Boisterously Confused

Default What characters would you like to see moved to a different imprint?

One of the great things DC did after Crisis was Vertigo. Basically, an indie line made by a big player, featuring property interpretations that didn't really belong in the DCU.

If you were going to launch a new imprint, what would it be? Equally important, if you remove characters from the DCU, how would you compensate for the hole you create?

For me, I'd say cancel Detective Comics as a title, relaunch it as an imprint, and migrate the entire Bat-Family out of the DCU (minus anybody overtly superpowered, like Clayface or Poison Ivy [unless you dial them way back], plus some non-bat characters that might make a good fit, like Nemesis, and Dr.13). Lots of plausible horror in addition to hard-boiled mystery, but take O'Neal and Adams as the entire imprint's guiding star.

In the main DCU, either kill the Batfam, or Crisis them out of existence, and fill the niche with a combination of Mr. Terrific, Green Arrow, Manhunter (Kate Spencer), and Hawkman. If The Powers won't abide that, let Batgod remain in the DCU, but treat Detective as a a separate reality.

The Titans.

Doesn't seem like there's much worth to keeping them in the main DCU or around the Justice League at this point.

I would move the Green Lanterns to their own imprint but it'll all still be canon. I think the Lantern mythos is too big to work comfortably in the DC line without neglecting some characters, concepts or ideas, or not doing them justice. However it's not just gonna be the Lanterns, the imprint would be the cosmic imprint and would flesh out the cosmic landscape beyond the Guardians' jurisdiction and Lantern mythos. So Hawkwoman and the empire of Thanagarian, Justice League Odyssey, The New Gods, a rebooted Stormwatch, Omega Men, and even cosmic heroes like Captain Comet (I'm obsessed with Joshua Clay from Doom Patrol taking up that mantle), Martian Manhunter, and more would fall under the Cosmos imprint as well. This way we can flesh out DC's cosmology and roll over any cool concepts spawned from it into the main DC line.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-08-2019 at 05:08 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

The new age of heroes- I'd want to move them to Young Animal, milestone or Wild Storm.

Astonishing Member

I like the idea of moving the Bat-Family. But I'd split the difference on Batman.

In the main DCU I remove Tim from history along with Bette Kane. Dick Grayson dies and Barbara goes back to being Oracle.

The new imprint then spins out a Batman book set in a separate continuity where Tim is Robin (no Jason or Damian). Barbara and Dick make guest appearances in some stories as Nightwing and Batgirl.
    A new Titans book with Dick having just assumed the Nightwing role working with Roy Harper, Donna Troy (enhanced human abilities from Amazon training), Vic Stone (think more Robotman, less cyberspace god)

A Question title where Renee Montoya has moved to Hub City

A Green Arrow book ala Mike Grell's run

While I wouldn't give them their own titles both Superman and Wonder Woman exist here but Superman is at "leap 1/8 of a mile" power level while Diana is the result of Amazon-training not Olympian blood/magic.

And both Batman and Green Arrow/Black Canary would co-exist with versions that exist in the DCU proper.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    The new age of heroes- I'd want to move them to Young Animal, milestone or Wild Storm.
    that's actually a clever way to not let the great ideas from the New Age of Heroes go to waste

Immortal Men would be interesting on the Milestone, it would grow the world even further beyond Dakota in interesting ways and would compliment the Love Army idea they pitched (or "announced") years ago for Milestone 2.0; Silencer would work well with Love Army too. Sideways would gel well with Static so I'd stick him on Milestone too.

Damage and Brimstone would fit perfectly with the gritty edginess of Wild Storm, i especially think they'd be good on the new Wildstorm universe currently going on. I think Challengers of the Unknown would be really interesting on this line as well with some minor tweaks to better acclimate them to the universe.

The Unexpected would fit well on Young Animal, it feels like the type of book that could benefit from how unrestricted and out-of-the-box creators are allowed to be on Young Animal. Terrifics could also go here if they can't stay but I prefer them on the main DC line/universe, they work really well there.

I think I got all of them
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-08-2019 at 08:06 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Batwoman to Black Label.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The Titans so they can roam free

The Bat-family so they can do the realistic story or isolated Gotham they like so much without asking why Superman and the League don't just save Gotham

Yea I won't mind New Age Heroes as well

Let the main DC imprint focus on the most popular character and the characters DC actually want to push and let the fan-favorite that DC doesn't want to push in a different imprint. DC won't meddle. The writer's free. Everyone's happy.

Fantastic Member

Talia and Slade and Their family to Vertigo. Kate Kane to Black Label. Green Arrow and his franchise to...I don’t know, but has to fit them.
    Last edited by nhienphan2808; 09-09-2019 at 08:07 AM.

I like the idea of moving Batwoman to Black Label.

Hm, honestly, I think this thread just makes it too easy to wish the New 52 Superman, or a version of him, back into existence in Young Animal (or somewhere like that), something I've wanted for... a while. Maybe something like this isn't totally impossible. DC's release of the first several issues of Morrison's Action in the "World Against Superman" trade, as well as their attempt to bring him back in "Sideways", indicates to me that they're still testing the waters on whether he could support his own little sub-fanbase to the Superman franchise. I'm pretty much past the idea of getting rid of "Super-Dad", but the younger, more roughneck, more Golden Agey Superman can do things that a more mature Superman doesn't. Not "can't", probably, but "doesn't". I hope it's possible that DC is considering that fact as well.

Like most people I think, most posts I make on this message board are less about real hopes, and more about "wouldn't it be cool if?" But in this case, I hold a distant candle that New 52 Superman's return might really be something DC might consider.

Otherwise... hm. Probably Shazam. I still think he should be split off from the rest of the DCU. I know you can keep him separate and still in the same, world, but I prefer if you just give him his own world to play in.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Justice League: Gods and Monsters for Black Label. I love that AU and wish it got a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Justice League: Gods and Monsters for Black Label. I love that AU and wish it got a sequel.
    Oh YES! That's a brilliant idea, and if the sequel really got canned (which seems pretty clear) then DC Comics at least should keep using the characters!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."