Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Default New Suicide Squad series relaunched by Tom Taylor and Bruno Redondo

TASK FORCE X RETURNS IN A NEW SUICIDE SQUAD ONGOING SERIES

THIS DECEMBER

Bestselling INJUSTICE 2 Team of Writer Tom Taylor and Artist Bruno Redondo Reunite

for the Wildest Version of the Squad Yet

BURBANK, CA – (September 10, 2019) – The unlikeliest villains in the DC Universe are back in their grittiest incarnation yet as DC today announced plans for an all-new SUICIDE SQUAD ongoing series scheduled for December.

This new version of Task Force X is already full of changes, with new villains—any of whom could die on a mission or be dispatched by an all-new and mysterious leader who has replaced Amanda Waller. This

Squad’s new mission is to neutralize a new group of international super-terrorists known as the Revolutionaries—and not everyone on either side will make it out alive! But when the U.S. government’s most deniable team of antiheroes realizes that the surviving Revolutionaries will be joining the Squad, that’s when the fireworks really begin!

According to an exclusive interview with The Hollywood Reporter, writer Tom Taylor talks about just how much he’s raising the stakes in this new series: “Truly, no one is safe, there’s a new regime, and this regime sees this team as assets and nothing more. They don’t care if they lose them in the field, they can always get more, and they DO get more.”

When DC’s most desperate villains are combined with new inmates of Belle Reve that Task Force X has been trying to kill, who can Harley Quinn and Deadshot trust? These misfits not only have to worry about surviving their next mission, but each other as well.

“Bruno and I have been working together for around eight years and he’s one of my favorite artists in the world,” said Taylor. “We speak the same storytelling language and we have the same storytelling values. Getting to create all new characters with Bruno for DC is a bit of a dream.”

The 40-page, $4.99 debut issue of Suicide Squad is scheduled to release December 18, 2019, written by Tom Taylor with art by Bruno Redondo, cover by Ivan Reis and Joe Prado, and variant cover by Francesco Mattina. For the latest information on the World’s Greatest Super-Heroes, visit the DC website at www.dccomics.com, the DC YouTube channel, or follow @DCComics on social media.
    https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/0...or-and-redondo

Will the new leader be Wally West or whoever Leviathan turns out to be?
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

I enjoy Taylor's work and craziness and will check this out, but if "anything can happen" they should have left Harley Quinn and Deadshot out of the lineup.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

One good thing I can muster is that Taylor and Redondo are a fantastic team. I actually can tolerate Taylor's Harley. She was pretty good in the Injustce comics.

No Waller is wack and I'm so over Harley and Deadshot but they sell the team I guess. At least we may finally get a good SS book since Yale and Ostrander.

BANNED

I have to wonder who behind the scenes is so obsessed with the Suicide Squad. It seems DC never stops having a go at this property despite it never really taking off satisfactorily of late. Part of the problem is that I'm not sure DC understands the point and appeal of the 1980s series. They seem to use it as another avenue for pushing Harley Quinn, but she isn't even a character that would fit with the original model of the team.

This is pretty awesome! I’m a big fan of Taylor and I’m glad he’s getting another high profile book. Plus this lineup has some D list villains which is very reminiscent of Ostrander’s run. Freaking Zebra Man! Gail made Catman cool but this will be an even bigger challenge. Having these lesser known characters probably gives Taylor a ton of freedom. Still, I wish Bronze Tiger was included.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I enjoy Taylor's work and craziness and will check this out, but if "anything can happen" they should have left Harley Quinn and Deadshot out of the lineup.
    It would be cool if the team was just scrubs and it had the full “anyone can die at any moment” vibe, but at the end of the day they need to sell comics and Harley and Deadshot can bring in the casual fan.

Taylor on Suicide Squad is unexpected but he's probably the most inspired choice for the title since...man, Seeley? It's also probably the most high-profile book they've given him since Injustice.

Also glad they're going back to more obscure members rather then just the movie Squad. I see King Shark, Magpie right in front of him, The Cavalier, and Zebra Man. Of course Deadshot and Harley are still in it, especially since Harley is a favorite of Taylor (which somehow won't bother me for this).

Although I'm surprised they kept Deadshot and Harley but not Captain Boomerang. Where's Digger?

Also not crazy about Harley and Deadshot's redesigns. Did Harley cut her hair, or is it mostly taken up by those buns? Deadshot looks too much like The Fixer from Marvel. At least give him his mask back.

I wonder if a sub-plot of the book will be Waller trying to re-take control of the Squad.

Given how standard-issue all this seems, I'm guessing Bleeding Cool's reporting that there were plans for a Wally West SS written by Azzarello that fell apart were probably right on the money. As it stands, this doesn't seem like anything that would warrant a relaunch.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Taylor's proven to be a great writer, so this looks to be something I will absolutely be picking up.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Given how standard-issue all this seems, I'm guessing Bleeding Cool's reporting that there were plans for a Wally West SS written by Azzarello that fell apart were probably right on the money. As it stands, this doesn't seem like anything that would warrant a relaunch.
    A new movie coming out doesn’t warrant a relaunch?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Will the new leader be Wally West or whoever Leviathan turns out to be?
    If wally is going to be on it. I could see wally being done some justice atleast. It's better than what they are going to do with him in Flash forward,i believe.

Harley being in the book still just kills any real interest for me. I get it is for sales and the movie, but having the franchise revolve around Harley has ruined the entire concept of the book. Her being on this SS team and the BoP team book coming out kind of feels so redundant.
    Last edited by Badou; 09-09-2019 at 10:47 PM.

Zebra Man!
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

How many books is Harley up to now? There is Harley Quinn, Harley & Ivy, Harley Quinn Breaking Glass, Birds of Prey, Suicide Squad, White Knight, and I think one more I'm forgetting? She's hit that late 2000s Wolverine level of saturation.

Fantastic Member

Character is popular and has staying power in a slowly dying industry, therefore being promoted more. News @ 11.