Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's his ego and obsessiveness.

He's absolutely brilliant but he still has personal foibles and issues that get in the way.

Just like Riddler is probably smarter then most anyone but he can't help himself by leaving clues that end up getting him caught.
    Like Lightning Rider said, there are different kinds of intelligence and this is clearly the subject where Lex would be stuck in the remedial class.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Like Lightning Rider said, there are different kinds of intelligence and this is clearly the subject where Lex would be stuck in the remedial class.
    Intellectually he's probably above anyone but with emotional intelligence he's much more susceptible, but I think he can rein the latter in when he needs to.

Extraordinary Member

Intellectually he's probably above anyone but with emotional intelligence he's much more susceptible, but I think he can rein the latter in when he needs to.
    I'll believe that when he kills Superman.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

We know that's never going to happen .

But again, I don't think Luthor not being able to kill Superman means he's dumb but that he has issues besides his intelligence that prevent him from achieving victory, like Superman being a better man then he is.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'm sure I posted something similar before but why not:

Strategic Intelligence-Batman. Being a vulnerable, flesh and flood human being gives Batman a unique understanding of using strengths and weaknesses in every calculation. Coupled with his knowledge of psychology, martial arts, and technology, and he's the strongest here. Outlandish feats aside, this one makes a lot of sense for the character.

Raw Computing Ability-Superman. He probably counts the world's population in real time for fun and perceive astronomical quantities. It's all just there for him to see, the universe on display.

Emotional Intelligence-Wonder Woman. The queen of empathy, understanding a human's emotional state comes easily to Diana. She has the exceptional capacity to appeal to people's sentiments and bring peace where there is turmoil.

Scientific Expertise-Ray Palmer. He's made the study of science his life's work and taken it beyond any of his peers. Lex might closely follow and Bruce is no slouch, but Palmer knows as much as anyone could about how the material world operates. Superman might have an edge in understanding things beyond human comprehension, but his is a different methodology. Palmer knows science as formulated by the human species.

Athletic/Spatial Intelligence-Mr. Terrific. Part of the reason he's so adaptive is that he has an innate understanding of how to marry his mind and body. There are obviously beings that can overpower him physically, but he is most in control of his own body's tactile capabilities.

Brainiac and the New Gods sit on top of everyone else in terms of raw knowledge and overall intellect though. He has all the knowledge and otherworldly analytics, while the New Gods have cosmic knowledge. They know the unknowable, and exist beyond our plane.

Grundy and Bizarro am hate this stoopid thread list!!!
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-11-2019 at 02:36 PM.

Retired

The Schwartz era revival heroes were all given good reasons to be intelligent. The Flash, already being a police-scientist, could think fast. The Atom, being a physicist, could use his size changing abilities to explore the inner workings of things. Green Lantern might not have been a scientist but he had a ring that could give him all the knowledge of the universe. Hawkman and Hawkwoman had all the knowledge of Earth downloaded into their brains. Elongated Man was one of the world's greatest detectives. Adam Strange, an archaeologist, was the thinking man's hero, who defeated his enemies on Rann through intellect.

Extraordinary Member

We know that's never going to happen .

But again, I don't think Luthor not being able to kill Superman means he's dumb but that he has issues besides his intelligence that prevent him from achieving victory, like Superman being a better man then he is.
    Oh, by no means do I think Lex is dumb by any stretch of the imagination. I just question just how intelligent given that he seems completely incapable of deducing that his real arch foe is himself.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The Schwartz era revival heroes were all given good reasons to be intelligent. The Flash, already being a police-scientist, could think fast. The Atom, being a physicist, could use his size changing abilities to explore the inner workings of things. Green Lantern might not have been a scientist but he had a ring that could give him all the knowledge of the universe. Hawkman and Hawkwoman had all the knowledge of Earth downloaded into their brains. Elongated Man was one of the world's greatest detectives. Adam Strange, an archaeologist, was the thinking man's hero, who defeated his enemies on Rann through intellect.
    Great point. Forgot about the Hawks and History, no-brainer.

He’s done that a few times. Earth 0 Lex just needs to get serious about it lol.

Some people are just naturally smarter than most. Some people can learn more easily and have he capacity for brilliance. It's called a genius. I think Lex Luthor is one of them. He's just better at intellectual intelligence more than most. I really never saw Batman in that level. He's not a genius. And if he is now, I don't like it. He doesn't need it.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I really never saw Batman in that level. He's not a genius. And if he is now, I don't like it. He doesn't need it.
    Well, being DC's Sherlock Holmes kind of automatically gives him genius points. How much of a genius? That we can debate.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Oh, by no means do I think Lex is dumb by any stretch of the imagination. I just question just how intelligent given that he seems completely incapable of deducing that his real arch foe is himself.
    I think that's a completely separate issue from quantifying his intelligence though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Well, being DC's Sherlock Holmes kind of automatically gives him genius points. How much of a genius? That we can debate.
    Well, if we're equating detective skills to intelligence then Elongated Man and Detective Chimp are smarter then Batman...

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Well, if we're equating detective skills to intelligence then Elongated Man and Detective Chimp are smarter then Batman...
    Except there's more to Batman than those two intellect-wise. Besides, he's still the world's greatest detective.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Except there's more to Batman than those two intellect-wise. Besides, he's still the world's greatest detective.
    They can still out-detect him when they need too .