Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Ok. So, then what about the guys that don't follow any one of the the aforementioned criteria? Are they nit superhero? Dr.occult, Constantine, .. Etc don't have costumes at all.
    From what little I know of Dr Occult, he isn't considered a superhero, more like a detective. Constantine isn't considered a superhero. In fact, he barely qualifies as a regular hero in the first place.

Crimson avenger didn't either, he just had a mask and red outfit.
    Yeah, that's called a superhero costume.

There are plenty of guys that don't have superpowers are still called superheroes.
    When did I say having superpowers was a requirement? I've been very adamant that Jimmy does not qualify in spite of the times he has temporarily gained superpowers.

Status quo isn't relable factor to judge whether a guy is superhero or not because it changes constantly and there is not even a set time interval for a status quo.
    If Bruce Wayne's status quo is that he is a kindergarten teacher while still being Batman then he is a superhero. If Bruce has retired to be a teacher then he is no longer a superhero. This isn't complicated.

That's only cause, modern comics thinks of itself as above of such story lines and too 'mature'.Those transformation haven't been shown postcrisis modern comics. I am sure it has the chance to be popular, if tried. Jimmy can be known as turtle boy or Mr. Action,not just superman's pal.
    This is a completely different argument entirely. We are talking about what Jimmy Olsen is not what he was or could be. ANd Jimmy was never a superhero as a long lasting status quo. Nor are we talking about whether or no t superhero comics take themselves too seriously which is always a pointless debate that doesn't actually say anything about the stories themselves.

Clark kent persona was a running joke. Now, it's made so serious that people don't even get the joke. Jimmy has saved people and be turned serious as well. So,why isn't jimmy superhero?
    By your own admission they aren't even doing these types of stories with him anymore.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-31-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Zatanna or Mera

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    From what little I know of Dr Occult, he isn't considered a superhero, more like a detective. Constantine isn't considered a superhero. In fact, he barely qualifies as a regular hero in the first place.

Yeah, that's called a superhero costume.

When did I say having superpowers was a requirement? I've been very adamant that Jimmy does not qualify in spite of the times he has temporarily gained superpowers.

If Bruce Wayne's status quo is that he is a kindergarten teacher while still being Batman then he is a superhero. If Bruce has retired to be a teacher then he is no longer a superhero. This isn't complicated.

This is a completely different argument entirely. We are talking about what Jimmy Olsen is not what he was or could be. ANd Jimmy was never a superhero as a long lasting status quo. Nor are we talking about whether or no t superhero comics take themselves too seriously which is always a pointless debate that doesn't actually say anything about the stories themselves.

By your own admission they aren't even doing these types of stories with him anymore.
    He is called the ghost detective. Hellblazer is generally categorised as superhero comics regardless of constantine's morality . I don't understand, many call them superheros. If they aren't 't. then, is mandrake not a superhero either?
    Wearing mask is all that it takes to be a superhero? So, zoro and the green hornet are one as well? Well that's just a flimsy definition if you ask me.

Yeah! That status quo reverts in mere days in comics. One second jon is a baby,the next he is a 17 year old boy. Status quo isn't a reliable metric.

They did in the all star superman comic. I am since all star has become such a hit. Jimmy can get back to having his wierd adventures.jimmy saves people. He has had many powers through out. Some, lasting more than one or two issues. He has worn costumes. He appears in superhero comics and starred in one. Yet, he isn't a superhero.lois as well.

He is called the ghost detective.
    Your point?

Hellblazer is generally categorised as superhero comics regardless of constantine's morality .
    No it isn't. In fact, attempts to make John Constantine into a typical superhero have often failed. Anyone who is calling Constantine a superhero is wrong.

I don't understand, many call them superheros.
    I have seen very few people refer to Jimmy or Constantine as superheroes.

Wearing mask is all that it takes to be a superhero? So, zoro and the green hornet are one as well? Well that's just a flimsy definition if you ask me.
    Zoro is considered a prototype of the superhero. The Green Hornet has always been considered a superhero.

Yeah! That status quo reverts in mere days in comics. One second jon is a baby,the next he is a 17 year old boy. Status quo isn't a reliable metric.
    This is not what I am talking about and you know it. Whether Superman is a superhero is not dependent on how old his kid is.

They did in the all star superman comic.
    You mean the out-of-continuity story?

BANNED

Rose/Thorn
    Seriously speaking it should be canary or Liberty Belle.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    Rose/Thorn
    Seriously speaking it should be canary or Liberty Belle.
    I second Liberty Belle. So glad I got to see her again recently in DDC #12.

Killer Frost- having her be someone's sponsor in rehabilitation could be interesting.

Your point?

No it isn't. In fact, attempts to make John Constantine into a typical superhero have often failed. Anyone who is calling Constantine a superhero is wrong.

I have seen very few people refer to Jimmy or Constantine as superheroes.

Zoro is considered a prototype of the superhero. The Green Hornet has always been considered a superhero.

This is not what I am talking about and you know it. Whether Superman is a superhero is not dependent on how old his kid is.

You mean the out-of-continuity story?
    How old his son is explains the reliability of status quo. It changes every month. One minute superman is the champion of the oppressed in new52. Another, he became a family man leading quiet life. Status quo is a joke.
    His code name. Zoro is prototype, why? When green hornet is not. Zoro wears a mask and helps people. By your definition he should be as well. What about the Phantom?
    Failure doesn't mean anything. It is categorised as superhero comics. I have actually,many.jimmy is a sidekick. Superman's only other one. He is like dick grayson to bruce wayne. Nightwing and flamebird ring any bells. If dick grayson is a superhero. The original flamebird is more than qualified.
    Continuity - shmuntinuity,who cares. it worked. All star is the best superman comic last two decades.in it jimmy had wierd adventures and transformed.

