10 9.01%
  • Emma Frost And Cyclops Make Out On Jean Grey's Grave

26 23.42%
  • Ugly John existing

0 0%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Is there anything about Chuck Austen run that was good? from his stories he comes of as a despicable human being. everything he did was bad, offensive and upsetting. Nurse Annie, Nightcrawler and the Draco story line, Angel falling in love with Husk,Polaris getting left at the alter, Nightcrawler secretly hate Christianity.

The only thing I think he ever did slightly right was how he wrote the Guthrie Family but that was even kind of still bad because he wrote them as a stereotypical ''white trash'' family from the south. Really terrible comic writer is the name Chuck Austen.
    Eh. Like 10% of Austen is good. Northstar as a full-time X-Man, an evil Nightcrawler villain and Juggs having a stint as a good guy were OK.

Also Iceman is technically immortal in his ice form as long as there's water is cool but I lost sleep over the thought of Havok peeing on him.

"Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Jacket View Post
    Scott was completely cold and treated it as an afterthought. When you remember how devastated he was by the death of Thunderbird...
    It made him colder than Wolverine...
    It was really cold they way it was executed
    That's when the series jump the shark for me.
    That moment u knew x-men wouldn't be the same, they are edgy dark now

Is there anything about Chuck Austen run that was good? from his stories he comes of as a despicable human being. everything he did was bad, offensive and upsetting. Nurse Annie, Nightcrawler and the Draco story line, Angel falling in love with Husk,Polaris getting left at the alter, Nightcrawler secretly hate Christianity.

The only thing I think he ever did slightly right was how he wrote the Guthrie Family but that was even kind of still bad because he wrote them as a stereotypical ''white trash'' family from the south. Really terrible comic writer is the name Chuck Austen.
    I'd say he did better than all 616 writers to date with Polaris. There were certainly problems in places (e.g. attacking Annie for things Havok did), but we got to see what happened to Lorna in the last moments of Genosha and how it affected her, mentally and emotionally. We got to see her argument with Xavier in 442-443, and referred to as queen of Genosha and Magneto's heir. We also saw more thought put into her power use and capabilities than most writers.

When people love or hate a creator, they tend to want to say every single thing that creator did fits how they feel. Most of a creator's work may fit how they feel, but there's often at least something in there that was good if taken by itself. This is not a defense of all the other things Austen wrote that people have issues with, just to say that most of what he did for Lorna was good. Which I've also pointed out reflects badly on Marvel, that one of the most hated X-writers did better for Lorna than Marvel's been willing to do by her both before and since. Even the wedding issues allowed her to have more empathy, agency and an intriguing show of power than Marvel's typical approach of "Havok's (ex-)girlfriend who only exists to make him look good."
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Many saw Spuffy as a more "grown up" relationship even though it involved emotional abuse, bringing out the worst in one another, consent violations, and attempted rape. So I start to think "grown up" doesn't mean anything these days besides things being so bad in the world that toxic relationships which bring out people's worst sides are considered normal.

Someone also go the same route with Jott that they do with Bangel. First Love = Puppy love & not real. If that's the case, then Emma's feelings for Scott can't be too real since it would appear he's her first love & real relationship. It doesn't seem she's had any other loves or men who have given a crap about her. So arguably, she's just stuck on Scott because he was her first love and she's not used to the feelings & connection on a romantic level. Like a virgin getting sprung on the first person they sleep with.

Or Deadpool "loving" Siryn because she was the first good girl who actually liked him, which made him feel better about himself.

My favorite couple in Buffy and Angel was Gunn and Fred and Cordelia and Xander that the series just ruined to the ground. I was not a huge fan of Spike so I don't like spike/buffy. Angel and Buffy were okay but it was doomed from the start. its not fair to compare that to scott and emma and jean.

I don't think buffy ever fell out of love with angel, cyclops to me fell out of love with Jean. buffy and angel were not together anymore because they had no future together. cyclops and jean had a chance for another good future after the Apocalypse incident but Cyclops for some weird reason just shut down emotionally. He was already over Jean before Emma came along.

We also can't forget him not doing any research and retconning Mystique's history. He created Azazel I think. If I am mistaken, sorry. But that seems like a mess he'd created. Then the retconned Mystique's first meeting with Creed where she runs into him as a homeless woman, asks him for food, then he gives it to her & expects sex in return for buying her dinner. Then we have a panel of him on top of her while she thinks about being glad she could sleep through most of it.

