Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Etta Candy

I loved the 77 Carter series Etta, Beatrice Colleen,
    That version was never forceful enough to me. "Mousey" is just the exact opposite of what Etta should be to me. She's confident and bold. Not obnoxious or rude, but forceful and strong. Not shy, timid, or lacking in presence. She was the leader among her sorority. Heck, she didn't back down from fighting Nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yeah Rebel Wilson isn't who I'd cast.

Etta has never been inept of course. The whole point of the character was that she was formidable. I didn't like Perez's Etta wharsoever, and Gail's was a step in the right direction, but she still wasn't real Etta.

Etta is extravagant, both in personality and body.
    I've got reserva...none of them feel like perfect casting to me! Drop Melissa into WW3, and it's her movie - Gal becomes a prop. Frankly, I don't see Gal having any chemistry, with Rebel or Gabourney. Further, I think there would be a synergy, with Mindy Kaling, for some reason, ..but not sure she's weird or over-the-top enough to be a good Etta.

We should look at Etta, in the middle of doing something Etta'ish, ..and wonder, if she is actually human. We should look in her eyes and see sex, chocolate, BBQ ..and destruction!

Movies, aside; this comic needs some good Etta, again! Some weirdass, Marstonian Etta! What is it - are writers scared of her? The friendship with Etta is the heart of this WW comic! It's where Diana connects to the human (or whatever Etta is) condition. We relate to Wonder Woman, through her friendship with Etta. Without that working, Diana is a cold, marble statue ..or Xena - take your pick! Dr. Marston knew what he was doing, when he dropped Etta into the mix.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-24-2021 at 12:14 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I've got reserva...none of them feel like perfect casting to me! Drop Melissa into WW3, and it's her movie - Gal becomes a prop. Frankly, I don't see Gal having any chemistry, with Rebel or Gabourney. Further, I think there would be a synergy, with Mindy Kaling, for some reason, ..but not sure she's weird or over-the-top enough to be a good Etta.
    The Gal Gadot version of Diana lacks the attitude to be the best friend of Etta Candy so I would never suggest actually bringing in Etta for the 3rd movie.

We should look at Etta, in the middle of doing something Etta'ish, ..and wonder, if she is actually human. We should look in her eyes and see sex, chocolate, BBQ ..and destruction!
    That's a great description of Etta. And I think the reason why writers don't use the real Etta is because when they look at the Golden Age they consider her just an outdated comic relief, instead of seeing her actual value. Just my theory though.

Yvette Nicole Brown's character from Community is how I think a modern Etta Candy should be depicted both in terms of looks and personality.

Barbara Minerva: I can excuse racism but I draw the line at animal cruelty and forced marriages.

Etta: You can excuse racism?!

I love her but I'm not sure I totally agree with the personality comparison. Shirley is feisty, but she isn't body positive. The only time I can recall her talking about her body was when she commented on Jeff not having sexual chemistry with her and she said "I don't know if it's because I'm black or if I intimidate you sexually, but I know it's one of those two things". Shirley is quite insecure actually, and just puts on a facade. Love her though and I see how Yvette Nicole Brown reminds you of the Golden Age Etta. It's the hair, the cheeks, the eyesight and the mouth.

Of course she won't be exactly like her character on Community but the general personality and charm is what she would bring to Etta.

If they need a movie or HBO series Etta Candy they should go with Nicola Coughlan from Derry Girls and Bridgerton. I can see her doing a great job.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 07-02-2021 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    If the need a movie or HBO series Etta Candy they should go with Nicola Coughlan from Derry Girls and Bridgerton. I can see her doing a great job.
    Ooo, good choice!
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I just want Etta who pushes people holding a gun, out the way because she got a toothache back. She was fun and saved Diana on many occassions. Sure she's a comic relief, but she actually did something. Etta was basically Diana's right hand lady. She lead the Holliday Girls to back up WW when she needed help. There is a lot to work with Etta Candy.

As for Black Etta. I don't care too much about her. You can have both Ettas in continuity. The wild college-age Etta and the mature working woman Etta.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 07-03-2021 at 02:17 PM.