• Nightcrawler Becoming The Pope -

10 9.01%
  • Emma Frost And Cyclops Make Out On Jean Grey's Grave

26 23.42%
  • Ugly John existing

0 0%
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    But people aren't looking at the age gap, they're looking at "having sex in the sky above her parents".
    the age gap is hard to look beyond when the guy is already old.

angel was a guy in his late 20s-early 30

pagie 19.

Her mum left before the act begun. They were actually doing the act when her brother was getting attacked, not in front of their mum.

magneto was like 60, rogue was 18. that is gross
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-12-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    the age gap is hard to look beyond when the guy is already old.

angel was a guy in his late 20s-early 30

pagie 19.

Her mum left before the act begun. They were actually doing the act when her brother was getting attacked, not in front of their mum.

magneto was like 60, rogue was 18. that is gross
    Everybody is still legal. So I never saw the problem. Especially if characters are immortal or nigh-immortal like Magneto, Mystique, Wolverine, and Sabretooth. Everyone is gonna be over 30 years their junior.

Rogue was an adult when she dated Magneto.
    Paige was an adult when she got with Angel, which was better for her than Toad...eck. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Everybody is still legal. So I never saw the problem. Especially if characters are immortal or nigh-immortal. As they continue to live, everyone is gonna be even younger. lol

Rogue was an adult when she dated Magneto.
    Paige was an adult when she got with Angel, which was better for her than Toad...eck. lol
    Honestly as i said before, my problem with Magneto and Rogue wasn't age gap, is the fact that he has done some really crappy and awfull things to her and the idea of Rogue forgiving for those things is just insane. Although i also make a point that for semi-immortals that if they are gonna date someone, that person should be preferably in their early to mid 20s at least.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Honestly as i said before, my problem with Magneto and Rogue wasn't age gap, is the fact that he has done some really crappy and awfull things to her and the idea of Rogue forgiving for those things is just insane. Although i also make a point that for semi-immortals that if they are gonna date someone, that person should be preferably in their early to mid 20s at least.
    It's understandable to hate the pairing due to how one or both parties treated the other. But as we see here, the argument most put forward before anything else is "Magneto's too old for Rogue."

The talk about Angel and Paige's age gap got me thinking about my own family history. I know context is everything, including time and place, but my grandparents had roughly the same gap and ages when they first dated -- 19 and 29/30.

No sex in the sky, though.

As long as the younger party has a degree of autonomy and agency, if both parties match in terms of maturity, and if the older party respects the younger party from a standpoint of equality and respect, then it's consensual between two adults. It's a choice. That's not possible with someone underage because of power dynamics.

I agree with several of the others -- the gap wasn't the problem, it was what they did above the Guthries, out in public.
    Last edited by Cyke; 09-12-2019 at 10:51 AM.

It's understandable to hate the pairing due to how one or both parties treated the other. But as we see here, the argument most put forward before anything else is "Magneto's too old for Rogue."
    That sort of reminds to someone that a fan said about Wolverine at some point, that him dating the X-Women was gross because it was like seeing your grandpa dating your hight school crush lol. Not really accurate but it make me laugh when i read it.

Generally though, age gaps don't bother me if both parts are adults. although i do have personal ship (outside the X-Men) that toyed a dangerous line there, certain events and elements of that universe make look past it and find it normal.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Is there anything about Chuck Austen run that was good? from his stories he comes of as a despicable human being. everything he did was bad, offensive and upsetting. Nurse Annie, Nightcrawler and the Draco story line, Angel falling in love with Husk,Polaris getting left at the alter, Nightcrawler secretly hate Christianity.

The only thing I think he ever did slightly right was how he wrote the Guthrie Family but that was even kind of still bad because he wrote them as a stereotypical ''white trash'' family from the south. Really terrible comic writer is the name Chuck Austen.
    the only surviving thing of the Austen run is Azazel and Nightcrawler being half demon, whatever it means.

I regret that Austen's run was so bad that it doomed one of my favorite 90s characters, Abyss (the horseman of AoA, a good guy in 616, a brother of Nightcrawler) into getting depowered. its also weird how the xmen never interact with their biological relatives. Nightcrawler has 2 depowered mutant brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Rogue routinely kisses people without their permission to use her powers. Magneto is too good for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Rogue routinely kisses people without their permission to use her powers. Magneto is too good for her.
    Yeah talk about being inappropriate. If a male character would randomly kiss females without their consent, that would be more an issue. Wolverine's done that a few times and it doesnt make him look good

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I though that she stopped doing that after the 90s, but yeah, that's not a great thing either.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

If you ask 100 people on the street about an 18 and a 60 year old, 98 will say they don’t agree. If you ask why, one person will say it’s a very unequal power dynamic and the other 97 will say he’s too old, it’s gross. If you ask those other 97 a few more questions, about why they disagree, they will eventually end up saying the same thing as the one, that it’s unequal. Not everyone takes the time to get into all the details of their thoughts.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Rogue was at least 20+ when she hooked up with Erik in the AoA and 616 timeline. Plus it's a comic book so you actually see that there's no power imbalance and Erik's not taking advantage of her.

Y'all acting like there aren't young'uns that are attracted to oldies and actually pursue them don't exist. C'mon.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    If you ask 100 people on the street about an 18 and a 60 year old, 98 will say they don’t agree. If you ask why, one person will say it’s a very unequal power dynamic and the other 97 will say he’s too old, it’s gross. If you ask those other 97 a few more questions, about why they disagree, they will eventually end up saying the same thing as the one, that it’s unequal. Not everyone takes the time to get into all the details of their thoughts.
    If you ask people on the street if they're fine with a supremacist & mass murderer, most will probably say no. But that never stopped people from liking Magneto. lol Along with all the other disgusting villains who have fans loving them.

So leaving real life dynamics out, there's nothing wrong with the pairing. Magneto is nigh-immortal, so unless he stays celibate all his life, tons of his lovers are gonna be considerably younger than him. Long as they're adults -which Rogue was.

Astonishing Member

Um, in AoA he was literally her ‘boss’ and ‘foster father’ , definite power imbalance. In 616, he was pretty much ‘vice president’ of Utopia (unless you think Emma was really scott’s second in command, that’s a possible interpretation, then mags was third in command) and she had been demoted twice by Scott. Mags straight up gave her ‘orders’, sometimes she disobeyed, but he wouldn’t give her orders if he didn’t think he was her ‘superior.’

There are ‘youngins’ attracted to ‘oldies’ and 99% of the time, there’s still a power imbalance, hence why most people don’t really like it.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Um, in AoA he was literally her ‘boss’ and ‘foster father’ , definite power imbalance. In 616, he was pretty much ‘vice president’ of Utopia (unless you think Emma was really scott’s second in command, that’s a possible interpretation, then mags was third in command) and she had been demoted twice by Scott. Mags straight up gave her ‘orders’, sometimes she disobeyed, but he wouldn’t give her orders if he didn’t think he was her ‘superior.’

There are ‘youngins’ attracted to ‘oldies’ and 99% of the time, there’s still a power imbalance, hence why most people don’t really like it.
    You're just trying to justify your stance by applying real world work dynamics to how the X-Men operate.
    And as I said it's a comic so you can see what's happening. In AoA, Rogue was trying to comfort Magneto after he lost Wanda. Magneto returned the favour by using his powers so she have skin contact with someone. Then they hooked up. In 616, they were both off/on field leaders for the X-Men but Mags gave Scott advise when he asked but their relationship never went as far as AoA; they just admitted there was an attraction.
    "Cable was right!"