Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: City of bane

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    King is done with deconstruction. The final act of his run is reconstruction.
    King wouldn't know how to reconstruct something -or construct- even if his live depended on it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    King wouldn't know how to reconstruct something -or construct- even if his live depended on it.
    And why would he? We all know depressed heroes are the best thing ever.

I can't wait for him to get off this book.

Incredible Member

Oh wait, marriage will fix his depression. Because depression works that way.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

The story feels like payoff for bearing through a lot of bad filler issues in this run, even though the arc itself has a lot of filler moments as well.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    Bad in the way we already expected from the preview or even worse?
    The dialogue is just terrible. It was bad. Couldn’t wait for this issue to actually be over.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    The story feels like payoff for bearing through a lot of bad filler issues in this run, even though the arc itself has a lot of filler moments as well.
    Where is the payoff? You can’t have 78 issues of character assassination and then fix it in 7 issues. This issue is definitely not a good start to reconstruction either.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    Where is the payoff? You can’t have 78 issues of character assassination and then fix it in 7 issues. This issue is definitely not a good start to reconstruction either.
    The payoff so far is things actually happening for once
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 09-10-2019 at 11:23 AM.

I'm not going to debate it on terms of quality, as the run is so divisive at this point. But in terms of "selling" the story to a new reader, City of Bane is intended to be the payoff to the previous 74 issues, but more specifically the cliffhanger at the end of issue 50. If you haven't read the series to this point, jumping in at 75 probably wouldn't be the best idea.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    The payoff so far is things actually happening for once, like Alfred dying, batcat reuniting, Gotham Girl and Thomas Wayne Batman finally doing things after being teased...etc.
    Batman finally doing things as a payoff...seriously? XD
    I guess King really thinks that counts as payoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    Batman finally doing things as a payoff...seriously? XD
    I guess King really thinks that counts as payoff.
    It is payoff. First King teased that he was here now he has him actively taking part in Bane’s plan for reasons we know about thanks to the desert trip.

Incredible Member

Sorry, but a protagonist like Batman finally getting off his ass after how many issues of acting like a secondary character in his own book isn't payoff, just the end of a terrible narrative choice.

Spectacular Member

Any idea who is taking over after King's (ahem) masterpiece is done?

Incredible Member

To me, for it to count as “pay off” it has to justify the last 74 issues. This definitely does not and I can’t imagine there is a way it I’ll in the next 7 issues. You can’t tear a character down for 75 issues and then build him up in 10. This bad story telling. Especially considering that he still hasn’t actually started the building back up. When is that going to happen? Issue 84? Nah man. This is just the start to the ending of a long and short run.

Quote Originally Posted by katefan View Post
    Any idea who is taking over after King's (ahem) masterpiece is done?
    I saw someone mention G Wilson, but have no source to back that up so take that with a grain of salt. Bendis is also a name being thrown around.

I would advice users to avoid spoilers of the current storyline or hide them since the OP hasn't read the comic yet and we don't know how much he knows about the story. If the OP doesn't care about spoilers, then it's fine, but until then, I think it's best to avoid them.

About the thread, I think it depends on why you jumped off the run in the first place. If you didn't like nor care about what King was doing back then, I don't see a reason to like it now. If there's another reason for you leaving the title back then, I recommend you to try City of Bane. I have been a big fan of it and I think so far is one of the best arcs King has done in the title
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH