Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Etta Candy

Default Etta Candy

What is your favourite Etta Candy? Should she be in the miltarty? What should be her relationship with Diana?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-08-2019 at 09:02 PM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

... man I said that Etta could inspire her own topic but this is NOT what I had in mind.

Etta being black is fine. Etta being in the military is fine. She was in the military back before Flashpoint. It's the fact that Etta isn't simultaneously fun that presents a problem.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I don't like Etta being black. I don't know it's just that she always been white and they could have added another character to be that way. I mean Etta had a brother who was in a interracial marriage
    Maybe I'm alone in this, but I find this post problematic at best. Please see my reply on the other tread.

I meant to add more stuff. I wonder why DC doesn't give Etta more spotlight.

I don't care if she's white or black (though the thrend of racebending redheads has become ridiculous at this point), I just want the old Etta back. Not some insecure woman jealous of Diana, not nice Amanda Waller. Let her be fun, brash, happy and Diana's best friend and sidekick

Like with Steve. What should change or stay with Etta? I do think we should see more of her family.

I just did a post on this on Tumblr. Though I certainly don't know all versions. A modernized version of the golden age would by my preference. Someone Diana meets right away. Not military. Race and sexual orientation are are fine either way (as long as she's not interested in Diana), though I admit a preference for white with strawberry blonde hair, just for the visual similarity to golden age version. Also very short. Maybe 4'10". 5'0" at most. And fat (not just slightly chubby), though not so fat it inhibits her ability to get around or be active. But she thinks she's beautiful, and is happy with her body. Got some muscle, obviously, too, since she can kick butt. Boisterous, brash, confident, brave, and loyal. Probably a bit tactless, too. Has some leadership abilities - since she was the boss of the Holliday Girls back in the old days. Well-liked. Don't really know what I want her to do after graduating college. Something fun, I think. One of those jobs people like to do, and want to do, even if they don't pay great. Like radio announcer for music. If she went syndicated on a talk show, she could make a mint, too. But just something not "boring" (boring-sounding to an audience - how boring actual work is depends on person working, where one works, etc.).

As an aside, were there any other consistent, recurring Holliday girls?
    Last edited by Tzigone; 09-09-2019 at 08:43 AM.

Etta is the most well known. So she gets to be seen more than any other. I wonder are there any other characters that could fit in with the Holliday Girls? I would vote for Nessie.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Etta is the most well known. So she gets to be seen more than any other. I wonder are there any other characters that could fit in with the Holliday Girls? I would vote for Nessie.
    She's not the right generation to me. If you want to continue using the Holliday girls forever, she could work. I tend to like to use them until Etta graduates, and then move on, because a rotating cast of support is less interesting to me (Etta would stick around after graduation, but not the othres). Also, it depends on your perception of Nessie - I tend to think of her as less bold and less adventurous than the Holliday set. A truly civilian friend, who doesn't willingly get involved in adventures (the Silver Swan thing may or may not still happen in my perfect universe, but would be one-and-done-and-she's-cured if it did).

Makes sense. I wouldn’t mind if we see some of them every now and then. With Nessie it’s more to set up Diana living with Nessie’s family like in Perez

I’ve always loved Etta and I think she could easily be used. In my head cannon she is Diana’s first close friend just like in LofWW. I love the idea of her being in college, leader of the Holiday girls and Diana’s mentor on all things fun, pretty, fashionable and modern. I see her as a social media savant and possibly an influencer (maybe with a candy inspired line of body products). She doesn’t need to be white, in fact I prefer her to be black.BC10D8D2-B9DA-457F-B10A-3EF8B56EB818.jpg

Retired

Diana first meets Etta when she's at Holliday College. If you want the military connection, then Holliday could be a military college. Etta graduates and becomes a military officer, but she still maintains connections with the college--maybe she does training there or maybe the government is running a secret project out of the college. We're introduced to other women at the college--some of them are students, some of them are instructors. The college becomes Wonder Woman's base of operations.

I don't know. I don't like how much of her supporting cast is now in the US miltarty. I rather have Steve in the military and Etta doing something else. Seeing how LoWW's Etta is treated. Etta could make a great singer or fashion designer.

Retired

I always imagined she'd get hitched to a Texan rancher named Handel Barr, making her Etta Candy-Barr, and they'd raise cattle together. Classic Etta was born and raised in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bound4olympus View Post
    I’ve always loved Etta and I think she could easily be used. In my head cannon she is Diana’s first close friend just like in LofWW. I love the idea of her being in college, leader of the Holiday girls and Diana’s mentor on all things fun, pretty, fashionable and modern. I see her as a social media savant and possibly an influencer (maybe with a candy inspired line of body products). She doesn’t need to be white, in fact I prefer her to be black.BC10D8D2-B9DA-457F-B10A-3EF8B56EB818.jpg
    Yes, I like this idea!