Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

I think people don't understand how racism can become second nature to people. Like a woman calling the police on a young black girl selling lemonade on the sidewalk.

Or a young boy playing with a toy pistol in park and then getting gunned down by the Police without any warning at all because someone saw the little black boy and thought he had a real gun.

Or some police officer walking into the wrong apartment and just outright killing the black man who was sitting on his own couch eating ice cream while watching TV, and then she lied to her own precinct and tried to say that the black man had threatened her. Lucky the evidence showed that he had his frigging ice cream cone in his hand when he died and that he hadn't even gotten off the couch.

Or some woman calling the police to report that several African american people were causing problems in her neighborhood. The police show up, the people were having a frigging barbecue in a place where they were allowed to have barbecues. Lucky in this case the police just went over and confirmed that the white woman was harassing the people in the park and they told her to go home or they would charge her with harassing people. Technically they should probably have charged her with making a false report, but in this case I think the police just wanted to de-escalate things.

This type of racism isn't even out in the open, it's just become so much part of some people's day to day lives that they are racist without even thinking about it. They live in this fear that "the other" is out to get them and they make false police reports, they jump at every shadow around a building, and they assume that somehow every single black person around them is a threat to their life. It's allowing the fear of "the other" to get so severe that they lose all sense.

To me the mutants have existed with this escalating fear. I can imagine there is a Fox News in the United States in the Marvel Universe. I bet they spend 24 hours a day showing scenes of people being hurt by a mutant, over and over and over. They stoke the fear, they have commentators come on and say that mutants are going to kill everyone or take over the United States, they tell people to buy guns so they can protect themselves from the inevitable mutant civil war that is coming. Some of the politicians jump on the bandwagon because the hate and fear gets them votes so they stand on their podiums and tell their constituents how they are going to go to Washington and stop these mutants from destroying the way of life for god fearing Americans. They are going to be warriors of God and purge these dirty mutants out of our country and protect good hard working Americans from these dirty SJW mutants who are constantly preaching for equality and taking our social assistance money and our food stamps and our jobs! You know that construction company in town, I heard they hired some mutant who could replace 10 humans because she was so strong. Mutants are taking our jobs from good god fearing American men and women, they are evil, they are sent by Satan to take away our livelihood and our god fearing nation and our guns!
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Even if black people were more inclined to commit crime, they're still not 1:1 as potentially dangerous as a mutant can be...
    All mutants are not dangerous so the point doesn't work. The comparison works because all Black men aren't the serial killer who killed 80 something people, All Muslims aren't the people who blew up the towers in 9/11 and all mutants aren't the one mutant that destroys everything. It doesn't matter if one can nuke and destory the world. You put in measures to handle individual not the group. You don't judge a group on one person and the dangerous argument is the same one they use for mutants in fiction is what they use real life to justify their prejudice. The "level of danger" doesn't matter that person isn't everyone in their race. Every individual makes their own choices and have already explained multiple times why the fiction isn't safer.

Moving on you think people aren't nukes and real people would be afraid of nukes, I think the fiction is stupid at times and makes stuff more inherently dangerous for drama.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-22-2019 at 09:02 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    All mutants are not dangerous so the point doesn't work.
    That's why it's scary. You don't know which about-to-hit-puberty pre-teenagers are going to uncontrollably blow up the school or death-touch their school dance's date, and which ones aren't.

And that's just before we get into all the other sorts of situations that can set off a mutant's powers. Road rage? Check bounced? Football/soccer game gone wrong? Wife/husband cheating? Hell, I've seen people get mad and cuss at a cashier when the store didn't sell a certain brand of cigarette.

Let's give these people pyrotechnic powers and "feel safe".

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I think people don't understand how racism can become second nature to people. Like a woman calling the police on a young black girl selling lemonade on the sidewalk.
    Yeah, totally same situation as the kid Northstar had to fly to Xavier's because he couldn't stop blowing up.

One is an irrational fear (obviously); one isn't.
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 10-22-2019 at 09:04 AM.

That's why it's scary. You don't know which about-to-hit-puberty pre-teenagers are going to uncontrollably blow up the school or death-touch their school dance's date, and which ones aren't.

And that's just before we get into all the other sorts of situations that can set off a mutant's powers. Road rage? Check bounced? Football/soccer game gone wrong? Wife/husband cheating? Hell, I've seen people get mad and cuss at a cashier when the store didn't sell a certain brand of cigarette.
    So we are going keep pretending that they can't

A. They can test for mutants at any age
    B. They can inhibit mutant powers

It is shame 616 Marvel doesn't have someone smart enough to create a device that mutants can wear. So they can control their powers and they would have a public safety issue. It is almost as if they mutants to be dangerous so it would make for a good story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So we are going keep pretending that can't

A. They can test for mutants
    B. They can inhibit mutant powers

It is shame Marvel doesn't have someone smart enough to create a device that mutants can wear. So they can control their powers and they would have a public safety issue. It is almost as if they mutants to be dangerous so it would make for a good story.
    It's almost as if every power inhibiting device has been met with resistance by the X-Men...

You're trying to insert the real world into the MU. I'm trying to insert mutants into the real world.

We're not even discussing the same topic.

Not really. A person can talk about the ins and outs of racism and discrimination all they like but unless they've experienced it they are just bystander speaking from a point of inexperience. But i do like the insight it offers reading what those people think. IMO being upset over people who have a problem with racism but never experienced the true horrors of it is like getting upset by someone who can't read giving one of your favorite books a negative review.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Not really. A person can talk about the ins and outs of racism and discrimination all they like but unless they've experienced it they are just bystander speaking from a point of inexperience. But i do like the insight it offers reading what those people think. IMO being upset over people who have a problem with racism but never experienced the true horrors of it is like getting upset by someone who can't read giving one of your favorite books a negative review.
    I kind of feel like that is where the divide is here on the forum. People from the LGBT community, African American community, and other minority groups can understand what it's like to live under racism and bigotry on a daily basis. Like walking out of a meeting at the local pride centre and some guys are waiting there in the hopes to bash the gays, lesbians, or transgender people who walk out. Then when you are lucky enough to be walking out with a large group those same tough guy white males get scared and run away at the last minute because there are too many people to take on. Of course they come back after hours so they can write horrible things on the wall or on the sidewalk in front, or deface any rainbow flags, or put up anti-lgbt posters around the building.

I can't speak to the experience of African American's personally, but I see it all over the news and how it feels to me that the racism is getting worse and more out in the open than it has been in years.

This is one of the reasons I always liked the X-Men, it was a story about the constant struggle against racism and bigotry. Krakoa is like the ultimate wish fulfilment, to be finally free of the oppressive racism and bigotry and get a fresh start in place where you can raise your children safely and not worry about the evil people coming around the corner with their baseball bats and their bibles and their hate!

On a side note, did you see they are doing a movie about Harriet Tubman the famous abolitionist!

It's almost as if every power inhibiting device has been met with resistance by the X-Men...
    Except for Cyclops, Surge, and Rogue. When the narrative needs to them be cool with inhibitor they will use an inhibitor. And yes those are inhibitor devices. The X-men are smart enough to give people without of control powers an inhibitor but not smart enough to give everyone inhibitors until they can control their powers. So either the mutants don't really have a high chance of going out of control or X-men are stupid and don't realize the inherent danger of mutant powers.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-22-2019 at 10:56 AM. Reason: nevermind waste of time

I kind of feel like that is where the divide is here on the forum. People from the LGBT community, African American community, and other minority groups can understand what it's like to live under racism and bigotry on a daily basis. Like walking out of a meeting at the local pride centre and some guys are waiting there in the hopes to bash the gays, lesbians, or transgender people who walk out. Then when you are lucky enough to be walking out with a large group those same tough guy white males get scared and run away at the last minute because there are too many people to take on. Of course they come back after hours so they can write horrible things on the wall or on the sidewalk in front, or deface any rainbow flags, or put up anti-lgbt posters around the building.

I can't speak to the experience of African American's personally, but I see it all over the news and how it feels to me that the racism is getting worse and more out in the open than it has been in years.

