Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 48
  1. #31
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Post-OMD Spider-man and most of Slott's run is far more stagnant than what came before.
    The good JMS era Spidey stories were never written by JMS himself or in the main books(Amazing, Sensational...). It was pretty boring.

  2. #32
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The good JMS era Spidey stories were never written by JMS himself or in the main books(Amazing, Sensational...). It was pretty boring.
    If there are / will be more "pro" people on this subject, like all the rest of the discussions, I have said my pieces of my mind here...I shall take my leave.

  3. #33

    Default

    It would probably be better. OMD divided the fan base and drove a lot of people away, many of whom never came back. The marriage wasn't some anchor around the character's neck, despite what Marvel thinks. And having Peter and MJ do a literal deal with a devil at least slightly tarnished both characters, and might be the worst decision in the history of comics.

    The stories we got post-OMD weren't all that great, either. BND was horribly boring, and Slott's run ranged from terrible to "meh."
    Last edited by Scarlet Spider-Man; 09-09-2019 at 11:18 AM.

  4. #34
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Superior doesn't really have to change. Otto breaks up with her at the start, divorce proceedings or whatever don't finish before the story ends. They patch it up after.
    Superior would have been superior if Mary Jane had been involved as it would have given the story emotional stakes.

    Have it start with Mary Jane out of town.

    When Mary Jane returns she realizes Peter isn't Peter.

    Otto starts divorce proceedings and masquerading as Peter he tries to make everyone believe Mary Jane is being irrational and refusing to accept reality.

    Mary Jane has to convince people she is not irrational while also not revealing Peter's secret identity. This ties her hands when she talkes to people like the Avengers. People begin to believe her obsession with Spider-Man's behavior is the cause of her marriage break-up.

    Ghost Peter breaks free and regains control because of his love for Mary Jane offering a parallel to Kraven's Last Hunt.

    Together they are able to take down Otto who realizes not only is he not superior but he also has never allowed himself to love someone as deeply as Peter and Mary Jane love each other. After all love can make you vulnerable and open to hurt and Otto thought he was superior to it as well.

    The story could even end with Peter and Mary Jane divorced and the two of them deciding to date before remarrying as the experience was traumatic for everyone. Then Marvel could have their single Spider-Man for a while but without insulting readers' intelligence the way OMD did.

  5. #35
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Somewhere in the multiverse, the Superior Divorce of Spider-Man exists.


    Peter B. Parker?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  6. #36
    Fantastic Member Yvonmukluk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There have been a lot of One More Day arguments but we don't typically consider what the comics would like if it hadn't happened.

    When JMS made the decision to end his run on Amazing Spider-Man, what if editorial had decided not to go ahead with One More Day? We probably wouldn't have the unmasking, since there wouldn't be a reset on the way.

    There might have been more satellite titles since the marriage does work okay in that context (It gives Peter a constant across the books to reference events in other monthlies) and without One More Day and Back in Black, the divide between sales of Amazing Spider-Man and sales of Sensational Spider-Man/ Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man wouldn't be as significant.

    There might not be a Miles Morales since that only came after the decision to kill off the Ultimate Peter Parker. Without Miles, there might not be a Spider-Verse or a Spider-Gwen.
    This seems like something of a flawed premise, since JMS has repeatedly gone on record (as recently as an AMA on reddit last month, in fact) that he would have happily kept writing a married Peter & MJ indefinitely. It seems to me that JMS' departure was likely directly related to OMD and the end of the marriage.

    Secodn of all, we know now explicitly, thanks to Mark Millar, that OMD was planned from before Civil War, hence why they suggested the unmaksing in the first place - since they were already planning to undo it. Them undoing it at the 11th hour as you propose seems very unlikely.

    So we're talking Peter not unmasking, Aunt May presumably not getting shot, and JMS still on the book.

  7. #37
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    So we're talking Peter not unmasking, Aunt May presumably not getting shot, and JMS still on the book.
    That itself is pretty interesting to contemplate.

    Civil War could play out a lot of ways. I think the interesting endgame is how it works with the post-CW status-quo of Osborn as "top cop". I think if Peter supports Tony but refuses to reveal his identity publicly, and instead just reveals it to a few...then you could have a scenario where Spider-Man and Norman Osborn end up working side-by-side with the US Government. You could play this a number of ways, Cap tells Peter to be a mole and turn traitor to take down Osborn from the inside...so you could have Dicaprio/Nicholson from The Departed stuff with Peter/Osborn and that'll be great.

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    This seems like something of a flawed premise, since JMS has repeatedly gone on record (as recently as an AMA on reddit last month, in fact) that he would have happily kept writing a married Peter & MJ indefinitely. It seems to me that JMS' departure was likely directly related to OMD and the end of the marriage.

    Secodn of all, we know now explicitly, thanks to Mark Millar, that OMD was planned from before Civil War, hence why they suggested the unmaksing in the first place - since they were already planning to undo it. Them undoing it at the 11th hour as you propose seems very unlikely.

    So we're talking Peter not unmasking, Aunt May presumably not getting shot, and JMS still on the book.
    When I said "We probably wouldn't have the unmasking, since there wouldn't be a reset on the way." I meant that the unmasking occurred because they figured it could be reset. I wasn't suggesting it would be reset at the 11th Hour, but that it would never have happened.

