Default Specifically Bendis on Action Comics

I can't remember when I've enjoyed Action Comics this much. I don't think we've had a Superman title that involves the Daily Planet characters as much as this in a while. The Red Cloud and Leviathan stories are really cool, I really look forward to this Superman title. I'm on the fence on the main Superman title, and I'm not reading Batman/Superman, so this is currently my fav.

Spectacular Member

I recently commented that Superman is better than Action Comics currently. Action is an example of how not to do a comic book. Superman shows how a comic book is to be done.

Nothing happens in Action Comics that requires so many issues to tell.

Oh, Action is definitely the stronger title between the two. I am loving most of the cosmic stuff Bendis is doing in Superman but the pacing, the characterization, everything in Action is a little more even, a little more fluid, you can tell that this is Bendis' wheelhouse and the high concept stuff he's doing in Superman is just tourism.

Still, I'm greatly enjoying both books and I think Action is the strongest look we've had at Metropolis and the Planet since perhaps the triangle era.

The new Superman-Batman book is.....fine. Very much a re-tread of the Loeb era S/B title from the early 00's in terms of approach, tone, and characterization, and if I'm being honest the only reason I'm reading it is the art by Marquez (spelling?) but the writing is serviceable and the plot is vaguely kinda-sorta interesting.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Action Comics is the better book by far, but SUPERMAN has Ivan Reis so I am drawn to it more.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Action is the better book, full stop. Superman is fun, but it's the book where Bendis is dealing with untangling the status quo whereas Action is all content. Once Bendis stops using Superman to try and sort out Jon and the Legion, I'm hoping we'll settle back into Superman proper staring in his own book. I admit I'm still salty that the first fourteen issues were essentially the prologue to Legion (which was unceremoniously taken from Clark), but it's genuinely a fun read despite that. There's some absolutely bang-on characterization pretty much once an issue at minimum and it's always a treat Clark with actual respect and reverence.

Batman/Superman is one of the prettiest books you'll ever read about The Batman Who Laughs, possibly the most braindead thing to come out of Metal. As Ascended mentioned, it reads similarly to Loeb's stuff and thus feels a bit familiar, but that's not a bad thing. It's fine. We're one issue in so we'll see if it maintains or picks up steam with the next few salvos, but definitely pick it up for the art if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Action Comics is the better book by far, but SUPERMAN has Ivan Reis so I am drawn to it more.
    Yes, agreed, its why I still pick it up. He's amazing.