Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by zero hunter View Post
    one i always like to mention is the hercules: Prince of power trilogy by bob layton. It is set in the future where hercules has left earth and is wandering the stars having fun and getting in trouble. It was two 4 issue mini series and a marvel graphic novel and it is epic. Herc in space dealing with the all the crazyness out there is the perfect setting for marvels number one party boy.

damn straight!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Even though it started in 1979 the bulk of the Marvel Micronauts took place in the 80's. That book for being a licensed property was so much a part of the Marvel with crossovers with the X-Men, Fantastic Four, SHIELD, Man Thing, Doctor Strange, and many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    I also agree about power pack. Great comic with some surprising adults things at times like the kids getting kidnapped by a lonely mother morlock and saved by the X-Men. The kids still befriend the mom and she adopts some morlock kids without a mom. Then later in mutant Massacre they come across the mom and her kids dead in their room! That was harsh for the time!

Speaking of mutant Massacre it also showed how powerful these kids can be (they deal with alien races and thor bad guys after all) as sabertooth comes across them thinking they are easy prey only to get his butt kicked!

The last half of transformers was great also with more fleshed out heroes then the cartoon and the unicron arc was epic!
    Agreed. Grimlock was like a boss in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Gijoe was also better then the cartoon with more fleshed out heroes, a cooler snake eyes and they can even have deaths in the book! The second gijoe cover I posted down below all those joes are killed in one issue!
    Marvel's G.I. Joe had a lot of unexpected twists & turns (like when Zartan, Destro & Baroness switched sides and became good guys).
    Last edited by K7P5V; 09-17-2019 at 02:20 AM.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Marvel's G.I. Joe had a lot of unexpected twists & turns. Like when Zartan, Destro & Baroness switched sides and became good guys.
    The live action G.I. Joe movies really should have taken a cue from Marvel's G.I. Joe. Marvel could have produced shallow comics that were little more than marketing tools for toys. Instead, the Marvel went with a more serious, deeper take on the concept. I still enjoy that run!

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    The live action G.I. Joe movies really should have taken a cue from Marvel's G.I. Joe. Marvel could have produced shallow comics that were little more than marketing tools for toys. Instead, the Marvel went with a more serious, deeper take on the concept. I still enjoy that run!
    I enjoyed that run, too. Marvel showed how much could be accomplished with both ingenuity and imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Byrne's run on the West Coast Avengers, and first two years of Alpha Flight were pretty amazing.
    Isn’t that the run where Wanda goes “bad” and he completely erases Visions character? If so I thought it was a benchmark on bad runs. A run that literally takes decades for other writers to try to fix.

Alpha flight was good. Marvel needs runs like that to balance out the more standard stuff.

Wasn't G.I. Joe even outselling X-Men at marvel for a period of time?

Transformers was also shockingly more dark than the animated cartoon series for a child. (Issue 4 ended with 98% of the heroes dead, and their leader Optimus Prime's head severed from his body and held captive. A later issue had a woman left paralyzed from a Decepticon attack.)

I haven't read them myself, but I have heard good things about "Elfquest" (an indie comic that was reprinted by Marvel in the 80's), "the Nam" (about the Vietnam War), and "Groo the Wanderer" (A barbarian comic parody).

I liked "The New Mutants" and "Solo Avengers/ Avengers Spotlight" at the time.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    One I always like to mention is the Hercules: Prince of Power trilogy by Bob Layton. It is set in the future where Hercules has left Earth and is wandering the stars having fun and getting in trouble. It was two 4 issue mini series and a Marvel Graphic Novel and it is epic. Herc in space dealing with the all the crazyness out there is the perfect setting for Marvels number one party boy.

By Zeus, YES! This was (is? will be?) an extraordinary gem.

X-men vs Avengers (1987) was one of my favorite read, so was Mephisto vs.

Rom A quality book, and something a little different from Marvel's usual super-hero fare at the time.

Captain Britain The Moore/Davis Jasper's Warp run tends to soke up the praise, but the Delano/Davis run that followed it was still strong, developing Betsy, Meggan, and putting a twist in Jamie's character.

And though it has been mentioned, the Miller/Sienkiewicz Elektra Assassin was pretty amazing, imo.

Moon Knight (Meonch/Seinkewicz): It's the run that everybody keeps aspiring to and never really reaches.
    ROM - despite a few very significant and very enjoyable crossovers it was mostly totally self-contained with its own amazing mythos of Spaceknights at war with the shape-changing Dire Wraiths. (until the end when all the heroes got involved)
    Crystar, the Crystal warrior
    Machine Man (mini) -Barry Windsor Smith, 'nuff said. Okay, also Iron Man 2020...
    Alien Legion (it was under Epic, which was part of Marvel)
    Cloak & Dagger
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-10-2019 at 02:32 PM.

I was going to say Cloak & Dagger, but I forgot. The Moench/Sienkiewicz Moon Knight is the reason the character still gets given chances.

Stern's Dr. Strange became the definitive version for me.

Micronauts: The New Voyages, especially the first few issues really impressed me when I first read them.

The Strange Tales series with Dr. Strange and Cloak & Dagger.

The Sienkiewicz run on New Mutants, but I think it's no longer underrated.

And I really liked New Defenders.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 09-10-2019 at 03:13 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I forgot about Machine Man. That mini was awesome. Really most of the mini series Marvel did in the 80's were good. Another one that is just fantastic is Longshot. Ann Nocenti writing and the legend Art Adams doing the art made this 6 issue mini a must have.

Claremont's New Mutants
    Ann Nocenti's Daredevil
    Stern's Dr. Strange