Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Default Wonder Woman #78 Preview

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/pr...nder-woman-78/

Cheetah isn't playing around here. The bracelets and the tiara get destroyed! The art is fantastic! This looks like another winner for Wilson!
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

The bracelets and the tiara get destroyed!
    Meh, that means nothing to me, since I don't think it's going to have any long-term consequence. I suppose I could take it like a tattered super-cape - a sign of a tough fight, and a nice visual, but not meaningful. The fight scene art is okay, but the pulling-out-of-the-water panel has a weird/extreme back arch that doesn't work me.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 09-09-2019 at 05:38 PM.

So....Diana ends up in a fight and, again, has to get help.

I just hope that that Wilson ends her run on a stronger note - I want to see Diana solve her own problems and win her own fights.

I do wonder if Diana's lasso or bracelets should actually break.

It'd have been more of an impressive fit for Cheetah if she got the sword on her own and if Wilson actually portrayed Diana as a powerhouse she's supposed to be in the previous arcs.

In agreement with ALL of the above, and I will add that Cheetah's dialogue sounds like more of the same.

The character seems to have no center. I can't look at one scene, with Cheetah in it, and instantly understand what she's about...why she's doing what she's doing. She's a one-noter, like Sabertooth, in that way. I can accept that, but, it's a bit of a letdown.

Does she want a bigger litter box? Another brand of catfood? What does she want, ..from Diana or anybody?

Maybe, GW can fix that on her way off.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-09-2019 at 09:43 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    It'd have been more of an impressive fit for Cheetah if she got the sword on her own and if Wilson actually portrayed Diana as a powerhouse she's supposed to be in the previous arcs.
    Imagine if Cheetah destroying it with her claws but DC will never let Wonder Woman or cheetah do anything cool unlike Superman or Flash

I thought the fight scene worked, but I agree that there was too little emotional buildup. Cheetah just up and appeared in the story, after being superpowered by Luthor.

Now, I can see the outlines of the coming story arc and how it includes Atlantiades, but instead of feeling natural now it might very well read up as forced.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

What does a werecat need with a magic island of half naked, immortal supermodels? Seriously...how does that make sense? She beats up the Queen, sits on her throne; then, what?

All the Cat Chow can eat? Endless supply of mice? Belly rubs?

Again, I can accept her, as WW's Sabertooth, if that's the best we can do. Otherwise, somebody in editorial should sit down, establish a sustainable motivation for this character ..and find the right writer to do a story.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    So....Diana ends up in a fight and, again, has to get help.

I just hope that that Wilson ends her run on a stronger note - I want to see Diana solve her own problems and win her own fights.

You do make a good point there especially considering that Diana needs help from one of Wilson's pet characters. Hopefully the final battle between Diana and Cheetah is won by Diana alone.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    You do make a good point there especially considering that Diana needs help from one of Wilson's pet characters. Hopefully the final battle between Diana and Cheetah is won by Diana alone.
    It looks like it's going to bleed into the Orlando run.
    If Wilson doesn't have Diana resolve the conflict on her own, I'm hoping Orlando will.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It looks like it's going to bleed into the Orlando run.
    If Wilson doesn't have Diana resolve the conflict on her own, I'm hoping Orlando will.

I have more faith in Orlando than I do Wilson even though her last few issues have been better than any of her previous ones. Orlando really seems to grasp what makes Diana great.

Destroying her bracelets just feels like a cheap attempt at making this fight feel more important than it otherwise would be. The same has been done with Cap's Shield. If Cheetah were well developed as a competent antagonist to Wonder Woman then maybe it would be impactful, but I'm just not feeling it. The Cheetah in this run did not have a presence until two issues ago, she just isn't built up as a huge villain. Yes, this run is essentially a sequel to Rucka's, but the Cheetah wasn't a major villain in that storyline either. What does the Cheetah symbolize? What does her struggle against WW represent?

The issue I have with destroying her bracelets too is it will obviously not last. I think Rucka did the same with her lasso, right? It got misplaced or something but she got it back. Either WW gets those items back at the end of the run or the next writer will have to pen a story where they WW goes on an adventure to get them reforged.

Also the tiara getting destroyed, I mean, who cares? Its not a weapon (anymore), or a magic item. I guess it has symbolic value, but much less than her bracelets. I'm surprised the tiara hasn't been removed from her costume yet.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 09-10-2019 at 04:03 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I think the problem with Cheetah is the lack of development of BarBara Minerva. She is the real monster, and it's not clear what she wants and how that puts her in a collision course, with Wonder Woman. We don't know what Bar Minerva wants ..or why?

I think the key to giving Cheetah's villainy weight ..is the development of Minerva. Cheetah is merely the tool or weapon that Bar uses to get what she wants.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I think the problem with Cheetah is the lack of development of BarBara Minerva. She is the real monster, and it's not clear what she wants and how that puts her in a collision course, with Wonder Woman. We don't know what Bar Minerva wants ..or why?

I think the key to giving Cheetah's villainy weight ..is the development of Minerva. Cheetah is merely the tool or weapon that Bar uses to get what she wants.
    She was already developed in Rucka's run, and her motivation was made clear. Wilson and Snyder may not always be doing the best job of running with it, but the basics are clear.

Cheetah is more of a burden to her that she is making the best out of. She was cursed, the New 52 take of her willingly becoming a monster was dumped. For the best probably, they never went anywhere with it.