It took fans writing him letters about that mess of a retcon that was nothing close to the story we were told years earlier. Then Austen admits he didn't know the previous story about them existed. Nice job Mr. "writer."
    his retcon for mystique was an interesting take because I saw X-Men TAS before I read the draco storyline.

Azazel being the father of kurt was a sight turn off because I did feel sorry mystique in TAS when her human husband left her after it was revealed she was a mutant. I don't think it was as bad as angel using husk to move on from psylocke's death and that wannabe romeo and juliet love story Josh Guthrie had with that human chick was over the top. He had a thing for writing the worst soap opera romances, at least Chris Claremont was good at it.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-09-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Jacket View Post
    Scott was completely cold and treated it as an afterthought. When you remember how devastated he was by the death of Thunderbird...
    It made him colder than Wolverine...
    This conjecture is hilarious Scott showed sympathy by the very act of the mercy killing if he was truly being "colder" than Wolverine than Scott would have just left the poor guy to die.

Like what did ya'll want him to do? Have a tearful goodbye for a character he had known for all of 5 minutes?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I'm a Romy fan but I don't think there is anything wrong between two people having feelings for each other even if one of them is old as long as both are legal.
    Woody Allen approves of this post...

Quote Originally Posted by Shortpack! View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned X-Man #25 aka Nate Grey making out with a psionically-recreated clone of this timeline's version of his egg donor... and Jean walking up on them before they could bump uglies.
    Nate and Maddie *shudder* that’s a ‘good one’ so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Woody Allen approves of this post...

Nate and Maddie *shudder* that’s a ‘good one’ so to speak.
    Oh deary, I slightly remember Nate and Maddie. when nate crash lands from AOA to 616, he meets maddie and her friend, they both care for him or so and things start to get creepy? Maddie was even giving him puppy dog eyes.

I really don't blame cyclops for giving up on him and jean, the summers/grey family issues is beyond messed up for words. Emma was really a breath of fresh air to scott's life.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-09-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Oh deary, I slightly remember Nate and Maddie. when nate crash lands from AOA to 616, he meets maddie and her friend, they both care for him or so and things start to get creepy? Maddie was even giving him puppy dog eyes.

I really don't blame cyclops for giving up on him and jean, the summers/grey family issues is beyond messed up for words. Emma was really a breathe of fresh air to scott's life.
    I always try to be understanding of Emma and Scemma but this has to be the most pathetic excuse for defending the whole mess.
    scemma wasn't wrong but this mess and how it started was wrong, no amount of bashing Jean or Jott would change that.

I really don't blame cyclops for giving up on him and jean, the summers/grey family issues is beyond messed up for words. Emma was really a breath of fresh air to scott's life.
    A breathe of fresh air that helped get jean killed on Dark phoenix, lied to him about this treatment to destroy his marriage.
    Yeah seems like if things get too complicate the men just run away

I always try to be understanding of Emma and Scemma but this has to be the most pathetic excuse for defending the whole mess.
    scemma wasn't wrong but this mess and how it started was wrong, no amount of bashing Jean or Jott would change that.
    I don't think its as pathetic as it looks. look at Cyclops track record

Jean

Maddie who he was oobessed with and married because she looked like Jean,

Has a thing for Psylocke

More Jean

Moves on to Emma,

Cyclops has a type, Emma was just something new in his league of types that he responded too. I do really think cyclops was tired of the summer/grey soap opera himself.

I am not defending the mess but I can understand Scemma.

I do really think cyclops was tired of the summer/grey soap opera himself.

I am not defending the mess but I can understand Scemma.
    That is what you think.

What is the grey/summers soap opera?
    Time travel, clones and complicated families?
    that isn't as bad, is something normal for comics, certainly not worth to keep looking like someone untrustworthy.
    I get scemma but sorry this mess didn't do scott any favors.
    Scott/Emma broke up, now the only thing left is the controversy and the many people that hate Scott for it now.
    because yes scemma had many fans but it also made many people dislike scott too.

That is what you think.

What is the grey/summers soap opera?
    Time travel, clones and complicated families?
    that isn't as bad, is something normal for comics, certainly not worth to keep looking like someone untrustworthy.
    I get scemma but sorry this mess didn't do scott any favors.
    Scott/Emma broke up, now the only thing left is the controversy and the many people that hate Scott for it now.
    because yes scemma had many fans but it also made many people dislike scott too.
    Before Jean dies at the end of morrsion's run she tells scott, all she ever did was die on him or something of those lines. that to me sums it up that on some part cyclops was over it. I hate to say this but when they got back together again after the apocalypse incident, they were no longer equals. Jean was basically a god.

