View Poll Results: What was the best X-Men miniseries?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wolverine (1982)

19 27.94%
  • Magik (1983)

24 35.29%
  • Iceman (1983)

2 2.94%
  • Kitty Pryde and Wolverine (1984-1985)

6 8.82%
  • Nightcrawler (1985)

2 2.94%
  • Longshot (1985)

1 1.47%
  • X-Men vs. Avengers (1987)

4 5.88%
  • Fantastic Four vs. the X-Men (1987)

5 7.35%
  • Fallen Angels (1987)

2 2.94%
  • Havok and Wolverine: Meltdown (1988)

2 2.94%
  • X-Terminators (1988)

1 1.47%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

I voted for Wolverine, but only because one one could be picked. If it could have been multiples, I'd also have voted for:

Kitty Pryde & Wolverine
    Longshot
    Magik
    Firestar (it should have been included)

I've read all but Iceman, Nightcrawler, and Fallen Angels. the rest were all worth multiple readings.
    FF vs X-Men

FFvX should be read by everyone as a basic crash-course on how to follow-up on your new post-event plot threads.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I know she's a mutant, but isn't Firestar officially classed outside the X-Men? She's more associated with the New Warriors, Spider-Man and the Avengers, and I don't think DeFalco ever was an X-Men writer.
    Yeah, she actually took a long time to become part of the X-Men in 2013, despite meeting Professor X as far back as 1985's Uncanny X-Men #193, but despite that, I still considered her to be X-Men-related "enough."

I haven't actually read any of these, but Fallen Angels has cyborg lobsters.

Firestar's mini is definitely an X-book. The book is really entrenched in X-lore due not only to her being a mutant, but to the huge connection to Emma Frost and the Hellions.
    She may have become more of a New Warriors/Avengers character later, but her introduction only makes sense within the scenario Claremont was creating at the time.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa View Post
    Wolverine probably

but Longshot was always my favorite
    Iowa, a thousand thanks for being brave enough to vote for Longshot, while I was too stiffly honest and voted Magik instead. I would have felt awful if he got any vote at all.

Also thanks to mikelmcknight72 for his mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I always felt that Firestar was underappreciated, and so was her limited series by Tom DeFalco.
    What I liked the best of it was the combination of Mary Wilshire's & Steve Leialoha's art.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    FFvX should be read by everyone as a basic crash-course on how to follow-up on your new post-event plot threads.
    Agree.

Incredible Member

Wolverine was the ground breaker, and it was happening as Wolverine's popularity as a character was really taking off. It showed a side to the character which had never been shown before as well. The mini series is an interesting concept, because it was brand new around the turn of that decade with DC. So the format was fairly new, the concept of using a team player in a limited series of solo comics was also new and the idea of using Wolverine just five or so years earlier would have been laughed at.

So for me, although there were many really good ones (lots already mentioned) Wolverine was just so fresh and new at the time that it blew me away.

Extraordinary Member

Magik's series is still mentioned and brought up in modern era books as a reference point.
    Kitty and Wolverine was a very important run for both characters

Fallen Angels was dreadful, even for a New Mutants fan.

Amazing Member

Its Wolverine and its not even close. I'm not even a big Wolverine fan but The Wolverine mini-series is monumentally important in both Xmen and comicbook history in general. As popular as Wolverine was, the mini-series turn up Wolvie-mania to 1000. Without this book, there is no Xmen animated series, no Xmen movie, no Hugh Jackman and likely no MCU.

I think so far too many 1982 era 13 year olds ( I was one) are all too fondly remembering the Magik mini (as great as it was).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emesem View Post
    Its Wolverine and its not even close. I'm not even a big Wolverine fan but The Wolverine mini-series is monumentally important in both Xmen and comicbook history in general. As popular as Wolverine was, the mini-series turn up Wolvie-mania to 1000. Without this book, there is no Xmen animated series, no Xmen movie, no Hugh Jackman and likely no MCU.

I think so far too many 1982 era 13 year olds ( I was one) are all too fondly remembering the Magik mini (as great as it was).
    The Claremont era was over before I was born, and I still picked Magik.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emesem View Post

Nop.

I can't argue that 'Wolverine' is immensely relevant, popular and influential in following X-Men / Marvel / mainstream comic-books.

But the question here is which was the best series (I understand this means 'quality' of the work). Codly and objectively, I (IMHO) think the best is 'Magik'.

If I had vote with my heart, I obviously would voted for 'Longshot'.

Its defiantly Magik, followed by Longshot, and then X-terminators. And Yes, Firestar would be considered an X-Men mini. She started off in the X-books and her main adversary was freakin' Emma White Queen Frost.

Both X-Men/Fantastic Four, X-Men/Avengers were really good.

But I could live without Wolverine and Kitty/Wolverine. He's my least favorite "main" character. Always was Always will be.

Poor Bobby. Nobody voted for him.

I can see why people Magik to be honest, is very well crafted and creepy tale with a very compelling main character, i actually interested in following Illyana's journey after that, but i haven't gotten around reading New Mutants.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I always felt that Firestar was underappreciated, and so was her limited series by Tom DeFalco.

this was an underrated mini. And it also led to absolutely nothing in terms of her development after that, unfortunately.
    This was 1985 going into 1986.

I guess Claremont hated her and saw her as an 'inorganic' character because of the cartoon show. The offices were probably getting letters about "where is Firestar?" They brought her in the storyline leading to #200, and that's it. DeFalco wrote the mini series. In the end, she decides to go on her own, but not join the X-Men or New Mutants. It wasn't until she was brought into the New Warriors series (1990) when she got any use.

Firestar would have made a good addition to the X-Men stories at the time. The war with the Marauders, the Fall of the Mutants, the Evolutionary War, the Siege Perilous era and Australia.