Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Etta Candy

So Michael Cloonan confirmed on twitter that the chunky blonde amazon in the Future State: Immortal Wonder Woman was in fact inspired by Etta Candy. Heck, since none of the amazons were named, she could very well be the golden age Etta Candy if we want her to.
    The Golden Age Etta Candy always felt like an amazon in the making.

Last edited by Alpha; 06-14-2021 at 02:04 PM.

Etta should be Diana’s best friend from Man’s World and not in the military to make up a Wonder Trinity of Diana, Etta, and Steve all coming from different POVs and abilities. Etta should constantly be getting caught up in Diana’s adventures, whether that’s on her own or tagging along with Diana and Steve with ARGUS or other characters. She needs to be a civilian adventuress contrast to both Diana and Steve and their backgrounds.

The current Etta is so different from the Golden Age version, she might as well be a genderswapped Phil Darnell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bound4olympus View Post
    I’ve always loved Etta and I think she could easily be used. In my head cannon she is Diana’s first close friend just like in LofWW. I love the idea of her being in college, leader of the Holiday girls and Diana’s mentor on all things fun, pretty, fashionable and modern. I see her as a social media savant and possibly an influencer (maybe with a candy inspired line of body products). She doesn’t need to be white, in fact I prefer her to be black.Attachment 86772
    I love Etta being black, and I see Lizzo as a visual model for the character. Heck, Lizzo recently had a red hairdo that I wish that the comic book black Etta had. It would be a nice nod to the OG Etta, plus it would be kind of a nice wink-wink, cheeky nod at the whole notion of many redheads in pop culture being racebent to black.
    In any case, my only concern is the optics of a black Etta that retains Etta's original spunk and love for life. In the wrong writer's hands, it could come across as a shallow, empty-headed stereotype ("the sassy black friend")

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I love Etta being black, and I see Lizzo as a visual model for the character. Heck, Lizzo recently had a red hairdo that I wish that the comic book black Etta had. It would be a nice nod to the OG Etta, plus it would be kind of a nice wink-wink, cheeky nod at the whole notion of many redheads in pop culture being racebent to black.
    In any case, my only concern is the optics of a black Etta that retains Etta's original spunk and love for life. In the wrong writer's hands, it could come across as a shallow, empty-headed stereotype ("the sassy black friend")
    Yeah I have to admit that I recently fell in love with Lizzo and I totally saw Etta Candy in her too. DC is sleeping on a giant. If this was the MCU Etta Candy would have been her classic self and stolen the show.
    Last edited by Alpha; 06-15-2021 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Etta should be Diana’s best friend from Man’s World and not in the military to make up a Wonder Trinity of Diana, Etta, and Steve all coming from different POVs and abilities. Etta should constantly be getting caught up in Diana’s adventures, whether that’s on her own or tagging along with Diana and Steve with ARGUS or other characters. She needs to be a civilian adventuress contrast to both Diana and Steve and their backgrounds.
    Absolutely. Etta supposed to be at the center of Diana's radical journey if trabaflrming the world as well as an adventurer. The two of them are creating an army of amazons in our world with "normal" women, not just training them physically but by exploring science and philosophy.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks Etta and Steve regardless of competency should stay back most of the time and let Diana do her work.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Let's put it this way, the way I like Diana is as a teacher, creating an army of amazons out of the women from our real world. And what I really love is when this side of Diana feeds into how she resolves a conflict.

For example, in the first appearance of the Holliday Girls Diana has to break into the lair of Dr Poison and fight through her giant army. Etta leads the Holliday Girls in creating chaos on the lair while Diana goes in deep for the mission. And then when everything is over, Etta jumps in front of Diana to protect her from Dr Poison (of course Diana wasn't in actual danger) and Etta ends up defeating Dr Poison by herself. The point is, Diana can be the powerhouse doing the heavy lifting, while the people around her assist her in the most absurdly genius way possible, and this shows the impact that Diana has on others.

Diana isn't just saving people, she's teaching them how to save themselves. And what the characters around her do actually shows the impact that Diana has on the world.

Remember Captain America Winter Soldier when Steve is trying to take down the helicarriers? Wasn't it great seeing all the other shield agents fight against Hydra because of his speech?

I mean I get Diana's human allies getting to aid her in ways that makes sense for them. I.e. fighting the minions while Diana takes on the Big Bad but that still needs to feel plausible.

Its why I like Etta and Steve both being in ARGUS. Their talents would compliment Diana and her more dangerous missions. I even thought it was cool that James Robbinson brought back the Atomic Knights as elite soldiers in ARGUS. That's a plausible reintroduction that adds to Diana's universe.

Diana doesn't need a "holiday girls army" when she has amazons. Its not a modern reimagining that makes sense. I like the idea of the Holiday Girls being the premiere sorority at Marston University and having them interacting with Cassie and Yara more so then Diana, since Cassie and Yara are both at that college age range. They still follow amazon codes, help the community through organizing, and all that.

They can have mythical encounters like fighting a minotaur and solve mysteries like in Gotham Academy, but "standing amazon army" is a phrase that's really pushing the imagination.

Also, Etta flinging herself infront of danger knowing full well Diana would be fine otherwise just screams as less courageous and more stupidity. Being brash to a fault is not an admirable trait.

You don't want silly things to happen in the middle of the action, that's valid.

But by that same logic, do you feel that it made sense for Hawkeye and Black Widow to be in Avengers? And the point of Diana creating an amazon army in our world is that she is trying to transform our society.

I never liked the idea of her being the ambassador to the U.N. because she isn't really making much of a change to the world. We're never gonna see her actually create peace in the middle east. But by creating a movement and spending every day training others and expanding their minds, and by creating stories and conflicts around that, you can see her actually making a huge change.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    You don't want silly things to happen in the middle of the action, that's valid.
    Exactly.

But by that same logic, do you feel that it made sense for Hawkeye and Black Widow to be in Avengers? And the point of Diana creating an amazon army in our world is that she is trying to transform our society.
    Hawkeye and Black Widow (who is enhanced via a separate super soldier serum) are established super spies that have been proven to handle themselves in extreme situations, but is Marvel going to have them get into a fist fight with Thor without some crazy empowerment/equipment? probably not. Steve, if he was treated as someone like Hawkeye or Black Widow could be seen doing this, but we know how DC typically handles poor Steve. Etta I can see too, but this does mean going into the military langue and culture (albeit a more modern/progressive one) that people here don't seem to want. Golden Age Etta wouldn't fit this persona, I mean she can have the sass and spunk but its going to be mixed with military lingo.

I never liked the idea of her being the ambassador to the U.N. because she isn't really making much of a change to the world. We're never gonna see her actually create peace in the middle east. But by creating a movement and spending every day training others and expanding their minds, and by creating stories and conflicts around that, you can see her actually making a huge change.
    Well, Diana as an ambassador works on a lot of levels. Between setting up conflicts with her position as a hero and establishing a somewhat higher authority in the real world that Diana needs to be cautious of. Diana CAN'T just go around solving all the problems in the world, some are out of her control to begin with and others simply won't allow her to. Diana being an ambassador is a starting point that allows Diana as a character to evolve and go from being a pure hopeful optimist to a more real truthful pragmatist when it comes to true change. Enter her speaking to college students, teaching younger generations, etc...

I just see a Gal Gadot/Rebel Wilson, because it's a no-brainer. I suppose you can shove an American actress, in there - white, black, indigenous or Asian. Truthfully, I can't think of a better black Etta, than Gabourney Sidibe, or a better Indian-American Etta, ..than Mindi Kaling.

I can totally see Gal and Melissa McCarthy rocking WW3, as Diana reunited, with the original Etta's American granddaughter and namesake.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-23-2021 at 11:11 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member

Eta Candy shouldn't be military.

But she should be a badass

Incredible Member

I loved the 77 Carter series Etta, Beatrice Colleen, and frankly don't like most of these Etta casting ideas. Her being slightly more "normal" or plus sized is fine...but Lizzo? Gabourey? That's considerably larger. And Rebel isn't the kind of funny I would cast in this part.

I like Etta bigger but not extremely overweight....comic but not obnoxious or falling over (such an insulting "fat comedienne" trope) or classless....and probably a pale redhead/blonde/slightly mousey type. She has to be capable and kind.

I liked Gail's Etta a lot. Perez's too.

Yeah Rebel Wilson isn't who I'd cast.

Etta has never been inept of course. The whole point of the character was that she was formidable. I didn't like Perez's Etta wharsoever, and Gail's was a step in the right direction, but she still wasn't real Etta.

Etta is extravagant, both in personality and body.