Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What would the comics have been like without One More Day?

There have been a lot of One More Day arguments but we don't typically consider what the comics would like if it hadn't happened.

When JMS made the decision to end his run on Amazing Spider-Man, what if editorial had decided not to go ahead with One More Day? We probably wouldn't have the unmasking, since there wouldn't be a reset on the way.

There might have been more satellite titles since the marriage does work okay in that context (It gives Peter a constant across the books to reference events in other monthlies) and without One More Day and Back in Black, the divide between sales of Amazing Spider-Man and sales of Sensational Spider-Man/ Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man wouldn't be as significant.

There might not be a Miles Morales since that only came after the decision to kill off the Ultimate Peter Parker. Without Miles, there might not be a Spider-Verse or a Spider-Gwen.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There have been a lot of One More Day arguments but we don't typically consider what the comics would like if it hadn't happened.
    Well we did a re-imagining of what the comics would have been like had Gwen lived, so?

When JMS made the decision to end his run on Amazing Spider-Man, what if editorial had decided not to go ahead with One More Day? We probably wouldn't have the unmasking, since there wouldn't be a reset on the way.
    Yeah, probably not. So I guess that Spider-Man's time in CIVIL WAR will be different. He will either be neutral, back Cap, or he won't publicly disclose his identity. But the Civil War and its aftermath will affect him. My guess is that Spider-Man will be more enmeshed with the Avengers, so for instance stuff like Dark Reign and Osborn in Thunderbolts will be a bigger deal for him than it was originally, where Osborn's elevation as Marvel-wide villain didn't have a lot of impact on Spider-Man.

We also won't have Back in Black and perhaps To Have and To Hold. So those are huge losses but who knows, maybe Fraction will follow JMS and do a run after him. One can hope.

There might not be a Miles Morales since that only came after the decision to kill off the Ultimate Peter Parker.
    Ultimate Spider-Man is in his own continuity separate from 616. What happened in 616 does not influence happenings in Ultimate Marvel, not until Spider-Men at any rate.

Miles Morales' debut was inspired by Donald Glover's unsuccessful campaign to play Peter in the Marc Webb movies which stirred up a public debate about going colorblind casting, and it was inspired by Obama's election. Neither of those two events are gonna be affected by OMD. They will happen regardless.

So we will most likely have Miles with and without OMD, and that means Death of Spider-Man happens in USM, that means Spider-Men happens.

Without Miles, there might not be a Spider-Verse or a Spider-Gwen.
    Spider-Verse was inspired by the game Shattered Dimensions (2010) on which Slott was a writer and some ideas he rejected ended up being repurposed for Spider-Verse. A video-game has a long lead-time and it definitely wasn't inspired by happenings in the comic book.

In general, with and without OMD, Miles Morales will be there. That's the biggest new character in Spider-Man since Venom and Carnage. So on an essential level, the absence of OMD won't really change things. Spider-Verse will also likely happen.

As for 616 Continuity, Marc Guggenheim, Zeb Wells, Dan Slott and others all said that with and without the marriage they would have written Spider-Man. Slott himself said that Wacker would have been hired by Marvel for his work on 52 with and without that retcon in mind.

So you will most likely still have a transition from JMS to the Brain Trust. You won't have a Brevoort manifesto (thank goodness since that asininely written document isn't worth the paper its printed on). Dan Slott writing Spider-Man with the marriage would be interesting to consider.

Somewhere in the multiverse, the Superior Divorce of Spider-Man exists.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Not that I've read every storyline, but with minor tweaking, many work with a married Peter Parker. (Perhaps not Chameleon impersonating Peter and sleeping with the roommate.) I think the storylines would have been about the same. Superior would have needed a slightly different slant, but I think it would have worked.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

The question is really would they have gone to a thrice-monthly schedule for Amazing? That's what separated Spidey from a lot of the then-current events at Marvel.

There's no reason to believe that Miles Morales wouldn't exist if not for OMD.

I would imagine Harry would have remained dead. It was clear he was brought back so Peter had a long-standing supporting character to bounce off of with MJ being written out.

What I think is one of the most fascinating unanswered questions is if someone would have decided to address Baby May. Could she have been alive and out there somewhere? So many interesting directions such a concept could be taken in. Sadly, Baby May can't be used given the present status quo as she might not even exist any longer in canon.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    What I think is one of the most fascinating unanswered questions is if someone would have decided to address Baby May. Could she have been alive and out there somewhere? So many interesting directions such a concept could be taken in. Sadly, Baby May can't be used given the present status quo as she might not even exist any longer in canon.
    Huge parts of the Clone Saga make even less sense if MJ wasn't pregnant.