Cyclops turned to emma, who was still at least more human to him than Jean.

The mess did scott favours, Scott showed his true colors as a complex person and formidable leader that was well liked with fans.

When he was with Jean, he was more of a boy scout.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-09-2019 at 10:13 AM.

BANNED

Scott and Jean hadn't been equals since the Phoenix, IMO. He'd been chasing her myth ever since, and she spent most of the 90s post-resurrection becoming entombed and sanitized in her role as mutant den mother and unimpeachable goddess. He became just the stalwart man on her arm. I agree that Morrison's run allowed both characters to become more complicated and human again - though in Jean's case it led to her ascension beyond that.

Since Morrison they both have been through quite a lot. IMO it was Morrison's run, followed by Whedon, Utopia, Gillen, etc. that actualized Scott as a much stronger and more complex character than the bland First Gentleman boy scout of the X-Men who loves leaving his wife and baby for his dead girlfriend - which is all he was to me from about 1989 to 2001. The Scott since then has been a revelation. They have both made mistakes and both evolved past them. Jean has rediscovered her own human life and goals. If they are to reunite I don't expect a return to Lobdell Cyclops.

Before Jean dies at the end of morrsion's run she tells scott, all she ever did was die on him or something of those lines. that to me sums it up that on some part cyclops was over it. I hate to say this but when they got back together again after the apocalypse incident, they were no longer equals. Jean was basically a god.

Cyclops turned to emma, who was still at least more human to him than Jean.

The mess did scott favours, Scott showed his true colors as a complex person and formidable leader.

When he was with Jean, he was more of a boy scout.
    When i say mess, I don't talk about scemma but about the love square and the extramarital contacts of everybody. And that mess didn't do him any favors, sorry
    I don't want to bash scemma but i feel like some people don't understand that Scott was complex before scemma, during it and will continue to be even if he dates anybody else or stays single. You're giving it too much credit and blaming Jean for something that has nothing to do.

the moment Scott isn't with Emma, he stops being complex?? I don't think so. I would like to give his character more credit.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 09-09-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Scott and Jean hadn't been equals since the Phoenix, IMO. He'd been chasing her myth ever since, and she spent most of the 90s post-resurrection becoming entombed and sanitized in her role as mutant den mother and unimpeachable goddess. He became just the stalwart man on her arm. I agree that Morrison's run allowed both characters to become more complicated and human again - though in Jean's case it led to her ascension beyond that.

Since Morrison they both have been through quite a lot. IMO it was Morrison's run, followed by Whedon, Utopia, Gillen, etc. that actualized Scott as a much stronger and more complex character than the bland First Gentleman boy scout of the X-Men who loves leaving his wife and baby for his dead girlfriend - which is all he was to me from about 1989 to 2001. The Scott since then has been a revelation. They have both made mistakes and both evolved past them. Jean has rediscovered her own human life and goals. If they are to reunite I don't expect a return to Lobdell Cyclops.
    Ascension beyond that = being fridged to make way to Cyclops do his own thing

people exagerate, just because Cyclops wasn't the absolute king of X-men, doesn't mean Cyclops was just a wallpaper. It was well balanced between mostly of characters.

And I don't think Jean went throught a lot, she is just back for a year and her development was erased

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Many saw Spuffy as a more "grown up" relationship even though it involved emotional abuse, bringing out the worst in one another, consent violations, and attempted rape. So I start to think "grown up" doesn't mean anything these days besides things being so bad in the world that toxic relationships which bring out people's worst sides are considered normal.

Someone also go the same route with Jott that they do with Bangel. First Love = Puppy love & not real. If that's the case, then Emma's feelings for Scott can't be too real since it would appear he's her first love & real relationship. It doesn't seem she's had any other loves or men who have given a crap about her. So arguably, she's just stuck on Scott because he was her first love and she's not used to the feelings & connection on a romantic level. Like a virgin getting sprung on the first person they sleep with.

Or Deadpool "loving" Siryn because she was the first good girl who actually liked him, which made him feel better about himself.
    That is what I call artificial maturity: think that everything being darker, gritty and twisted i smore mature than something more functional.
    It is just grown up things if it is all messed up
    No wonder x-men became so dar and no-sense on the last decades.
    Last edited by spirit2011; 09-09-2019 at 10:46 AM.