Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    BANNED

I don't mean to poop on the thread, but I think this is a bit of an odd request. Wonder Woman's best friend should be Etta Candy, in my opinion.

As for what superheroine it might be interesting to see her team with, perhaps Power Girl. I'd like to see who is tougher between them.

I like to think Zatanna would be. Not only are they daughters raised by incredibly impressive single parents, they’re intimately familiar with the metaphysical and magical reality around them. Each woman engages with that reality differently, which allows them to have their own goals and areas of expertise. They each have goals outside of superheroic activity, but are drawn in because of responsibilities to the world at large.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Does lois lane count?

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Does lois lane count?
    She isn't a superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    She isn't a superhero.
    lois has had her share of Vigilantism through out her career . She had different powers throughout her career as well.

BANNED

Given similarities I’d say Mera, Barda, Kori would work. With their similarities they should have some mutual understandings with each other, maybe a mutual interest in each other’s culture too. With Mera for some reason being the Queen right now it could start as a way to further diplomatic connections between their two nations.

I could see Hawkgirl being in the conversation too, currently being in the JL and all.

To me those seem to make the most sense for a consistent friendship

Given similarities I’d say Mera, Barda, Kori would work. With their similarities they should have some mutual understandings with each other, maybe a mutual interest in each other’s culture too. With Mera for some reason being the Queen right now it could start as a way to further diplomatic connections between their two nations.
    I don't find Barda at all similar (or at least, being raised in Apokalips as a warrior should be entirely different than being raised among the Amazons as a warrior). Nor is Mera that similar. But a lack of similarity is no reason not to be best buds, so either could work. Not Kori, though. It would make me sad, remembering what used to be a point of commonality and bonding with Donna and seeing that shift to Diana. Because I do think Kori should be Donna's best female friend (with Dick her BFF, as per NTT).

I could see Hawkgirl being in the conversation too, currently being in the JL and all.
    I know little of the modern Hawks (didn't even know there was a Hawgirl v. Hawkwoman), so can't comment there.

I don't mean to poop on the thread, but I think this is a bit of an odd request. Wonder Woman's best friend should be Etta Candy, in my opinion.
    I agree, but per OP, they want superheroine teamup-team. Etta did tons of heroics, of course, but as a supporting character, not a hero. I'd also stay away from spinoffs of male characters, now that I think about it.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-31-2019 at 07:27 AM.

lois has had her share of Vigilantism through out her career . She had different powers throughout her career as well.
    That doesn't make her a superhero. Those were at most, temporary stories.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I don't find Barda at all similar (or at least, being raised in Apokalips as a warrior should be entirely different than being raised among the Amazons as a warrior). Nor is Mera that similar. But a lack of similarity is no reason not to be best buds, so either could work. Not Kori, though. It would make me sad, remembering what used to be a point of commonality and bonding with Donna and seeing that shift to Diana. Because I do think Kori should be Donna's best female friend (with Dick her BFF, as per NTT).

I know little of the modern Hawks (didn't even know there was a Hawgirl v. Hawkwoman), so can't comment there.

I agree, but per OP, they want superheroine teamup-team. Etta did tons of heroics, of course, but as a supporting character, not a hero. I'd also stay away from spinoffs of male characters, now that I think about it.
    Going off the New52. Themyscira and Apokolips is pretty similar they even have a love child between the two nations connecting them.

By similar I mean both from mythical nations where they are bred to fight since childhood. In Barda’s case she might not care to much about where she comes from but I’d imagine Kori and Mera do have some type of loyalty to their nations similar to Diana. Mans world/The Surface world/Earth would all be a pretty foreign place for each of them being immigrants in a way and coming their in adulthood and we could get a viewpoint on that and their different thinking’s of the place through each other’s eyes. Just my thought on it though

That doesn't make her a superhero. Those were at most, temporary stories.
    So. What is a superhero? Does jimmy count? I mean, his transformations aren't just temporary. They have become part of the character. Jimmy turns into things, that's his thing. And if crimson avenger is considered a superhero then why isn't lois?

A huge problem is that most DC writers have been men, and men with little idea on how to write women, and even less friendship between women.

So if we look at the published comics, there is really only a single in-continuity writer who has really shown Wonder Woman with female friends, and that's Gail Simone. Which pretty much means that Black Canary and Wonder Woman are close friends and confidantes. They might not be that social as friends go, but they trust each other implicitly.

Zatanna and Wonder Woman are interesting, and I like the dynamic that Tynion set up and developed in JLD. They knew and respected each other, but at the same time Zatanna didn't really trust Wonder Woman, mainly because their relations to magic and the supernatural were too dissimilar. Zatanna would certainly trust Diana on personal matters; not so much when dealing with supernatural stuff. But I think it's clear now that Zatanna and Wonder Woman has developed a deep friendship by now in JLD.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Going off the New52. Themyscira and Apokolips is pretty similar they even have a love child between the two nations connecting them.
    I definitely do not like the N52 Amazons - they are not what the Amazons should be to me. Don't care for Grail, either, though I've had little exposure.

By similar I mean both from mythical nations where they are bred to fight since childhood.
    This goes to the New52 v. other versions. Apokolips is a hellscape and Themyscira should be a paradise (island). One is all about negative values, and the other all about positive ones.

So. What is a superhero?
    A superhero is a person who puts on a costume and fights crime, usually with a codename. This has to be the character's permanent, ongoing status quo, not just a gimmick that appears once in a while

Does jimmy count? I mean, his transformations aren't just temporary.
    Yes they are. There's a reason Jimmy Olsen is known as Superman's friend not Turtle Boy or Mr Action.

They have become part of the character.
    They're a running joke. It doesn't make Jimmy a superhero.

And if crimson avenger is considered a superhero then why isn't lois?
    See my above comment.

A superhero is a person who puts on a costume and fights crime, usually with a codename. This has to be the character's permanent, ongoing status quo, not just a gimmick that appears once in a while

Yes they are. There's a reason Jimmy Olsen is known as Superman's friend not Turtle Boy or Mr Action.

They're a running joke. It doesn't make Jimmy a superhero.

See my above comment.
    Ok. So, then what about the guys that don't follow any one of the the aforementioned criteria? Are they nit superhero? Dr.occult, Constantine, .. Etc don't have costumes at all. Crimson avenger didn't either, he just had a mask and red outfit. They just turned that. There are plenty of guys that don't have superpowers are still called superheroes.Status quo isn't relable factor to judge whether a guy is superhero or not because it changes constantly and there is not even a set time interval for a status quo.

That's only cause, modern comics thinks of itself as above of such story lines and too 'mature'.Those transformation haven't been shown postcrisis modern comics. I am sure it has the chance to be popular, if tried. Jimmy can be known as turtle boy or Mr. Action,not just superman's pal.

Clark kent persona was a running joke. Now, it's made so serious that people don't even get the joke. Jimmy has saved people and be turned serious as well. So,why isn't jimmy superhero?

Clark Kent persona was never a running joke. Jimmy, I don't care if he's a joke or not, he's at least a part time super-hero as Elastic Lad or Turtle Boy, and he's Superman's best friend. Etta Candy can be Diana's best friend too.

But, as per OP, and assuming her longstanding friendship with Superman himself is off the table, I'd say... maybe Zatanna? I also like the Mera idea.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."