(Oh well.)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    ...Superior would have needed a slightly different slant, but I think it would have worked.
    How I've approached Superior in my fanfiction (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1281972...-The-Great-Web) is Otto briefly took over Peter's body but he couldn't pass muster with MJ and the rest of Peter's inner circle. I introduced the concept of the proto-clone earlier than in canon so I had Otto leave Peter's body in favor of the proto-clone. Currently, Otto has decided to prove he is the better or "superior" Spider-Man. The two are thus engaged in a contest (although reluctantly on Peter's part) over who is the more "effective" crimefighter with Otto using surveillance technology (as in canon) and brutal methods to gain the upper hand in the court of public opinion.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-08-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The question is really would they have gone to a thrice-monthly schedule for Amazing?
    I imagine that would have been part of their publishing plan regardless of Spider-Man's marital status.

They'd probably have kept the short time-skip and the "re-pilot" approach - new reader friendly, rebuilding the supporting cast and soap opera elements, introducing new villains.

Huge parts of the Clone Saga make even less sense if MJ wasn't pregnant.

(Oh well.)
    true that lol

BANNED

Not that I've read every storyline, but with minor tweaking, many work with a married Peter Parker. (Perhaps not Chameleon impersonating Peter and sleeping with the roommate.)
    Since it isn't Peter sleeping with the room-mate, you could play it off as Chamelon framing Peter with adultery and repeat beats similar to Shathra going on TV and saying she slept with Spider-Man in JMS' run.

I think the storylines would have been about the same.
    A lot of the BND stuff focused on supporting cast, and indeed a common critique of Spider-Man post BND (and also in the Spencer run to some extent) is that the stories focus less on Peter than his supporting cast.

Aside from the romantic stuff which in the BND era suffered because it was seen, rightly so, as a replacement and self-proclaimed improvement on the marriage, you could do stuff like Marla Jameson's death, Spider-Island, and the Gauntlet stuff with the marriage.

Superior would have needed a slightly different slant, but I think it would have worked.
    Superior is a padded version of Kraven's Last Hunt, which happens to be the very first story with a married Spider-Man...so there's no reason why the story can't be done (should it be done though is the main question and my answer to that is no). Superior Spider-Man's denouement involves Mary Jane calling in the Cavalry and saving everyone from Goblin, so as it is, she plays a key role in the climax of that.

But anyway to me I am not interested in what stories could be done accommodating the marriage. I am interested in what better stories we could have gotten with them remaining married. Matt Fractions' "To Have and to Hold" was a story in part about the fact that there was still a great deal of potential in a married Spider-Man.

The question is really would they have gone to a thrice-monthly schedule for Amazing? That's what separated Spidey from a lot of the then-current events at Marvel.
    Slott once said, I think on Crawlspace, that Wacker would have been hired with or without OMD based on his success on the series 52.

There's no reason to believe that Miles Morales wouldn't exist if not for OMD.
    Both Axel Alonso (then EIC) and Bendis said openly that the inspirations for that was Obama's election and Donald Glover trying to become Spider-Man. That stuff would have happened without OMD. And Bendis would have followed through regardless.

I would imagine Harry would have remained dead. It was clear he was brought back so Peter had a long-standing supporting character to bounce off of with MJ being written out.
    I think Harry Osborn could have returned maybe but his return would have been more dramatic and he probably wouldn't be the bland and colorless character he became (I can't think it's an accident that Harry Osborn is a no-show for all 28 issues off Spencer's current run, and he really isn't missed).

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    How I've approached Superior in my fanfiction (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1281972...-The-Great-Web) is Otto briefly took over Peter's body but he couldn't pass muster with MJ and the rest of Peter's inner circle. I introduced the concept of the proto-clone earlier than in canon so I had Otto leave Peter's body in favor of the proto-clone. Currently, Otto has decided to prove he is the better or "superior" Spider-Man. The two are thus engaged in a contest (although reluctantly on Peter's part) over who is the more "effective" crimefighter with Otto using surveillance technology (as in canon) and brutal methods to gain the upper hand in the court of public opinion.
    So much better of an idea.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

So much better of an idea.
    Thanks , the way I see it this storyline (Superior Spider-Man) is about why not everyone can be a hero and why Spider-Man is more than a mere moniker. This is the deeper meaning. For those reasons, I decided to adopt the narrative structure in question.

Astonishing Member

Not that I've read every storyline, but with minor tweaking, many work with a married Peter Parker. (Perhaps not Chameleon impersonating Peter and sleeping with the roommate.)
    That story beat wouldn't have even happened if Peter was a happily married man living with his wife. Some of the subplots involving the supporting cast wouldn't have played out the same way, and many wouldn't have occurred at all.

Superior would have needed a slightly different slant, but I think it would have worked.
    I don't see how it could have worked if Peter was married and living with his wife. They'd have to break up first. Even then, I can't see the romance with Anna Maria playing out the same way. Carlie Cooper's involvement wouldn't be the same either. Would Carlie Cooper even exist?

Superior doesn't really have to change. Otto breaks up with her at the start, divorce proceedings or whatever don't finish before the story ends. They patch it up after.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate