View Poll Results: What say you?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Innocent Civilians (to be spared)

3 2.78%
  • No - Criminals (to be apprehended)

31 28.70%
  • No - Enemy Combatants (to be stopped by any means necessary)

69 63.89%
  • Other

5 4.63%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

doug ramsey please adopt the tri-baby

but maybe that krakoan coochie is too good rn idk
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Yeah, that anti-mutant bias you're talking about, that's what's called programming.
    Line of codes.
    There's no intent behind a virtual command to be executed. None.
    Thank you for illustrating how they are tools to be shaped by the hands of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Sentinel are inherently evil from the moment they have such a specific purpose as "killing mutants."

They are not generic giant robots. They are not used against aliens or against demons. They are designed from the first line of code to the last nut to kill mutants.
    They are weapons, no different than your tank or your gun. They have no intent, they are not good nor evil. The hand programming them or using them is. That's that.
    If you're gonna tell me weapons in general are evil, that's an entirely different topic. But as is, Sentinels are tools who've been historically used against mutants, either because they were programmed to do so, or piloted to do so. Nothing more.
    Last edited by People Of The Earth; 09-10-2019 at 08:39 AM.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Astonishing Member

I think attacking them with nukes would have been justified

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Yeah, that anti-mutant bias you're talking about, that's what's called programming.
    Line of codes.
    There's no intent behind a virtual command to be executed. None.
    Thank you for illustrating how they are tools to be shaped by the hands of people.
    Why are you comparing them to a tank or gun? Guns were created for general defense, as with tanks and missiles and nukes. General defense. Sentinels are something more and they will always see mutants as a threat to be handled. No duh they are tools shaped by humanity, that’s the whole basis of their creation but they were literally created to kill mutants. AIs that have racist bias in their programming are inherently bad based on that creator/creation. This isn’t to say all robots are bad or all AI is evil, but a Sentinel has to fit a specific definition and that definition is “exterminate all mutants.”

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    If humans wanna go Mother 3 on the mutants with the technology, they should build Mandroids, get in the Mandroids, and fight them themselves.
    Exactly. Either recruit or create superhumans or build man piloted suits to fight superhuman criminals....not just mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Why are you comparing them to a tank or gun? Guns were created for general defense, as with tanks and missiles and nukes. General defense. Sentinels are something more and they will always see mutants as a threat to be handled. No duh they are tools shaped by humanity, that’s the whole basis of their creation but they were literally created to kill mutants. AIs that have racist bias in their programming are inherently bad based on that creator/creation. This isn’t to say all robots are bad or all AI is evil, but a Sentinel has to fit a specific definition and that definition is “exterminate all mutants.”
    Why am I comparing a weapon to other weapons? Isn't that obvious?
    General defense? Look, programming a tank or a missile to target mutants will be just as dangerous for them than programming Sentinels to do the same. In both situations, they will be tools programmed to achieve something, either the capture or the destruction of the mutants targeted.
    They are not sentient.
    They have no intent.
    They are dispassionate tools executing the command they've been programmed with.
    That's part of the horror attached to them actually, that unrelenting, unforgiving nature of theirs.
    Anyway, you and others are saying that makes these things evil, I'm saying that makes the people who programmed them evil. Nothing more, nothing less.
    They have been repurposed before by other people to attack invaders (like Kang), attack civilians (like New yorkers) and even protect mutants (id est Nation X).
    I stand by what I said earlier, think Terminator II if that helps you get my point.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Why am I comparing a weapon to other weapons? Isn't that obvious?
    General defense? Look, programming a tank or a missile to target mutants will be just as dangerous for them than programming Sentinels to do the same. In both situations, they will be tools programmed to achieve something, either the capture or the destruction of the mutants targeted.
    They are not sentient.
    They have no intent.
    They are dispassionate tools executing the command they've been programmed with.
    That's part of the horror attached to them actually, that unrelenting, unforgiving nature of theirs.
    Anyway, you and others are saying that makes these things evil, I'm saying that makes the people who programmed them evil. Nothing more, nothing less.
    They have been repurposed before by other people to attack invaders (like Kang), attack civilians (like New yorkers) and even protect mutants (id est Nation X).
    I stand by what I said earlier, think Terminator II if that helps you get my point.
    They also through the ONE program protected the 198...sentinals can be reprogrammed...and they SHOULD be used when nonAI threats to earth appear.
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The only reason why comparing Sentinels to real-life weapons fall apart is due to artificial intelligence not being that advanced as shown in comics.
    It's probably similar to training dogs to attack people you don't like.
    "Cable was right!"

Mighty Member

So do the anti-Sentinels posters think that power dampening nanites or inhibitor collars are unacceptable too? Humans should just rely on the Avengers or other non mutant heroes for protection. Humanity are inherently at a great disadvantage against mutants in practically all areas, what are they to do; just lay down and accept the slow march to annihilation and extinction? Accept the rhetoric of mutant superiority and mutant dominance of the planet? Humanity will never accept that and if they did they wouldn't be humans, it's not human nature to give up and give in. Humanity may ultimately lose the war against mutants but they are not going to go into oblivion without a fight. And in a war for survival you use every weapon in your Arsenal, thats what mutants are doing especially with regards to omega mutants, humanity is doing it with Sentinels(Mother Mold and Nimrod)

Sending the Sentinels to fight Kang was actually pretty big brain until he uh, took control of them. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The only reason why comparing Sentinels to real-life weapons fall apart is due to artificial intelligence not being that advanced as shown in comics.
    It's probably similar to training dogs to attack people you don't like.
    Great...do we assume every train guard dog is racisist if one guy trains HIS guard dog to attack all black people???
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Don't know how Larry David and Wanda Sykes got involved, but I'm here for it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    So do the anti-Sentinels posters think that power dampening nanites or inhibitor collars are unacceptable too? Humans should just rely on the Avengers or other non mutant heroes for protection. Humanity are inherently at a great disadvantage against mutants in practically all areas, what are they to do; just lay down and accept the slow march to annihilation and extinction? Accept the rhetoric of mutant superiority and mutant dominance of the planet? Humanity will never accept that and if they did they wouldn't be humans, it's not human nature to give up and give in. Humanity may ultimately lose the war against mutants but they are not going to go into oblivion without a fight. And in a war for survival you use every weapon in your Arsenal, thats what mutants are doing especially with regards to omega mutants, humanity is doing it with Sentinels(Mother Mold and Nimrod)
    No powered individual should be deprived of their abilities without due process. If you are a criminal then the courts can order depowering as part of your punishment. If your powers are uncontrollable and a threat to yourself or others then a court can order depowering. If you are just a citizen minding your own business then the government should not do a damn thing.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 09-10-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Was supposed to have a quote in it. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Each individual human is going to die and give way to their descendants anyway eventually, and none of their anti-mutant actions are going to stop that.

It's only a war (more like a quick skirmish) if the humans can't learn to share with their own young.