Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    “Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserves neither” I don’t know who said the quote but it’s true.
    Fine words… it's easy to be courageous with words, though. I have seen few movies when the heroe dies and the villain wins at the end but I saw it once. And life is not like movies anyway…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Fine words… it's easy to be courageous with words, though. I have seen few movies when the heroe dies and the villain wins at the end but I saw it once. And life is not like movies anyway…
    But you seem irate about the XMen apparently going this route lately....

Shrugs

Just sayin
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    But you seem irate about the XMen apparently going this route lately....

Shrugs

Just sayin
    It's their job… like firemen, soldiers… They are… were heroes.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

So what is the answer when the army shows up at their mansion and surrounds it and demands they turn themselves into the government to be cured or be killed!

I guess the only heroic thing is turn themselves in and allow themselves to be depowered or enslaved, that's the only answer right when a racist government wants to oppress, enslave, and control you!

If you resist or flee from the oppressive government then you aren't heroes because you are supposed to save these people from themselves by talking to them and playing nice and letting them imprison and kill your people.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    So what is the answer when the army shows up at their mansion and surrounds it and demands they turn themselves into the government to be cured or be killed!

I guess the only heroic thing is turn themselves in and allow themselves to be depowered or enslaved, that's the only answer right when a racist government wants to oppress, enslave, and control you!

If you resist or flee from the oppressive government then you aren't heroes because you are supposed to save these people from themselves by talking to them and playing nice and letting them imprison and kill your people.
    Maybe I should have stopped at firemen… there are other professions that needs a lot of courage but I didn't remember of them.
    Of course, being a soldier is controversial… but you are pleased when they are there to protect and save you.

Maybe I should have stopped at firemen… there are other professions that needs a lot of courage but I didn't remember of them.
    Of course, being a soldier is controversial… but you are pleased when they are there to protect and save you.

Your also usually paid for it. Unless you a volunteer and the fire doesn't make it personal. Fire can't think for itself. It just gets hot and burn. A fireman choosing to fight an object with no sentience to save the lives of innocent people is different than people risking their lives to save other people that are creatively trying to kill them.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

A better way to put it though is would a fireman go into the home of aam who killed his entire family to risk his own life to save said murderer from a fire?
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Your also usually paid for it. Unless you a volunteer and the fire doesn't make it personal. Fire can't think for itself. It just gets hot and burn. A fireman choosing to fight an object with no sentience to save the lives of innocent people is different than people risking their lives to save other people that are creatively trying to kill them.
    I don't know how the firemen are treated where you live but in my country, firemen can face difficult situations, people aren't always nice with them… which is a shame.
    Is being paid worth risking your life? I can't help thinking there must be something else.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Speaking of firemen, I'm reminded of when that fireman recognized how the X-Men were helping save orphans from a fire and seemed fine with cooperating with them despite being mutants in X-Men #25, and this was after the hysterical riots against mutants and sentinels were introduced.

I don't know how the firemen are treated where you live but in my country, firemen can face difficult situations, people aren't always nice with them… which is a shame.
    Is being paid worth risking your life? I can't help thinking there must be something else.
    In america people aren't usually mean to firemen. At least not in my experience. Just like in general people aren't mean to cops here, even when they shoot unarmed people.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

What i dont understand is how people cannot see the plothole.

1. Mutants are feared and persecuted because of their powers or how inhuman they could look; aliens, robots and other superheroes should automatically fall in this category. They dont.

2. The concept of humanity extinction throug the birth of mutants is dumb when most mutants look human, which sparks the possibility that humanity can identify with them, the fact that they are born from humans makes the case harder.

3. The problem is not even the hate, it can happen of course, the problem is how exaggerated is. Nations dont giving a **** about 16 million of people dying, giving their identities to Bastion to hunt down mutants, not doing anything with the terrigen mist.

4. The analogy with the real world racism is flawed when you have people that can pretty much make a total disaster with their abilities, there is a reasonable fear with the power of several characters, but not just mutants. We dont know how we would react if "Super People" were real.

If the answer to all of this points is "Comic book logic" then i agree, but that doesnt change the fact that is a plot hole. If writers pushes this hate narrative too much, we are never going to believe when the inevitable "lest join forces for the power of friendship" happens.

Sometimes i feel that this franchise has corner themselves.

How can you sell that coexistence is possible when mutants are still getting this irrational hate? if coexistence isnt possible what's next?? war?? it will never happen, mutants disapear?? not going to happen, isolation?? for how long?? Arent the X-Men already isolated enough??

