Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Mighty Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,237

    Default Men cannot set foot on Paradise Island

    A while back, of course, there was a rule that men couldn't set foot on the island or the Amazons would lose their powers. This is highlighted in a New Teen Titans when Changeling is taken to the island for some purple ray healing. When did this rule get created (in terms of publication history)? And did the work-around of not setting foot-to-ground come immediately?

  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,646

    Default

    The golden age had the no-man rule but the loosing their powers were in the bronze age. I don't think they haven't done the post-crisis. There was a dislike of men. Until Post Crisis the Amazons were uncharted. Post Crisis another dimension so no one is able to find them. Are you sure it was New TT? Because the losing their powers I don't think was in Perez's run. I think they try to make it quick has possible. They don't turn away anyone who needs it.

    I would write it the Island is cursed towards men. That maybe a god, an amazon or someone else cursed the Island. I don't mind if some Amazons did hate men. I would actually have it be that a nearby Island some amazons had sons and went to a nearby Island and raised their sons.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-08-2019 at 04:39 PM.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    4,685

    Default

    Other than very specific circumstances, like Steve crash landing there (an act of Fate) or the Amazons give birth to boys, or given special permission (like Bruce and Clark post-Crisis), men should simply not be able to step foot on the Island.

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,646

    Default

    I'm curious if we could get Amazons giving birth to boys how should it be handled? I figured that when the Amazons first got there some were pregnant.

  5. #5
    Mighty Member LordMikel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I'm curious if we could get Amazons giving birth to boys how should it be handled? I figured that when the Amazons first got there some were pregnant.
    amazons pregnant with a boy float a few inches above the island, thus not being able to touch the island while pregnant.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

    Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

  6. #6
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Are you sure it was New TT? Because the losing their powers I don't think was in Perez's run. I think they try to make it quick has possible. They don't turn away anyone who needs it.
    It's definitely NTT. Beast Boy gets hurt and needs the purple ray to heal him - the workaround is that the male characters literally do not step foot on Paradise Island, they float. It just predates Perez's run.

    "I'll always love you, Jean Grey." "I'll always love you too, Scott Summers." - Scott Summers and Jean Grey

  7. #7
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,646

    Default

    November 1980 New Titans came out.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-08-2019 at 06:03 PM.

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    It's definitely NTT. Beast Boy gets hurt and needs the purple ray to heal him - the workaround is that the male characters literally do not step foot on Paradise Island, they float. It just predates Perez's run.
    What issue was it? I'm a bit confused do you mean the New Teen Titans predated Wonder Woman Perez?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-08-2019 at 06:05 PM.

  9. #9
    Mighty Member KangMiRae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    The sea!
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Other than very specific circumstances, like Steve crash landing there (an act of Fate) or the Amazons give birth to boys, or given special permission (like Bruce and Clark post-Crisis), men should simply not be able to step foot on the Island.
    I agree with most of this but I'd go as far as to say that Amazons shouldn't even have children/boys. I really dislike ideas that make them less and less isolationists from boys/men.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 09-08-2019 at 06:19 PM.
    Admiral of a fleet of shipsórelationships!
    Comicbooks are nothing to me without ships and romance!

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I agree with most of this but I'd go as far as to say that Amazons shouldn't even have children/boys. I really dislike ideas that make them less and less isolationists.
    Unless Amazons were already pregnant when they came.

  11. #11
    Mighty Member KangMiRae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    The sea!
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Unless Amazons were already pregnant when they came.
    I guess, but I still wouldn't be interested in reading about that. This is more of a personal preference though. I know some people don't mind and like the idea.
    Admiral of a fleet of shipsórelationships!
    Comicbooks are nothing to me without ships and romance!

  12. #12
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I guess, but I still wouldn't be interested in reading about that. This is more of a personal preference though. I know some people don't mind and like the idea.
    True. I get it. I just don't want the new 52 storylines.

  13. #13
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What issue was it? I'm a bit confused do you mean the New Teen Titans predated Wonder Woman Perez?
    I think it was issue #11-12. It was in Pre-Crisis continuity, so Silver Age blonde Hippolyta and Paula von Gunther were present.

  14. #14
    Mighty Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What issue was it? I'm a bit confused do you mean the New Teen Titans predated Wonder Woman Perez?
    I believe that was what was meant - this issue of NTT predated Perez's Wonder Woman - it was pre-Crisis. New Teen Titans #11-#13 (1981 cover dates).
    NTT - Island.jpg

    I don't prefer any magical restriction on men on the island. I think it doesn't work well with Steve. And I don't like removing the element of choice from the Amazons. And if they need to fight appropriately when invaded, they can and will do it (with no magic to solve the problem). Some magic hiding the island is more acceptable, but not required.

  15. #15
    Mighty Member LordUltimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,647

    Default

    Many works have had the Amazons be paranoid about Steve's landing. Maybe the "no man may set foot on the island" can be used to justify this, since it means that something is going wrong with the magic that protects the island.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •