Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

IMO, the 2010s have been by far the best decade for Spider-Man stories (across all media) since the 1980s.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    IMO, the 2010s have been by far the best decade for Spider-Man stories (across all media) since the 1980s.
    The '80s was a great period for comics but less so for all media since you had Amazing Friends that aired in the early decade and nothing after that.

I think the 2000s was the great period where you had excellent comics and excellent media. The best live-action Spider-Man movies (I and II), the best Spider-Man cartoon (Spectacular Spider-Man), some excellent games (The Activision stuff, both comics and movie tie-ins), and in comics you had JMS, Jenkins, Mark Millar's Marvel Knights Spider-Man, Spider-Man Blue, Fraction's Annual, Bendis on USM, Sean McKeever's Spider-Man loves Mary Jane among many others.

In the case of the 2010s, aside from Spider-Man PS4 and ITSV there haven't been interesting adaptations of Spider-Man in the media.

Perhaps, but I still contend the comics themselves from Miles to Spider-Gwen to 616 (Venom and Superior included) haven't been this constantly good in a long time.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

In no particular order:

Comics:
    Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (mini), though I enjoyed the on-going series as well.

Spider-Verse

Spider-Man: Life Story

Spider-Men

Other media:
    Spider-Man PS4
    Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

CBR's top ten:

https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-best-stories-decade/

Have to disagree with some of the picks. I do find the original Spider-Verse overrated.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 10-15-2019 at 08:05 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    CBR's top ten:

Have to disagree with some of the picks. I do find the original Spider-Verse overrated.
    Zdarsky seems to have gotten a lot of love from CBR. It's actually astonishing how quickly Zdarsky (whose Spectacular run began in 2017) established himself as one of the major Spider-Man writers of this decade. In just three years he produced essential work on the character.

I'd have put Superior Foes of Spider-Man over Hunted as far as Spencer goes. I do love Hunted but Superior Foes is the more original work.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Zdarsky seems to have gotten a lot of love from CBR. It's actually astonishing how quickly Zdarsky (whose Spectacular run began in 2017) established himself as one of the major Spider-Man writers of this decade. In just three years he produced essential work on the character.
    Agreed. Finale from Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310 is wonderful, an instant classic. My Dinner With Jonah is terrific, two underrated stories Zdarsky Spidey stories: Amazing Fantasy and No More. I actually prefer the latter two to Life Story and that's not me diminishing LS.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I'd have put Superior Foes of Spider-Man over Hunted as far as Spencer goes. I do love Hunted but Superior Foes is the more original work.
    I liked Hunted but there's Nick Spencer ASM arcs I much prefer to it. The Superior Foes of Spider-Man should definitely be on the list, he and Steve Lieber created something special. A brilliant book.

Agreed. Finale from Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310 is wonderful, an instant classic. My Dinner With Jonah is terrific, two underrated stories Zdarsky Spidey stories: Amazing Fantasy and No More. I actually prefer the latter two to Life Story and that's not me diminishing LS.

I liked Hunted but there's Nick Spencer ASM arcs I much prefer to it. The Superior Foes of Spider-Man should definitely be on the list, he and Steve Lieber created something special. A brilliant book.
    I loved Amazing Fantasy, and I have no clue why

Spider-Man Life Story
    Ultimate Spider-Man Death of Spider-Man
    Renew Your Vows (the Secret Wars version)
    My Dinner with Jonah
    Amazing Fantasy
    Miles Morales (first story out of the gate with Miles)
    Trouble on the Horizon

Into the Spider-Verse
    Homecoming
    Far From Home

To me the 2000s were a better decade, until the story which must not be named came along, but Zdarsky basically saved the 2010-2019 decade for me.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

CBR's top ten:

Really glad to see Spidey show up on this list, that was an incredibly simple but really entertaining version of teenage Spidey, the perfect all-ages book of this decade.

Big Time/No One Dies/Spider-Island is one of my favourite stretch of Spider-Man stories and some of Dan Slott's best period so it's good to see them on there. Spider-Verse I like more than others, but I do think overall the core story itself isn't as strong as some others. I think all of its spinoffs, tie-ins, and its impact on the brand as a whole is what led it to being #1.

I'd also say Miles' entire Ultimate run right up to before 616 is worthy of being on a list like this as one giant story, that one's incredibly consistent in terms of quality.

BANNED

Life Story #1-6

ASM #801

Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Good question. I'm going with....

10. Gauntlet: The Rhino (Amazing Spider-Man #617, 625)
    9. Superior Foes of Spider-Man Volume 1
    8. Spider-Men
    7. There For You (Amazing Spider-Man #801)
    6. Spider-Man: Life Story
    5. Spider Island (Amazing Spider-Man #666-673/ Venom #6-9)
    4. Back to Basics Part 1 (Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #1)
    3. Shed (Amazing Spider-Man #630-633)
    2. Matters of Life & Death (Amazing Spider-Man #655-656)
    1. Superior Spider-Man #1-10
    Somehow I forgot that the Death of Ultimate Spider-Man also came out this year. So...
    10. Gauntlet: The Rhino (Amazing Spider-Man #617, 625)
    9. Spider-Men
    8. There For You (Amazing Spider-Man #801)
    7. Spider-Man: Life Story
    6. Spider Island (Amazing Spider-Man #666-673/ Venom #6-9)
    5. Back to Basics Part 1 (Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #1)
    4. Shed (Amazing Spider-Man #630-633)
    3. Death of Spider-Man (Ultimate Spider-Man #156-160)
    2. Matters of Life & Death (Amazing Spider-Man #655-656)
    1. Superior Spider-Man #1-10

I'm cheating a bit by not counting Superior Foes as a Spider-Man story, since Spider-Man doesn't really appear. Technically, many of the characters also debuted in other titles (Boomerang in Incredible Hulk, the new Beetle in Brubaker's Captain America, Speed Demon in the Avengers.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets