Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Cast Wonder Woman through the ages

The idea is simple: Pick an actress to play Wonder Woman in each decade sense her creation.

Other characters are optional

That's really tough. I think Katharine Hepburn (sans the Mainline accent) would've made a perfect Golden Age Diana. I'm guessing Marston's characterization owed a lot to the types of roles Hepburn and others were playing in '40s.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

Extraordinary Member

I like Jane Russell as Diana

40's: Rita Hayworth (with her natural hair color)
    50's: Sophia Loren
    60's: Brigitte Bardot (??)
    70's: Lynda Carter duh
    80's: Linda Hamilton
    90's: Vanessa Williams
    00's: Priyanka Chopra (had actually been rumored for the Whedon film)
    10's: Gal Gadot is perfect IMO

I agree about Jane Russell. Jane Russell in the '40s, '50s and '60s. From black and white '40s movies (like the eras The Sign of the Cross (1932) ancient Rome style aspect, She (1935) magical secret land element, and like the military nurse in the war aspect in So Proudly We Hail! (1943)), to color '50s and '60s movies (like Roman Holiday (1953) romance element, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958), and Jason and the Argonauts (1963) Greek mythological magic and monsters element).
    I made art of some of my ideas.
    5662bef81196bb6a8808fc9a16ef7d06kkhgghghgf.jpg
    Lynda Carter in the '70s TV series, '80s and '90s film series. Like the original '60s Star Trek expanded from TV to big budget movies in the '70s, '80s and '90s, so Lynda's Wonder Woman could have been expanded to '80s and '90s films. Greek mythological Clash of the Titans (1981) type Ray Harryhausen sword and sorcery movies tapping into Wonder Woman’s Greek mythological background, like Wonder Woman: Challenge of the Gods by George Perez, etc. in the '80s comics had. Pegasus is part of Greek mythology, too.
    #PicMonkey Collagefgfghgfgfgf.jpg
    Tanit Phoenix '00s and '10s. The 2004 Wonder Woman script by Laeta Kalogridis could have been used. Laeta Kalogridis wrote a script, obviously based on Wonder Woman: Gods and Mortals by George Perez, that leaned heavily on the mythological roots but set in the present day. The big bad guy in the script was Ares/Mars, and it worked as a military adventure movie, too. It would have been a genuinely big movie in scale, and a rough-and-tumble action and sword and sorcery film. She (Laeta Kalogridis) was on the film project for all of 2004, and in 2005, producer Joel Silver moved on to the next writer. Tanit Phoenix didn't get the role for David E. Kelley's Wonder Woman, which I'm glad because that was awful and was even rejected by NBC. David E. Kelley chose Adrianne Palicki, he didn't want a Lynda Carter Wonder Woman type, he wanted an Ally McBeal type of show. As Danny Trejo noted about Tanit Phoenix, "Tanit [Phoenix]. She’s up for the role of Wonder Woman. If she doesn’t get it, they’re idiots. She’s perfect. She looks like Lynda Carter. But naturally Hollywood’s probably got some little bimbo they want. I even told her, 'God, you look like Lynda Carter.'" http://www.avclub.com/article/danny-trejo-40541
    #wwPicMonkey Collagegghgvfghg.jpg
    Wonder Woman can have a sword without darkening the character into Lucy Lawless' Xena: Warrior Princess (1995), Arnold Schwarzenegger's Conan the Barbarian (1982), Brigitte Nielsen's Red Sonja (1985) and Gerard Butler's King of Sparta Leonidas 300 (2007) type barbaric grunting battle-loving raging warrior with a battle cry. Authentic Wonder Woman is liken to Through the Looking-Glass Alice vs the Jabberwocky (1871), Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld (1983), She-Ra: Princess of Power (1985), the Barbie (Princess Annika) and the Magic of Pegasus (2005) movie. Her magical sword shouldn't be used to decapitate people, but she would slay a dragon and monsters. She's a peace loving, positive, uplifting princess reluctant to battle. Wonder Woman should be a positive hero to little girls again as she was created to be. Plus Pegasus would appeal to My Little Pony fans, too, so would DC's Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld and her flying winged unicorn horse Max. It's stupid that they haven't made Amethyst and Max toys for girls, either. I'd give Wonder Woman both the invisible plane and Pegasus. In Wonder Woman #128 (1962) "Origin of the Amazing Robot Plane", Wonder Woman has the flying winged horse Pegasus (reprinted in Showcase Presents: Wonder Woman #2 (2008)), long before Amethyst and She-Ra.
    Last edited by Steven Ely; 10-02-2016 at 10:20 AM.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

Retired

1940s
    • Princess Diana--Dorothy Lamour
    • Queen Hippolyte--Merle Oberon
    • Steve Trevor--Van Johnson
    • Etta Candy--Martha Ray
    • The Holliday Girls--the Goldwyn Girls

1950s
    • Princess Diana--Hedy LaMarr
    • Queen Hippolyta--Ginger Rogers
    • Steve Trevor--Kirk Douglas

1960s
    • Diana Prince--Sherry Jackson
    • Queen Hippolyta--Eva Gabor
    • I Ching--Philip Ahn
    • Donna Troy--Judy Strangis

1990s
    • Princess Diana--Jennifer Connelly
    • Queen Hippolyta--Gina Gershon
    • Artemis--Hudson Leick

1940's

WW HEDY LAMARR IN ZIEGFELD GIRL 1941.jpg
    Heddy Lamar

1950's

WW JAYNE RUSSELL.jpg
    Jayne Russell

1960's

WW RAQUEL.jpg
    Raquel Welch

1970's

WW lynda-carter-46.jpg
    Lynda Carter

1980's

KELLY LEBROCK.jpg
    Kelly Lebrock

1990's

WW CINDY CRAWFORD.jpg
    Cindy Crawford

2000's

adriana-lima-27-jpg.jpg
    Adriana Lima

2010's

Phoebe Tonkin.jpg
    Phobe Tonkin

Interesting supporting cast choices, Jim. We have Kirk Douglas and the Goldwyn Girls in common. I see you have even cast the 1968-1972 Denny O'Neil Kung Fu Diana Prince makeover and the 1995 William Messner-Loebs Artemis as grim 'n' gritty Wonder Woman event arc. I personally consider those stunts comics blunders for the character, liken to the 1974 Evel Knievel-esque Cathy Lee Crosby TV film, so I chose to ignore them in my castings. I did include the supporting cast from the long 1986-1992 George Perez run.

My picks for Wonder Woman supporting casts through the ages:

1940s-'60s:
    Steve Trevor: Kirk Douglas
    Etta Candy: Maxine Gates
    The Holiday Girls: Goldwyn Girls
    Queen Hippolyta: Claudette Colbert
    0000000000000aPicMonkey Collage.jpg

1980s-1990s:
    Steve Trevor: blonde Robert Redford (closer to the comics than Lyle Waggoner, a better actor, and looks close enough to Lyle Waggoner)
    Etta Candy: Nancy Parsons (she could be the '40s Etta Candy's daughter)
    The Holiday Girls: members of the Rockettes maybe
    Queen Hippolyta: Cher
    General John Thomas Hillary: J.A. Preston
    Julia Kapatelis: Helen Mirren
    Vanessa Kapatelis: Mayim Bialik
    Mindi Mayer: Carrie Fisher
    #PicMonkey Collagefgh.jpg

2000s-2010s:
    Steve Trevor: Alexander Skarsgard
    Etta Candy: Rebel Wilson
    The Holiday Girls: members of the Rockettes
    Queen Hippolyta: Cher (looks ageless)
    General John Thomas Hillary: J.A. Preston
    Julia Kapatelis: Helen Mirren
    Vanessa Kapatelis: Hallie Eisenberg
    Mindi Mayer: Christina Ricci
    #PicMonkey Collageffghgh.jpg
    Last edited by Steven Ely; 10-03-2016 at 07:31 PM.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

Here are my picks for Steve.

1940's

WW STEVE GARY COOPER.jpg
    Gary Cooper

1950's

WW STEVE PAUL NEWMAN.jpeg
    Paul Newman

1960's

WW STEVE MCQUEEN.jpg
    Steve Mcqueen

1970's

WW STEVE RYAN O'NEIL 2.jpg
    Ryan O'Neil

1980's

WW STEVE STING.jpg
    Sting

1990's

WW STEVE BRAD PITT.jpg
    Brad Pitt

2000's

WW STEVE JASON LEWIS.jpg
    Jason Lewis

2010's

WW STEVE trevor-donovan-2016.jpg
    Trevor Donovan

All of my choices were based on appearance and not acting ability or money. A lot of them wouldn't be affordable for a Wonder Woman film unless it had an amazingly high budget. Sorry for misspelling Hedy Lamarr.

This a fun thread! Haven't come up with my casts yet.

@Steven Ely: Cher? Really? LOL (Okay, no judgment.)
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Cher's not just a music legend, she is an Oscar winning actress.