The fact that isolation is the best answer tells you everything that you need to know about how writers have handled this series.
    Last edited by Lapsus; 10-22-2019 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post

1. Mutants are feared and persecuted because of his powers or how inhuman they could look; aliens, robots and other superheroes should automatically fall in this category. They dont.

2. The concept of humanity extinction throug the birth of mutants is dumb when most mutants look human, which sparks the possibility that humanity can identify with them, the fact that they are born from humans makes the case harder.

3. The problem is not even the hate, it can happen of course, the problem is how exaggerated is. Nations dont giving a **** about 16 million of people dying, giving their identities to Bastion to hunt down mutants, not doing anything with the terrigen mist.

4. The analogy with real world racism is flawed when you have people that can pretty much make a total dissater with their abilities, there is a reasonable fear with the power of several characters, but not just mutants. We dont know how we would react if "Super People" will exist.

If the answer to all this points is "Comic book logic" the i agree, but that doesnt change the fact that is a plot hole. If writers pushes this hate narritive too much, we are never going to believe when the inevitable "lest join forces for the power of friendship" happens.

Sometimes i fell that this franchise has corner themselves because how can you sell that coexistence is possible when mutants are still getting this irration hate? if coexistence isnt possible what's next?? war?? it will never happen, mutants disapear?? not going to happen, isolation?? for how long?? Arent the X-Men already isolated enough??

1. People are feared and hated for being immigrants but brown immigrants are treated differently than white one.

2. People of color and gay people are human beings but people feel like they are trying to replace them and take away what was once great to them.

3.The problem isn't hate, it's the result, the problem is fear, just like people fear the different in the real world.

4. In the real world there are mass murderers using AK 47s and cars to create mass murders and they are still given a sympathy in the media and by people others aren't afforded simply because of the color of their skin or their religious affiliation.

Not that hard to believe.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post

1. Mutants are feared and persecuted because of his powers or how inhuman they could look; aliens, robots and other superheroes should automatically fall in this category. They dont.
    Yep, in regards to many, though not all, of Marvel's writers, I can understand why it can be a hard sell by explaining that mutants are hated, but superpowered non-mutants aren't, is because of "irrational hatred," because that sort of scenario can seem a little too nuanced and specific to be irrational.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Except for Cyclops, Surge, and Rogue. When the narrative needs to them be cool with inhibitor they will use an inhibitor. And yes those are inhibitor devices. The X-men are smart enough to give people without of control powers an inhibitor but not smart enough to give everyone inhibitors until they can control their powers. So either the mutants don't really have a high chance of going out of control or X-men are stupid and don't realize the inherent danger of mutant powers.
    OK, so...question: is it cool for people to be afraid of mutants until these inhibitor devices 1) are developed and 2) are mainstream enough to be a guaranteed countermeasure?

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    1. People are feared and hated for being immigrants but brown immigrants are treated differently than white one.

2. People of color and gay people are human beings but people feel like they are trying to replace them and take away what was once great to them.

3.The problem isn't hate, it's the result, the problem is fear, just like people fear the different in the real world.

4. In the real world there are mass murderers using AK 47s and cars to create mass murders and they are still given a sympathy in the media and by people others aren't afforded simply because of the color of their skin or their religious affiliation.

Not that hard to believe.
    1. Yes but from the point of view of a racist all black people are hated, all muslims are hated, all mexicans are hated. You dont see a white racist saying "I cant stand Bantu people but i like Nilotic people""Sunnies sucks men, Shia are the best""As long as those mexicans dont come from sinaloa, im ok"

2. Is not comparable, Humanity in 616, for stupid reasons, feel that extinction is coming to them because of Mutants. Homophobes hate gay people for various dumb reasons, concept of family, religion, puritanism ect... but extinction??

3. In the case of the Marvel universe, i agree, the origin is fear to powers, but that should include other Superheroes and the aliens.
    In the case of the real world, several reasons, ethnic hostilities, imperialism, nationalism, religion, sense of superiority ect...

4. Mass murders cannot be comparable with, for example, the Genosha incident, not even the narcotrafic war in mexico, not even the atomic bomb. Super Powers are way, way more scary than mass shooting or civil wars on the other side of the world. People think that "This will never happen to me" with powers or alien invasions, there is no feel of security.

For me, the prejuice in the Marvel universe doesnt make sense as presented.
    Last edited by Lapsus; 10-22-2019 at 05:05 PM.