Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Do you ever get burned out on comics?

I have been reading a lot of comics this year. More then I ever have before. But I am finding that I am getting burned out on comics a little bit. I didnt read any yesterday because i just wasnt really in the mood for it. Do you guys ever get burned out on comics? What do you do when you do get burned out? How do you get over it?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I have been reading a lot of comics this year. More then I ever have before. But I am finding that I am getting burned out on comics a little bit. I didnt read any yesterday because i just wasnt really in the mood for it. Do you guys ever get burned out on comics? What do you do when you do get burned out? How do you get over it?
    That's only because you binge read comics.
    You only need to read 1-3 chapters a day. And to read them slowy.

I also tend to read tpb/omnibus not singles. Becaue I wait for the stories to be published in there totallity and I wait for many opinions to only pick the "best" publications.
    Like that I am never disapointed or frustrated.

And when I don't feel like reading, well I just don't read.

Boisterously Confused

Yes. Especially if you read a wide selection of Th Big Two, it seems to me that you begin to feel a sameness that just makes it hard to enjoy. Some time away helps.

I find it also helps to read something different. Dynamite's Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist, for example, provided a really nice pallet-cleanser for me at one point. It's also a good excuse to switch to something completely different, like non-fiction books for a bit.

I haven't exactly burned out, but over the last year I've cared less and less about comics - to the point where I might not have any on my Christmas wish-list, which used to be wall to wall graphic novels.

I think the main culprit for me is my growing obsession with board games.

Sure, I can see getting burned out. It is a shame when is feels like a "chore" to commit time to sit and read comics. There's the sense of not wanting to fall behind on our books, the pressure of needing to finish them all before the next Wednesday rolls around.

Its also easy to get burned out or overwhelmed with the Big 2 with all the events and tie-in issues. I find I feel more content when the titles I pick up are all doing their own thing.

It makes me wonder if comics were way more enjoyable before they started to crossover or before we had huge events. You just grabbed your favorite character's monthly title and enjoyed their adventure that month.

Are there times where I don't feel like reading a comicbook? Yes
    Do I get burned out on comics? No, not really. When I don't want to read a comic, I do other things, I don't read by obligation. I can play videogames, go out with my friends, read a book or watch a movie, among other stuff. If I get tired of something, I simply stop doing it
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH