All-New Member

Default Sorry in advance

I'm sorry as I rarely post on here, but something has happened recently that ha brought me here today. I'm sorry in advance if this topic is in the wrong place.

So the other week, I went to the comic book store. I hadn't been in a couple of weeks as I had been busy with work and other things. When I went in, I looked on the shelf for certain comics I like such as Xmen and Spiderman as well as trying to get into Batman more regularly. But then after a few minutes, I just ended up leaving without buying anything. I'm not sure the best way to describe why other than I just felt very overwhelmed. As I said, I like Xmen, but as of late I have really been frustrated with the direction that Marvel has been going in with them. I was more or less getting into the most recent Uncanny story arc and I tried my best to enjoy Age of Xman. But the latter felt pretty lackluster to me. the most recent issue of Uncanny ended in a way that had me looking forward to what was to come. But I have really found myself feeling really confused and kind of put off by this House of/Powers of X stuff. I just don't understand it. Maybe I need to give it another chance, but that's the other thing....I think I'm feeling burnt out. I had been buying comics every week for the last four years and I just feel tired and confused. As I said before, I have made attempts to get more into Batman and other DC comics, but things feel even more confusing there than in Marvel.

I don't want to give up on comics as it has been a big part of my life. But I am tired of trying to keep up week after week. I am barely hanging on to Amazing Spider man but even that has been draining. and I don't even touch any of the other spider comics anymore. I'm sorry for rambling like this and I'm not sure that I expect anyone here to have the answers. I guess I just needed to get this out. Again, I'm sorry if this didn't make sense.

Nothing to be sorry about.

Along this line, there is a related thread in the following link...

- https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-out-on-comics

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Have you tried the two mini series House of X and Power of X by Jonathan Hickman? I'm sure the LCS can hook you up with that. It has been doing so well that some issues have gone into multiple printings.

I am a bit biased But you may also want to try out the new Doctor Doom series that debuts on October 9th.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Have you tried the two mini series House of X and Power of X by Jonathan Hickman? I'm sure the LCS can hook you up with that. It has been doing so well that some issues have gone into multiple printings.

I am a bit biased But you may also want to try out the new Doctor Doom series that debuts on October 9th.
    Yes, I tried to get into those two, but I just can't.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Nothing to be sorry about.

Along this line, there is a related thread in the following link...

- https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-out-on-comics
    Thanks for showing me this.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmoongaze View Post
    Thanks for showing me this.
    Glad to point it out.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sadmoongaze View Post
    Yes, I tried to get into those two, but I just can't.
    I admit I've bought them as they came out but have them in my "to be read" stack I gave up reading the X-Men quite a while ago and I am having a hard time getting interested in just yet even though I like Hickman's works.

Consider going to trades?
    - If you do then no more worries about going week after week.
    - You can peep it at Barnes & Noble, looks like crap? Put it back.
    - Much cheaper to buy it off Amazon or ebay.

By the way, I don't "collect" anymore. I just read digitally & delete. CB's are not a hobby to me, it's just media to consume whenever I want it. Like movies or on demand.

Maybe you should just step away fom the big 2 for awhile and try Image or Dark Horse or Valiant etc?
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

If you can handle black and white art, maybe the manga My Hero Academia? It draws very heavily from western superhero tropes and is one of the more accessible examples of the genre for first time mange readers.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but what is the turnaround time on comics becoming collections these days?

I am really looking forward to House of X and Powers of X when it wraps up next issue.....any ballpark idea on when I could expect those?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    If you can handle black and white art, maybe the manga My Hero Academia? It draws very heavily from western superhero tropes and is one of the more accessible examples of the genre for first time mange readers.
    Excellent idea with manga. There is a metric TON of fantastic manga out there in every genre imaginable. If My Hero Academia gets your attention, then may I direct you to the far away much more superior manga, ONE PUNCH MAN.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Excellent idea with manga. There is a metric TON of fantastic manga out there in every genre imaginable. If My Hero Academia gets your attention, then may I direct you to the far away much more superior manga, ONE PUNCH MAN.
    That also depends on personal taste. One Punch Man is in many ways a treatise on depression, disguised as a comedy and dressed up as a superhero. It's excellent, but might not be to everyone's taste. Although for those who do like it, it is actually considered by many to be ONE's lesser work, with Mob Psycho 100 being better. But again, that's a matter of taste as One Punch Man does its comedy very, very well.

My Hero Academia is more traditional superhero fare, although with a lot of Harry Potter mixed in. And while it doesn't break new ground quite like One Punch Man, it does have more depth than the surface suggests and more importantly, it does what it does very well. The main reason I suggested it first is that it is probably the easiest entry point into manga for a superhero comic reader of anything I have seen or even heard of.

One advantage both manga and creator owned works have is that the writers don't change. You won't pick up an issue or trade and wonder why is Deku or Saitama suddenly acting so strange? They aren't going to be shoehorned into the plot or get written by someone who hates them and wants to trash them to push his fave instead.
    Dark does not mean deep.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    That also depends on personal taste. One Punch Man is in many ways a treatise on depression, disguised as a comedy and dressed up as a superhero. It's excellent, but might not be to everyone's taste. Although for those who do like it, it is actually considered by many to be ONE's lesser work, with Mob Psycho 100 being better. But again, that's a matter of taste as One Punch Man does its comedy very, very well.

My Hero Academia is more traditional superhero fare, although with a lot of Harry Potter mixed in. And while it doesn't break new ground quite like One Punch Man, it does have more depth than the surface suggests and more importantly, it does what it does very well. The main reason I suggested it first is that it is probably the easiest entry point into manga for a superhero comic reader of anything I have seen or even heard of.

One advantage both manga and creator owned works have is that the writers don't change. You won't pick up an issue or trade and wonder why is Deku or Saitama suddenly acting so strange? They aren't going to be shoehorned into the plot or get written by someone who hates them and wants to trash them to push his fave instead.
    Thanks, I will look into this.