How old his son is explains the reliability of status quo. It changes every month. One minute superman is the champion of the oppressed in new52. Another, he became a family man leading quiet life. Status quo is a joke.
    Again, Jon's age is completely irrelevant to what I am talking about in regards to what I am talking about. I honestly can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse right now.

His code name. Zoro is prototype, why?
    For starters, he was created before the term superhero existed.

When green hornet is not. Zoro wears a mask and helps people. By your definition he should be as well. What about the Phantom?
    Fine. The Phantom is one. Doesn't make Jimmy or Lois superheroes.

Failure doesn't mean anything. It is categorised as superhero comics.
    No it is not. Read the stories. Read how his own writers have described him. John Constantine is not and never has been a superhero. He doesn't even fit the description you use above.

I have actually,many.jimmy is a sidekick.

Sidekick doesn't automatically mean superhero.

Nightwing and flamebird ring any bells.
    Last I checked, Jimmy isn't using that identity anymore.

Continuity - shmuntinuity,who cares. it worked. All star is the best superman comic last two decades.in it jimmy had wierd adventures and transformed.
    The Injustice games are critically acclaimed and the most financially successful DC games produced next the Arkham games. But no one would seriously argue that their depictions of Superman and Wonder Woman is remotely accurate. All Star's depiction of Jimmy has no bearing on the main version who has not been a superhero for the majority of his existence.

Feel free to have the last word on this if you want. I'm done with this argument.

Extraordinary Member

I would agree that John Constantine is not a superheroine. Well, unless there's a part to his story I haven't heard.

I would go with pairings that haven't already been done. Canary is obvious, but she's been done by Gail Simone. Z also has been done and is too obvious.

Leaving also aside Diana's own family of heroines, what about Mary Marvel? Yeah, the age difference, but I would think a sort of mentor/friend relationship? Supergirl has been paired with Diana quite often, but what about Power Girl? Sci-fi hero heroine with fantasy heroine, different but very strong personalities. The few times they've been paired have been interesting. Ice maybe? Quieter sort, but with a Diana worship thing going if you dig deep enough. I like the idea of those heroines she hasn't worked with a lot.

Astonishing Member

Diana's 'best friend' should be a former villain whose she successfully managed to reform. She was originally supposed to spread the love and peace to the world of man(long before writers decided that the Amazons were not good people).

Again, Jon's age is completely irrelevant to what I am talking about in regards to what I am talking about. I honestly can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse right now.

For starters, he was created before the term superhero existed.

Fine. The Phantom is one. Doesn't make Jimmy or Lois superheroes.

No it is not. Read the stories. Read how his own writers have described him. John Constantine is not and never has been a superhero. He doesn't even fit the description you use above.

I have actually,many.jimmy is a sidekick.

Sidekick doesn't automatically mean superhero.

Last I checked, Jimmy isn't using that identity anymore.

The Injustice games are critically acclaimed and the most financially successful DC games produced next the Arkham games. But no one would seriously argue that their depictions of Superman and Wonder Woman is remotely accurate. All Star's depiction of Jimmy has no bearing on the main version who has not been a superhero for the majority of his existence.

Feel free to have the last word on this if you want. I'm done with this argument.
    I am sorry. If i seem stubborn. I can get like that. But, how am i obtuse? You said status quo is a judging criteria for what counts as superhero. But, i can't think of it as such. It's the most unreliable thing ever. It doesn't last even long and changes continuasly. Tell me how status quo can be reliable indicator?

I didn't use any discription. i am just trying to find out what a superhero is by asking questions. I am just testing your criteria. You know, wear a mask, save people, status quo.hellblazer is sold and marketed as superhero comics. That has to have some importance, right?

So,what? he was flamebird, once.He was a superhero.So he fits.The main one has fair bit of precrisis history including superboy adventures.jimmy could have easily been flamebird. And not only that,Earth-1985 is precrisis earth,which also has that history.Birthrigth was supposed to be a out of continuity origin story. But, it became the main earth. Anything that works can happen in main continuity. Jimmy osen transformations has my vote for happening in main continuity. I am sure some one like morrison or even bendis can make it happen.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Power Girl. Diana needs someone fun around her to keep her from getting too uptight.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I would agree that John Constantine is not a superheroine. Well, unless there's a part to his story I haven't heard.

I would go with pairings that haven't already been done. Canary is obvious, but she's been done by Gail Simone. Z also has been done and is too obvious.

Leaving also aside Diana's own family of heroines, what about Mary Marvel? Yeah, the age difference, but I would think a sort of mentor/friend relationship? Supergirl has been paired with Diana quite often, but what about Power Girl? Sci-fi hero heroine with fantasy heroine, different but very strong personalities. The few times they've been paired have been interesting. Ice maybe? Quieter sort, but with a Diana worship thing going if you dig deep enough. I like the idea of those heroines she hasn't worked with a lot.
    I proposed Nightshade on page 3.

Eve Eden aka Nightshade.

Both are princesses of distant lands but Diana's people are still around while Eve's are dead. They've both worked with government agencies and have dealings with DC's magical and mystical corners. Their powers and costumes make for an interesting contrast (Diana wears bright colors and is a flying brick while Eve wears black, purple or dark blue and is an umbrakinetik).

Dinah doesn't sound like a bad choice but I prefer her being Barbara's best friend.

Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.