Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: City of bane

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    Sorry, but a protagonist like Batman finally getting off his ass after how many issues of acting like a secondary character in his own book isn't payoff, just the end of a terrible narrative choice.
    C'mon, we all know who the real star of the book is at this point, Selina. Who cares about that Bruce guy. Catwoman will come up with a plan that puts Bane in his place no problem, while Batman stands around and tries to look menacing and cheers her on.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-10-2019 at 11:06 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Finally, at last, Batman has been put in his place by someone who actually cares about Gotham, someone who will keep dogs on a leash and prevent old ladies from speeding around. Someone who will solve murders better because, lets face it, who better understands a murderer than a murderer. Dexter taught us the way. And who better to fight fires than a firebug? After all, we all know that the real hero of Backdraft is Ronald. And last but not least, the new commissioner embraces the concept of justice efficiently and without all the nauseating baggage that comes with trying to solve complex moral dilemmas, while fighting cop corruption in the only way that's effective, by kicking it in the face.

Yes, Gotham can rest easy for the first time in decades, courtesy of the man, the myth, the legend - Bane.

This public service announcement was brought to you by ... Bane.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I would advice users to avoid spoilers of the current storyline or hide them since the OP hasn't read the comic yet and we don't know how much he knows about the story. If the OP doesn't care about spoilers, then it's fine, but until then, I think it's best to avoid them.

About the thread, I think it depends on why you jumped off the run in the first place. If you didn't like nor care about what King was doing back then, I don't see a reason to like it now. If there's another reason for you leaving the title back then, I recommend you to try City of Bane. I have been a big fan of it and I think so far is one of the best arcs King has done in the title

Hahaha....1) money 2) trying to grow up, cuz adults don't read comics

Honestly, I dont have much of an opinion on King, I never read his stuff. I stopped collecting after Batman 52 and then the short Joker/Riddler run (which still has yet to be read, to be honest)

Astonishing Member

Still like it better than Morrison.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I got so burnt out by this run that I ended up dropping it before even reaching City of Bane. Honestly, King had a pretty solid idea of having Bane try and break Bruce's mind this time, instead of his body. The problem was in the execution.The absolute ridiculousness that was Bane's plan (there's no fucking way he could have predicted/orchestrated every single thing that's happened to Bruce in this run. That's as believable as the Joker orchestrating Jason Todd's existence), the horrible filler segments, the even more horrible pacing, and putting the BatCat relationship on such a high pedestal that Bruce now can't seem to function without Selina (he's taken being left at the altar worse than the death of his own son).

Unlike Heroes in Crisis, I appreciate what King was trying to do here. And I was on board with it for a while (I didn't even mind Selina being able to floor Barry, Wallace, Wally, and Talia) but he's dragged out and over exaggerated Bruce's descent into madness so badly that I don't even really care enough to see how he gets out of it. The fact that this run was originally planned to be 100 issues was just so...unnecessary

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I got so burnt out by this run that I ended up dropping it before even reaching City of Bane. Honestly, King had a pretty solid idea of having Bane try and break Bruce's mind this time, instead of his body. The problem was in the execution.The absolute ridiculousness that was Bane's plan (there's no fucking way he could have predicted/orchestrated every single thing that's happened to Bruce in this run. That's as believable as the Joker orchestrating Jason Todd's existence), the horrible filler segments, the even more horrible pacing, and putting the BatCat relationship on such a high pedestal that Bruce now can't seem to function without Selina (he's taken being left at the altar worse than the death of his own son).

Unlike Heroes in Crisis, I appreciate what King was trying to do here. And I was on board with it for a while (I didn't even mind Selina being able to floor Barry, Wallace, Wally, and Talia) but he's dragged out and over exaggerated Bruce's descent into madness so badly that I don't even really care enough to see how he gets out of it. The fact that this run was originally planned to be 100 issues was just so...unnecessary
    I'd just like to say, King seemingly spelled out all of Bane's plan in The Fall and the Fallen. But seeming more and more that this description was from an unreliable narrator and that there may be more to it that what it currently appears.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I'd just like to say, King seemingly spelled out all of Bane's plan in The Fall and the Fallen. But seeming more and more that this description was from an unreliable narrator and that there may be more to it that what it currently appears.
    True, King being the narrator (in the meta sense) you can't get a more unreliable source than that. I suspect if he ever had a workable plan for this "ahem" storyline it has long since gone out the proverbial window.

The situation with King reminds me of Lost. When the network told the showrunners they could have six seasons rather than their proposed ten the showrunners did not change their plans so as to condense the story. The showrunners simply never bothered resolving the vast majority of mysteries and dangling plot points.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    True, King being the narrator (in the meta sense) you can't get a more unreliable source than that. I suspect if he ever had a workable plan for this "ahem" storyline it has long since gone out the proverbial window.

The situation with King reminds me of Lost. When the network told the showrunners they could have six seasons rather than their proposed ten the showrunners did not change their plans so as to condense the story. The showrunners simply never bothered resolving the vast majority of mysteries and dangling plot points.
    Say what you will about King's run, the padding, dialogue, etc., but one thing you can't say is that he hasn't had a long term plan that he's been sticking to.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.

Incredible Member

Has he though? A lot of **** just seems thrown in there and altered depending on how his fans react. I honestly dont think he has a clear idea how to end it still.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    Has he though? A lot of **** just seems thrown in there and altered depending on how his fans react. I honestly dont think he has a clear idea how to end it still.
    That's just flat out wrong.

Yeah, I never got the impression that King's been making this up as he goes. He definitely has a clear plan...which makes the fact that things have turned out this way all the scarier.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    C'mon, we all know who the real star of the book is at this point, Selina. Who cares about that Bruce guy. Catwoman will come up with a plan that puts Bane in his place no problem, while Batman stands around and tries to look menacing and cheers her on.
    Selina's been in 5 of the last 27 issues. And in two of those she appeared as a figment of Bruce's imagination.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Yeah, I never got the impression that King's been making this up as he goes. He definitely has a clear plan...which makes the fact that things have turned out this way all the scarier.
    Just because someone has a plan doesn't mean it's a good one.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I saw someone mention G Wilson, but have no source to back that up so take that with a grain of salt. Bendis is also a name being thrown around.
    Welp, there's $3.99 a month I just saved.

Fillers for life!