    I had always heard differently on JMS' departure. But he did seem to suggest in the Reddit AMA he left the book because editorial wanted to end the marriage. "It's a matter of historical record that Marvel wanted to unmarry Peter (but without the political weight of a divorce) and the book was commissioned by Editorial to achieve that. I had come onto the book to reunite the two, and I loved writing them as a married couple, would've been happy to continue doing that forever."

    Quesada's interviews left the impression JMS wanted to leave, but it also fits the idea that JMS just didn't want a write a post-OMD Spider-Man: "When we came up with the idea and methodology behind One More Day, Joe was a part of the group that came up with the story. When we were done and felt we had it nailed, Joe told me that he was going to cycle off of Amazing Spider-Man and that he wanted to move on to other stuff."

    This does raise the question on how long JMS would be on the book, and what kind of run there would be. Sales were going down before "The Other" jumpstarted things.

  9. #39
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,972

    Default

    Didn't JMS sort of start with Peter kind of estranged from MJ (Basically, she was believed to be dead for a while during the Bryne/Mackie stuff, but she was really just kidnapped, but even after Peter found her she left for a few years to deal with the trauma)? I think that's part of the reason Peter's kind of blowing off some steam in that first issue.

    I wonder if he intended to use her from the beginning, and her being rescued was part of that, but some last minute thing was made to write her out yet again. Curious if there's any story about that.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  10. #40
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Didn't JMS sort of start with Peter kind of estranged from MJ (Basically, she was believed to be dead for a while during the Bryne/Mackie stuff, but she was really just kidnapped, but even after Peter found her she left for a few years to deal with the trauma)? I think that's part of the reason Peter's kind of blowing off some steam in that first issue.

    I wonder if he intended to use her from the beginning, and her being rescued was part of that, but some last minute thing was made to write her out yet again. Curious if there's any story about that.
    According to Howard Mackie, MJ's "death" was forced by EIC Bob Harras against his and Byrne's wishes. Mackie inserted a backdoor (a panel showing a door coming across) to provide a way of undoing it. This was well before JMS was asked to sign on by Harras' successor, Joe Quesada.

    My guess is that MJ's "separation" was forced by editors to allow JMS to more or less ignore the fact that Mary Jane was kidnapped by a mutant stalker and held in a bunker and basically tortured for months and so on. They wanted to downplay and bury the entire fact that MJ had briefly been killed and brought from the dead...so the editors decided to treat it as a separation.

    JMS said in an interview that he had complete freedom on whether he could deal with the marriage, not deal with it, extend the separation or keep it and so on. He was the one who made the decision to make the marriage work and keep it.

  11. #41
    Mighty Member Vworp Vworp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,484

    Default

    Better.
    ...
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

    "Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

  12. #42
    Spectacular Member witchboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    134

    Default

    OMD was never necessary.
    The marriage happened, if they wanted him single, then a divorce was a realistic option. All the same stories since OMD could've been told with minimal to no changes and without creating such an unnecessary and antagonistic confrontation.

  13. #43
    Y'know. Pav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,214

    Default

    I still wish Kaine had saved Baby May from Norman Osborn, but that's me.

    -Pav, who figures Miles allows Peter to age a bit...
    2019 Marvel Monthly Buys: Superior Spider-Man Runaways Absolute Carnage: Lethal Protectors Silver Surfer: Black Death's Head House of X Powers of X Contagion

    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my middle school students! DM for details

  14. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I still wish Kaine had saved Baby May from Norman Osborn, but that's me.

    -Pav, who figures Miles allows Peter to age a bit...
    Well during Revelations, when Osborn ordered his flunkie Alison Mongrain to steal the "package" aka Baby May, I thought what a great way to torment Peter and make the outcome all the sweeter when Parker beats Osborn and claims his child, giving him and MJ a win...then they insult our intelligence by saying "May is alive!" Only for it to be Aunt May who died beautifully and elegantly in issue 400.

    Then OMD comes along and after its results, I dropped Spider comics for over a decade...I came back when Slott left (ironically I like his writing on F4)...I love the fact that Peter and MJ are a couple again...hope this eventually leads to the altar....fingers crossed!!!

  15. #45
    Spectacular Member witchboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doom Answers to No Master View Post
    Well during Revelations, when Osborn ordered his flunkie Alison Mongrain to steal the "package" aka Baby May, I thought what a great way to torment Peter and make the outcome all the sweeter when Parker beats Osborn and claims his child, giving him and MJ a win...then they insult our intelligence by saying "May is alive!" Only for it to be Aunt May who died beautifully and elegantly in issue 400.

    Then OMD comes along and after its results, I dropped Spider comics for over a decade...I came back when Slott left (ironically I like his writing on F4)...I love the fact that Peter and MJ are a couple again...hope this eventually leads to the altar....fingers crossed!!!
    I never believed Norman killed baby May. It was much more his style to raise her in secret as his ultimate long term weapon against Peter.
    We never got any proof she was dead.
    Now supposedly because of OMD, MJ never got pregnant. Because she never got married. Because I guess tptb think you can't get pregnant if you're not married?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •