Thread: Venom #18

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Default Venom #18

The preview for this issue is out and something Donny Cates hinted at earlier on twitter looks like it is going to happen in this issue.

spoilers:
    What do you guys think Dylan's character is going to be named when he gets his symbiote?
    end of spoilers

Hopefully this hasn't been discussed already somewhere else as I think it was pretty obvious it was going to happen, but tell me what you guys think!
    Baby Thanos

Extraordinary Member

I think it's a tad too obvious and I'm wondering if, given what Dylan is, if he even could bond to a symbiote, even Sleeper.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Considering that Dylan himself is the actual codex of Ann Weying, I'm wondering if he won't bond with a symbiote, but will actually transform into some kind of hybridized human-symbiote creature.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Considering that Dylan himself is the actual codex of Ann Weying, I'm wondering if he won't bond with a symbiote, but will actually transform into some kind of hybridized human-symbiote creature.
    This is what I'm wondering. There has to be some consequences to his conception besides just that codex. That being said, he hasn't really shown any sybiote traits and seems like a pretty normal, oddly well adjusted kid all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    I'm not sure how him having a codex would prevent him from bonding to a symbiote, if that were true, no one who's had a symbiote would be able to bond to one again which obviously isn't the case. Not to say there isn't more to Dylan than meets the eye, but if he can't bond, it'll be for an entirely different reason than codex.

Astonishing Member

Well, this was clearly going to happen. I mean, Eddie Brock's son merged with Venom's offspring? A lot of people are going to pay for that. And teauming up with Normie as "Red Goblin Child"' I think we will have the next generation of Venom and Carnage, but respecting each other.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    I'm not sure how him having a codex would prevent him from bonding to a symbiote, if that were true, no one who's had a symbiote would be able to bond to one again which obviously isn't the case. Not to say there isn't more to Dylan than meets the eye, but if he can't bond, it'll be for an entirely different reason than codex.
    I guess what we're wondering is, is Dylan even truly a human? Is there something else different about him?

That being said, Dylan bonding with Sleeper is way too tempting for someone not to do.

Astonishing Member

Super ultra late. Just read this, and loved this issue!

Absolutely loved how it focused on Dylan here (so glad he's still apart of Eddie and Venom's world; I stand by what I said earlier that Dylan is one of the best things that's happened to Eddie's character as a character in a long time), both introducing Sleeper to him and also teasing and hinting more of the mysteries that surround him.

Plus, the artwork and colors were superb! I just loved how much personality Iban Coello helped Cates give Dylan throughout this issue. High points include when we see Dylan try to come up with a plan to escape The Maker's clutches (he's a sharp lad and knows how Eddie roles, in spite of how relatively short a time they've personally known each other) and each of the moments we see him confidently and defiantly stand up to The Maker. Also, despite this being a single issue, it's made me want to see more of Dylan and Normie together. Coello did Normie justice, too, in the scene when he tells Dylan how scared he is.

And while I'm generally not super technical about art (I like what I like because I like it), Coello really knows how to draw kids. I appreciate the effort to show Dylan as Eddie's son on a visual level; we can see that he'll likely grow to a similar level of "hunkiness" like his dad one day, while still looking youthfully and kid-like, just like one would expect most pre-teen kids to look. And Normie contrasts Dylan; both look like kids, but Normie has a more rounded face then Dylan does. The subtle contrast helps compliment them both. And a big shout-out to the colorist, Rain Beredo, who always brought everything together.

Other points:

I see we got a "Hybrid" here. I still can't not think about poor Scott Washington and how his wrong has yet to be righted...The Hybrid with The Maker served its purpose in this issue, I won't deny, but the past is still a hang-up that took me out of things for a good moment when I first got to that part.

The ending of the heroes arriving just in time to save the day? Classic superhero genre and classic Marvel. Loved it. Enough said.

I'm curious as to if next issue will pick up exactly where this left off, or was this just a "lower deck episode" and we're gonna need to wait to learn more. I wanna know more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Well, this was clearly going to happen. I mean, Eddie Brock's son merged with Venom's offspring? A lot of people are going to pay for that. And teauming up with Normie as "Red Goblin Child"' I think we will have the next generation of Venom and Carnage, but respecting each other.
    Not gonna lie; this issue alone sold me on the theoretical concept. Would love for that to be a thing, as unlikely as it likely is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I guess what we're wondering is, is Dylan even truly a human? Is there something else different about him?

That being said, Dylan bonding with Sleeper is way too tempting for someone not to do.
    Considering both Sleeper and Dylan's connection to Eddie and Venom, it feels like destiny for them to bond.