This is one of the reasons I always liked the X-Men, it was a story about the constant struggle against racism and bigotry. Krakoa is like the ultimate wish fulfilment, to be finally free of the oppressive racism and bigotry and get a fresh start in place where you can raise your children safely and not worry about the evil people coming around the corner with their baseball bats and their bibles and their hate!
    And that divide isn't even the inherent problem it's more they can't realise they are talking about it from the outside. A man can tell you what he thinks of PM's and what he has seen from people exhibiting but he can't expect to be an authoriqn on what PM's does to a woman physically and emotionally and act like he is giving her the truest facts. The real problem comes in the fact that they are so quick to be on the defensive they don't listen and actually think about it when they are hearing it from those truly experiencing it. So imo it just comes off as trying to make a point rather than really try to understand.

What I don't get is why people question it. Some of them can simply look in a mirror and go well "have I ever actually don't anything to help the black community or the gay community. I mean outside of the fact that I don't have a problem with it myself am I really doing anything to stop it. Am I really calling out other people or silently going on about my day." Now apply that to millions and millions of others who do more to try to explain the other side of racism than actually stop it. Now add those who are actively being racists unchecked. They should have their answer on a lot of these supposed questions and statements they make.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

This looks good. More empowering than most of these types of movies come off.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

This looks good. More empowering than most of these types of movies come off.
    yeah, I am looking forward to it. It's actually about time that someone did a movie about her, she is not just a famous African American, she is a famous woman from the history of the United States. She was an advocate for ending slavery before women even had the vote, that's astonishing when you think about it, she wasn't just a pioneer for African American rights, she was also a pioneer for women's rights too. I can't even fathom the amount of hate she had to live through, I imagine we'll see some of it in the movie.

yeah, I am looking forward to it. It's actually about time that someone did a movie about her, she is not just a famous African American, she is a famous woman from the history of the United States. She was an advocate for ending slavery before women even had the vote, that's astonishing when you think about it, she wasn't just a pioneer for African American rights, she was also a pioneer for women's rights too. I can't even fathom the amount of hate she had to live through, I imagine we'll see some of it in the movie.
    Yeah she was also going to be on the 20 dollar bill until the men in the white house that act like they don't see color had a different intent. I guess her contribution to American history isn't the same to some people. All the explaining going around the net that day for why it was pulled was a tour de France of bull.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Yeah she was also going to be on the 20 dollar bill until the men in the white house that act like they don't see color had a different intent. I guess her contribution to American history isn't the same to some people. All the explaining going around the net that day for why it was pulled was a tour de France of bull.
    Some days the hatred that comes out of the White House towards minorities and the LGBT community, it just feels a bit hopeless sometimes. Just like the Gerrymandering in Florida and Georgia. In reality both Andrew Gillum and Stacy Abrams should be governors of their states, but the corrupt Republican governors and their party made sure to make the elections as unfair as possible and who knows what other crimes they committed during the voting process that will never be properly investigated.

Up here in Canada we have the Conservative Party and the People's Party of Canada vying for who can have the most racist and bigoted supporters against all minorities.

Some days the hatred that comes out of the White House towards minorities and the LGBT community, it just feels a bit hopeless sometimes. Just like the Gerrymandering in Florida and Georgia. In reality both Andrew Gillum and Stacy Abrams should be governors of their states, but the corrupt Republican governors and their party made sure to make the elections as unfair as possible and who knows what other crimes they committed during the voting process that will never be properly investigated.

Up here in Canada we have the Conservative Party and the People's Party of Canada vying for who can have the most racist and bigoted supporters against all minorities.
    Yup just like the election was stolen from Gore. While all these people just dig their head in the sand. I use to spend so much time trying to understand it all but all you can really do is live your life, be kind to others, and help those who are open to change the best you can. I make sure I give myself 2 days a week now where I won't even touch the news. I will never understand it and that's okay.

What truly opened my eyes was when the repubs were all we are going to make sure obma is a one term president before he even opened his mouth but keep making excuses for Trump and telling the people to give him a chance after he lied , stole, and cheated people out of their livelihoods, as well as assaulted women. If a person can't see the inherent racism there or actually say anything meqniful about the supposed difference it tells me all I need to know.

But then we should be careful because those very same people hate using real world examples to discuss situations unless they are using real world examples to tell us how much more great things are now because there are black and gay celebrities

*Insert sure Jan meme.*
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.