Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: City of bane

Spectacular Member

Default City of bane

Been off of Batman since the War of Jokes and Riddles....but for some reason the City of Bane looks enticing? Sell me on it, sell me against it. Is it worth jumping back in on the Caped Crusader's adventures?

Wink

If you like an emotionally crippled, ineffectual, lovelorn Batman who is totally dependant on his erstwhile romantic partner for purpose and to be an effective crimefighter this is the storyline for you. Furthermore, if you've ever wondered what would happen if Batman embraced his inner loathing to a point where he could barely function I'd highly recommend King's run as a whole.

Bane once broke Batman's body now he's broken his mind heck I'd say his spirit as well. I suppose this is one positive or point of interest. Still, IMO, it doesn't make up for the ocean of crap the reader must wade through.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-09-2019 at 04:03 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Spectacular Member

so......in simple English you are saying go for it

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsguru View Post
    so......in simple English you are saying go for it
    If you are a masochist or enjoy the "deconstruction" of iconic characters, sure go right ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    If you are a masochist or enjoy the "deconstruction" of iconic characters, sure go right ahead.
    King is done with deconstruction. The final act of his run is reconstruction.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

the lead up to City of Bane was long and pretty boring but City of Bane is a fun (but grim) recontextualization of Gotham under Bane's rules. it's probably the best part of King's run in a while.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

The story is bloody awful, which made the artwork the only thing to really enjoy. Luckily, the artwork is pretty damn good aside from some strange panels/designs here and there.

If you enjoy a story plagued by 1000 plotholes, sure go ahead. I'm used to a lot, but King can't even remember basic facts he established in the previous issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    King is done with deconstruction. The final act of his run is reconstruction.
    As the famous Canadian Comedian, Red Green once said - "if it isn't broke you aren't trying". I guess King took this advice to heart especially when it came to Bruce/Batman oh and his supporting cast, his family, his world, his history, his (relative) mental stability, his competency as a crimefighter, well you get the picture.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-09-2019 at 07:07 PM.

As the famous Canadian Comedian, Red Green once said - "if it isn't broke you aren't trying". I guess King took this advice to heart especially when it came to Bruce/Batman.
    Typically stories will put heroes in a rut to pull them back out. That's how conflict works. But since King has one long 100 issue story planned, the middle quarter and low point is 25 issues. Which may feel excessive.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Typically stories will put heroes in a rut to pull them back out. That's how conflict works. But since King has one long 100 issue story planned, the middle quarter and low point is 25 issues. Which may feel excessive.
    Not usually this much of a rut. This type of rut is frankly inexcusable in his totality and beyond excessive in its duration. King is tone death not only when it comes to Batman and Batman's world but I would also argue with telling a good, coherent story at this point. Which is why sales have taken a nosedive.

Edit - Sorry everyone if I came on a bit strong but I loath current sad sack Batman.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-09-2019 at 07:17 PM.

Incredible Member

Not usually this much of a rut. This type of rut is frankly inexcusable in his totality and beyond excessive in its duration. King is tone death not only when it comes to Batman and Batman's world but I would also argue with telling a good, coherent story at this point. Which is why sales have taken a nosedive.

Edit - Sorry everyone if I came on a bit strong but I loath current sad sack Batman.
    You're definitely not the only one. Wait until you actually read 78, it's ridiculously bad.

Incredible Member

One problem is that King keeps using shock value moments, like Bruce hitting Tim, but then Bruce never thinks about it again. Why does King keep throwing the Robin's under the bus when their relationship with Bruce clearly doesn't matter in this run?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    You're definitely not the only one. Wait until you actually read 78, it's ridiculously bad.
    Bad in the way we already expected from the preview or even worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    One problem is that King keeps using shock value moments, like Bruce hitting Tim, but then Bruce never thinks about it again. Why does King keep throwing the Robin's under the bus when their relationship with Bruce clearly doesn't matter in this run?
    Maybe he hates Robins?