Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

It has to be Brainiac 5, or some other cosmic character.

I remember there was an alien from a silver age Superman comic who had 20th level intellect, forgot his name though.

But on Earth it should be Lex Luthor.

Retired

Apparently, William James Sidis (born in 1898) was one of the smartest people in the history of the world, with an IQ estimated to be close to 300 (if such can be measured). He was already proficient in English by one year of age and by six he knew Russian, French, German, Hebrew, Turkish, and Armenian--and had his own invented language. Between the ages of four and eight, he had written two books on anatomy and two books on astronomy. He was lecturing in mathematics at Harvard by age eleven. We don't know how many books he wrote and published in his lifetime, because he often used pen names for his works. However, the burden of so much intelligence didn't make for a very happy life.

I wonder if the example of William James Sidis influenced the creation of Terry Sloane, the original Mr. Terrific, as they appear to have similar characteristics--and Sidis would have been known to folks in the early 1940s, as James Thurber had written about him (not kindly) in the NEW YORKER in 1937 (which became the subject of a lawsuit).

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Batman should never be the smartest person on earth.
    Thats fucking asanine and character shilling of the highest level. Luthor ? Maybe. His whole schtick is to be the Brains to Supermans brawn. But Batman ? **** off.
    So much this. I'm fine with Bruce being the world's greatest detective. But smartest in a general sense is just way too much.

I think, as far as humans go, Lex makes the most thematic sense. If Clark's the strongest, Lex is the smartest.

But Terrific really should get more credit for his intellect too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If I had my way it would be Mr. Terrific as the smartest man in the hero column. Lex Luthor the smartest man in the villain column.
    So this would be my choice.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

2 people you never heard of that are wasting away somewhere, and then Mr. Terrific.

Lex Luthor is up there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    So much this. I'm fine with Bruce being the world's greatest detective. But smartest in a general sense is just way too much.

I think, as far as humans go, Lex makes the most thematic sense. If Clark's the strongest, Lex is the smartest.

But Terrific really should get more credit for his intellect too.
    I think in a raw intelligence sense Batman doesn't compare to Luthor, Michael Holt, or Ray Palmer. He's not a hard scientist.

I think what Batman is smartest is in instinctual and reactive intelligence where he can take and process a lot of information and use that to his advantage in outsmarting villains or coming up with clever solutions aided by his genius detective skills.

He can also read people enough to be able to figure out what they're doing to counterattack and subdue them.

So he's not a genius scientist and not the world's smartest, but he's smart in what he needs to be.

Batman should be number one.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think in a raw intelligence sense Batman doesn't compare to Luthor, Michael Holt, or Ray Palmer. He's not a hard scientist.

I think what Batman is smartest is in instinctual and reactive intelligence where he can take and process a lot of information and use that to his advantage in outsmarting villains or coming up with clever solutions aided by his genius detective skills.

He can also read people enough to be able to figure out what they're doing to counterattack and subdue them.

So he's not a genius scientist and not the world's smartest, but he's smart in what he needs to be.
    I prefer this approach to Bruce's intelligence. I don't understand the school of thought that Batman needs to be even in the conversation for the top 3 world's smartest, especially in a world with the likes of Cyborg*, Flash*, Ray Palmer, Mr. Terrific, and Luthor running about, because it makes him look pathetic that despite being "the smartest man" Gotham is still so insanely terrible to live. smartest man alive but can't figure out the revolving door criminal justice system problem in Gotham and his best solution for Gotham is to beat on the criminally insane in creative and expensive ways. he doesn't need to be the smartest, he just needs to be the best at what he does; being motherf***ing Batman.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Smartest Man alive Batman, yet cant figure out running around at night in a fabric costume will get you killed.

Smartest Man alive Batman, yet cant figure out running around at night in a fabric costume will get you killed.
    Too bad he wears Kevlar body armor then? Lex Luthor's the smartest man alive yet makes an enemy of one of the strongest beings in the universe? No too smart imo.

I don't get this nonsense about "if Batman's so smart why is Gotham so crappy?" Because they need stories to tell? If Bruce built inescapable cells who does he fight? Why does this argument only get used on him? If the DC earth is crawling with superheroes and super geniuses why do crime and disease still exist period? Because it would be boring if the characters existed in perfect utopias.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Too bad he wears Kevlar body armor then? Lex Luthor's the smartest man alive yet makes an enemy of one of the strongest beings in the universe? No too smart imo.

I don't get this nonsense about "if Batman's so smart why is Gotham so crappy?" Because they need stories to tell? If Bruce built inescapable cells who does he fight? Why does this argument only get used on him? If the DC earth is crawling with superheroes and super geniuses why do crime and disease still exist period? Because it would be boring if the characters existed in perfect utopias.
    I get that you Stan Batman but be realistic. He's not the smartest man on DC Earth.

I get that you Stan Batman but be realistic. He's not the smartest man on DC Earth.
    Cool, we're in agreement cause I never said he was.

That's an insanely hard question because I'm not even sure we all agree on what smart is...

There are several kind of intelligence, several domains of proficiency and, it is generally acknowledge you can't be good everywhere.

This being said, if we're talking galactic levels and all, maybe the new gods or beyond the source wall.

On earth, not easy, Mr. Terrific seems a good candidate.
    Lex Luthor not figuring out Supes identity where Rah's could deduce Batman's one makes me doubt is the smartest. Let's not forget the plethoria of geniuses which with no education nor budget, invented crazy stuff (hence why to me, Peter Parker is one of the smartest people around).

I'd say, Ted Kord, Lucius Fox, Will Magnus, Niles Caulder, Barbara Gordon and The Calculator are other strong contenders all of them in their own category.

Storywise being the smartest person on earth is not that interesting, either you get a non functionnal character(yoi can't be that smart without social consquences, either the character is so broken and overpowered you can't write stories either he is a gary stu..

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Jacket View Post
    That's an insanely hard question because I'm not even sure we all agree on what smart is...

There are several kind of intelligence, several domains of proficiency and, it is generally acknowledge you can't be good everywhere.

This being said, if we're talking galactic levels and all, maybe the new gods or beyond the source wall.

On earth, not easy, Mr. Terrific seems a good candidate.
    Lex Luthor not figuring out Supes identity where Rah's could deduce Batman's one makes me doubt is the smartest. Let's not forget the plethoria of geniuses which with no education nor budget, invented crazy stuff (hence why to me, Peter Parker is one of the smartest people around).

I'd say, Ted Kord, Lucius Fox, Will Magnus, Niles Caulder, Barbara Gordon and The Calculator are other strong contenders all of them in their own category.

Storywise being the smartest person on earth is not that interesting, either you get a non functionnal character(yoi can't be that smart without social consquences, either the character is so broken and overpowered you can't write stories either he is a gary stu..
    I don't think Lex not figuring out who superman is. In Action Comics 1000 Snyder's story he seems know Clark identity from them childhood, He just never cared about
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Simple: Darkseid is
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Wow how has no one mentioned Metron of the new gods yet!