Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: City of bane

  1. #1
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    40

    Default City of bane

    Been off of Batman since the War of Jokes and Riddles....but for some reason the City of Bane looks enticing? Sell me on it, sell me against it. Is it worth jumping back in on the Caped Crusader's adventures?

  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,101

    Wink

    If you like an emotionally crippled, ineffectual, lovelorn Batman who is totally dependant on his erstwhile romantic partner for purpose and to be an effective crimefighter this is the storyline for you. Furthermore, if you've ever wondered what would happen if Batman embraced his inner loathing to a point where he could barely function I'd highly recommend King's run as a whole.

    Bane once broke Batman's body now he's broken his mind heck I'd say his spirit as well. I suppose this is one positive or point of interest. Still, IMO, it doesn't make up for the ocean of crap the reader must wade through.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-09-2019 at 04:03 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  3. #3
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    40

    Default

    so......in simple English you are saying go for it

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoopsguru View Post
    so......in simple English you are saying go for it
    If you are a masochist or enjoy the "deconstruction" of iconic characters, sure go right ahead.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member Pohzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    tOSU
    Posts
    2,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    If you are a masochist or enjoy the "deconstruction" of iconic characters, sure go right ahead.
    King is done with deconstruction. The final act of his run is reconstruction.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

    Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)


  6. #6
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    the internet
    Posts
    1,723

    Default

    the lead up to City of Bane was long and pretty boring but City of Bane is a fun (but grim) recontextualization of Gotham under Bane's rules. it's probably the best part of King's run in a while.
    SIGNAL/Duke Thomas is the Midnight Sun of Gotham (respect thread)
    John Stewart is my Lantern.
    Naomi was great, pass it on...
    DC: Batman and the Outsiders, Justice League, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Flash, Justice League Odyssey, Doomsday Clock
    Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, Ironheart, Cosmic Ghost Rider etc., Venom, Moon Girl, Avengers
    Anticipated titles: Far Sector, Love Army*, The Other History of DC*

  7. #7
    Concerned Citizen Citizen Kane's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Amongst the people
    Posts
    454

    Default

    The story is bloody awful, which made the artwork the only thing to really enjoy. Luckily, the artwork is pretty damn good aside from some strange panels/designs here and there.

  8. #8
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Hamburg
    Posts
    13

    Default

    If you enjoy a story plagued by 1000 plotholes, sure go ahead. I'm used to a lot, but King can't even remember basic facts he established in the previous issue.

  9. #9
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    King is done with deconstruction. The final act of his run is reconstruction.
    As the famous Canadian Comedian, Red Green once said - "if it isn't broke you aren't trying". I guess King took this advice to heart especially when it came to Bruce/Batman oh and his supporting cast, his family, his world, his history, his (relative) mental stability, his competency as a crimefighter, well you get the picture.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-09-2019 at 07:07 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member Pohzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    tOSU
    Posts
    2,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    As the famous Canadian Comedian, Red Green once said - "if it isn't broke you aren't trying". I guess King took this advice to heart especially when it came to Bruce/Batman.
    Typically stories will put heroes in a rut to pull them back out. That's how conflict works. But since King has one long 100 issue story planned, the middle quarter and low point is 25 issues. Which may feel excessive.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

    Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)


  11. #11
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Typically stories will put heroes in a rut to pull them back out. That's how conflict works. But since King has one long 100 issue story planned, the middle quarter and low point is 25 issues. Which may feel excessive.
    Not usually this much of a rut. This type of rut is frankly inexcusable in his totality and beyond excessive in its duration. King is tone death not only when it comes to Batman and Batman's world but I would also argue with telling a good, coherent story at this point. Which is why sales have taken a nosedive.

    Edit - Sorry everyone if I came on a bit strong but I loath current sad sack Batman.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-09-2019 at 07:17 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  12. #12
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Not usually this much of a rut. This type of rut is frankly inexcusable in his totality and beyond excessive in its duration. King is tone death not only when it comes to Batman and Batman's world but I would also argue with telling a good, coherent story at this point. Which is why sales have taken a nosedive.

    Edit - Sorry everyone if I came on a bit strong but I loath current sad sack Batman.
    You're definitely not the only one. Wait until you actually read 78, it's ridiculously bad.

  13. #13
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    148

    Default

    One problem is that King keeps using shock value moments, like Bruce hitting Tim, but then Bruce never thinks about it again. Why does King keep throwing the Robin's under the bus when their relationship with Bruce clearly doesn't matter in this run?

  14. #14
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    You're definitely not the only one. Wait until you actually read 78, it's ridiculously bad.
    Bad in the way we already expected from the preview or even worse?

  15. #15
    Incredible Member Bat-Meal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    One problem is that King keeps using shock value moments, like Bruce hitting Tim, but then Bruce never thinks about it again. Why does King keep throwing the Robin's under the bus when their relationship with Bruce clearly doesn't matter in this run?
    Maybe he hates Robins?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •