Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No, but I only read what I like.

I feel like I'm getting a little burned out.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

BANNED

Hmmm....I wouldn't say that I am burned out. But I find a lot of what's being put out just ..well not worth the 5 bucks it costs and the space in my house. I'm down to four books right now and only pick up my books every 2-3 months or so because my CS is two hours away. I like comic books, I get a kick out of them and find --some of the content to be inspiring. But not so much anymore.

What I found funny was this though. I really got into Monstress by Marjorie Liu, great plot, great story and interesting protagonist. The protagonist a teenage girl by the name of Maika has had a rough life,

I think that it's after watching Alita and the anime for Princess Principal that I realized that other teenagers have gone through hard times as well. But they have a good attitude and I now find Maika her cussing, sulking and angry out bursts to be straight up tiresome. I will probably stick with the book until it ends, but only because it seems as if it's coming to a close.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I did walk away from the industry for over a decade sometime around the mid 1990's. It was just as much a case of getting other priorities ahead of comics (the pub, going to the footie, the opposite sex etc) as it was to getting burnt out though. Mainstream comics were very, erm, EXTREME at the time and I found them absolute garbage. That was a major reason for me walking away at the time. Pure curiosity brought me back years later.

I never really overdo comics as a hobby nowadays to be honest. If I feel like I'm spending too much time on comics I'll just slow the pace down. It helps having other hobbies like listening to music.

Invincible Member

The best thing you can do is take a break from the Big 2 and try to find things that match up with your tastes from other publishers or at least switching to trade for the DC/Marvel stuff you like. Trying to keeping with monthlies and all the events and what not can definitely cause burnout. I find that when I read comics from different genres or produced in different styles, I'm able to come back to mainstream comics with fresh eyes.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I did walk away from the industry for over a decade sometime around the mid 1990's. It was just as much a case of getting other priorities ahead of comics (the pub, going to the footie, the opposite sex etc) as it was to getting burnt out though. Mainstream comics were very, erm, EXTREME at the time and I found them absolute garbage. That was a major reason for me walking away at the time. Pure curiosity brought me back years later.

I never really overdo comics as a hobby nowadays to be honest. If I feel like I'm spending too much time on comics I'll just slow the pace down. It helps having other hobbies like listening to music.

What is the footie?

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    What is the footie?
    Association football, better known to Americans as soccer, although that name wasn't originally coined in the US as many people seem to think it was. The word soccer actually started out as a form of Oxford University slang back in the 19th century. Contrary to popular belief the name soccer is not an Americanism. Don't know why I'm mentioning that fact but there we go.

I live about 20 miles north of the city of Manchester in the north of England, the city where I was born. For many years I was a season ticket holder at Old Trafford, home of Manchester United.

Not “burnt out” because that implies (I think) that as a result of reading a ton of comics all enthusiasm has been lost, and it’s possible I might never read comics again.

But going through a period where I’ve read very, very comics in last few months, and watched a lot more films than in recent years.

But I’ve been very selective in comics I read in last few years anyway...if a favourite writer does a long run I’ll seek out the material and read it..I really don’t see point in reading a ton of “average” comics.

The ever continuing #1 from Marvel and the half-assed reboot from DC were the last nails on the coffin for me.
    I have completely stopped buying single issues and the few ones I've stumbbled upon didn't make me want to ever come back.
    Well, to tell the thruth, I still buy occasional TPB like The Terrifics, the new Books of Magic but I mostly buy old stuff like Byrne Omnibuses or the Teen Titans by Wolfman and Perez. I guess I will buy whatever Grant Morrison and Warren Ellis are up to when they will be collected. But mainstream monthly comics with Superman, Batman, Spider-Man or even the X-Men are almost dead to me. From the recent DC sollicitations, only a few mini-series are of some interest to me.