Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you ever get burned out on comics?

I have been reading a lot of comics this year. More then I ever have before. But I am finding that I am getting burned out on comics a little bit. I didnt read any yesterday because i just wasnt really in the mood for it. Do you guys ever get burned out on comics? What do you do when you do get burned out? How do you get over it?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I have been reading a lot of comics this year. More then I ever have before. But I am finding that I am getting burned out on comics a little bit. I didnt read any yesterday because i just wasnt really in the mood for it. Do you guys ever get burned out on comics? What do you do when you do get burned out? How do you get over it?
    That's only because you binge read comics.
    You only need to read 1-3 chapters a day. And to read them slowy.

I also tend to read tpb/omnibus not singles. Becaue I wait for the stories to be published in there totallity and I wait for many opinions to only pick the "best" publications.
    Like that I am never disapointed or frustrated.

And when I don't feel like reading, well I just don't read.

Boisterously Confused

Yes. Especially if you read a wide selection of Th Big Two, it seems to me that you begin to feel a sameness that just makes it hard to enjoy. Some time away helps.

I find it also helps to read something different. Dynamite's Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist, for example, provided a really nice pallet-cleanser for me at one point. It's also a good excuse to switch to something completely different, like non-fiction books for a bit.

I haven't exactly burned out, but over the last year I've cared less and less about comics - to the point where I might not have any on my Christmas wish-list, which used to be wall to wall graphic novels.

I think the main culprit for me is my growing obsession with board games.

Sure, I can see getting burned out. It is a shame when is feels like a "chore" to commit time to sit and read comics. There's the sense of not wanting to fall behind on our books, the pressure of needing to finish them all before the next Wednesday rolls around.

Its also easy to get burned out or overwhelmed with the Big 2 with all the events and tie-in issues. I find I feel more content when the titles I pick up are all doing their own thing.

It makes me wonder if comics were way more enjoyable before they started to crossover or before we had huge events. You just grabbed your favorite character's monthly title and enjoyed their adventure that month.

Are there times where I don't feel like reading a comicbook? Yes
    Do I get burned out on comics? No, not really. When I don't want to read a comic, I do other things, I don't read by obligation. I can play videogames, go out with my friends, read a book or watch a movie, among other stuff. If I get tired of something, I simply stop doing it
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

From about the end of 2011 to the middle of 2016, I didn’t crack a book.
    I was done w. Marvel’s seemingly weekly crossover over events, DC’s reboots where I didn’t even recognize the characters, books getting cancelled/renewed with a new #1 every time they changed direction and/or creative teams, and the general gloom and doom.

Given i’d been reading comics since 1974, it was a big blank spot in my day-to-day at first.

Luckily an online friend at another site got me interested enough in Amy Chu’s Red Sonja reboot to pick it up, and I got bitten by the bug again.

The Big Two still have problems, but aren’t as bad as I recall, and I just basically ignore what I don’t like.
    I always picked up books from other companies, but it seems there are a zillion good books out there now i’m still catching up on, and new stuff all the time, so the variety is great.

I’m glad to be back.

Astonishing Member

No, because...

i vary. My pull list is not only Marvel or DC, its something from every publisher.

I read only when I want to read. When I fall behind a series, I don't care, because its not gone. The book and the story is still there, so I can read it a week or a month later.

I select. I don't read titles anymore because I am supposed to read them. (Exception to the rule, Spider-Man)

When I don't like a title anymore, I cancel it. (Except...Spider-Man)

The same with TV Shows. There are too many of them, and everyone is telling you what a great series this or that is, but I decide what I want to see and rarely listen to other people. And I don't binge watch. One episode at a time.

Thats my recipe for not burning out...

(if someone only could tell me how that works in my job...)

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

I almost quit comics entirely after DC's Zero Hour. I guess that's the closest I've come to burning out on comics.

But I learned to quit reading comics I wasn't enjoying, and that helped a great deal.

Yes, I walked away from collecting back in the 90's. Now I strictly read & delete my DC/Marvel trash. I do hold onto my Horror though.

Astonishing Member

I don't think I got burned out for comics in general, but I've definitely been burnt out by series and eventually stopped purchasing them due to not liking the direction. I've always been a bigger fan of manga, so when comics do enter an area that I have no interest in like much of DC's Rebirth and the early stages of Marvel's Fresh Start, I just move my money to buying more manga.

Now I'm at a place where I'm reading more series then I was during the major lull, but no where near the amount I use to read back during the ANAD days. Those times were literally putting a hammer on my wallet lol.

OP, I'm currently in a funk that's almost 5 years long. The thing for me isn't even that I got burned out. It happened to me because somewhere along the line, reading my newly purchased comics went from something that relaxed me to a task I needed to complete before the next Weds arrived. Every week I got further behind, my stress level went up and made it hard to concentrate, so I couldn't work on catching up. After I filled a longbox with current stuff I needed to read, I stopped even trying. I've continued buying all this time, because I do like cataloging them, sorting, and completing runs. Plus I'm retired and I don't have many responsibilities to worry about, so I can spend all the time I want buying, organizing, and occasionally even reading my comics. Since I've been buying new books the entire time, along with completing runs and working on many others, I now have thousands of comics unread, and no clear entry point. If I ever get back to where I want to read one comic after another for hours, like I was before this mess started, I'm sure I'll have a tough time deciding what to read first. But once I get going, I'll probably be thrilled I have all these complete stories. In the meantime, I still like flipping through the boxes and looking at the covers. Because of the quantity and quality of my collection, it's actually an asset now, whether I've read them or not. I try not to worry about it, though.

Astonishing Member

With me its that I don't have enough books to read. I mean my collection is big, but I already read all of them, some twice or more. I am constantly looking for new books, but most stuff is just boring, so its hard to find really good comics in this mass market...

Boisterously Confused

The streaming services have been great for me. I don't have to the read the latest stuff. I can look at the (relatively) new, sampling and dropping, and go back to the great runs.

I've been reading about 7 titles from Marvel (varying as to which) and about 9 from DC (again varying a bit), and following them from 1961, month by month. It's been fun to see how things evolved at each. I'm up to about 1989, and I'm beginning to burn out. Once I get past DC's Invasion, I may lay off the consistent reading, and just jump around in the past.

Extraordinary Member

I think it is about mixing it up. After Endgame, I didn't want to watch any more CMB movies for a long time and all over Summer in the UK they've been showing MCU movies on broadcast TV. I avoided each movie because it can be too much.

As for reading? My interest in general fiction, ethnographies and investigative journalism this summer has increased and so I've only read an omnibus and some TPBs. I am sure that my interest in comic books will come back soon, but I like to mix it up.