Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Genndy Tartakovsky's PRIMAL

Last edited by GreenScar1990; 09-09-2019 at 10:05 PM.

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

Hunt. Kill. Survive.

October 7th. Midnight.

BANNED

BANNED

Genndy Tartakovsky’s ‘Primal’ Is Getting A Theatrical Run In Los Angeles

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-...es-179442.html

I'm a big Tartakovksy fan, since Dexter days, loved Samurai Jack but this concept just looks so boring to me. I like that he's being ambitious and making something different but this is just meh. Feels like they're going to play with sound design and audio a lot since the characters might not have much dialogue. I hope I'm wrong and hope that he is successful. Also kinda wish he did popeye.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    I'm a big Tartakovksy fan, since Dexter days, loved Samurai Jack but this concept just looks so boring to me. I like that he's being ambitious and making something different but this is just meh. Feels like they're going to play with sound design and audio a lot since the characters might not have much dialogue. I hope I'm wrong and hope that he is successful. Also kinda wish he did popeye.
    Really? I'm pretty stoked for this concept, I mean, it's freaking cavemen and dinosaurs, I love that stuff! It's basically like The Lost World by the guy who did Samurai Jack, the action will be amazing!

BANNED

Adult Swim's Primal Tells a Prehistoric Story of Survival - IGN First

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09...y-samurai-jack

Today we're looking at Primal, the latest animated project from Samurai Jack and Dexter's Laboratory creator Genndy Tartakovsky. Primal is a major departure from Tartakovsky's previous work in more ways than one. It's a prehistoric fantasy series where a caveman and a dinosaur band together to survive. It's also completely dialogue-free. We were able to chat with Tartakovsky recently to learn more about Primal's unique brand of visceral storytelling.

As different as Primal is in terms of plot, tone and subject matter, it's also a series that should be instantly recognizable to fans of Tartakovsy's previous Cartoon Network projects. His distinctive character designs and haunting environments couldn't be mistaken for the work of any other animator.

Tartakovsky told us his approach to animating Primal doesn't differ wildly from that of Dexter's Laboratory or Samurai Jack. The main difference, he explained, is that the animation itself is done digitally through TV Paint rather than on actual paper, which helps speed up the overall process.

"At the end of the day it’s still completely traditional animation," Tartakovsky said. "As far as my approach, it’s always pretty much has been the same; I’ve just been trying to improve with each episode, project, etc. I’ve spent the last 25 years or so trying to find my point of view and refining it and with Primal it feels like it has come together in the strongest way possible."

We were curious how much the switch to Cartoon Network's Adult Swim brand has changed Tartakovsky's process; is there a greater freedom that comes with the Adult Swim name, beyond superficial elements like violence? Tartakovsky told us storytelling freedom has never really been an issue at Cartoon Network, even in the days of Dexter's Lab.

"I have been very fortunate for the most part of my career when it comes to support and trust," he said. "The very first episode of Dexter's Lab was greenlit and overseen by Mike Lazzo who was back then the head of programming at Cartoon Network in its very beginnings and now he is my boss for Primal. It makes things very easy when the people you are working for have trust and believe in you and actually really like and respect your work. Of course, during my Cartoon Network years we were making shows for kids so there is a built-in system of things you can do and not do, but we definitely pushed stories and the way we told them, even the early days of Dexter."

Tartakovsky continued, "The more stories you tell the better you begin to understand what you’re doing, and at the same time, story is something that I don’t think you can ever master or reduce to a formula. It’s something that I learned that comes from the gut. The more you do, the more confidence you get but it’s very complex and sometimes very elusive. So when doing something adult we are free to do something more complex and sophisticated."

Silence is one of the real hallmarks of Samurai Jack. It's the rare animated series to place a real value on silent scenes, allowing imagery to tell a story in place of words. Tartakovsky told us that while he didn't necessarily enter into Primal with the intention of challenging himself to tell a completely dialogue-free story, that approach was just "natural."

"After the success of the last season of Samurai Jack I noticed people really responded to the silent sequences. We’ve always done them and they always stand out," Tartakovsky said. "When developing this show it was natural to not have dialogue as a caveman and dinosaur don’t naturally speak, and with the added success of Jack it came to me that could we actually make a show made of just those sequences."

When asked about his particular cinematic influences, Tartakovsky said, "My love of visual sequences stems from live-action films like Sergio Leone westerns, Kurosawa, some 70’s action films, Tex Avery, and my general love of animated movement. In some ways I don’t think of it as being dialogue-free, but we are trying to tell these stories in the most visceral way we can, and because our main characters can’t technically speak English we have to find new ways to emote."

Primal may not feature any traditional dialogue, but it does star two characters with names and clear needs and desires. The relationship they form is very much at the heart of the series. "We call the caveman SPEAR and the T-Rex FANG," Tartakovsky said. "Their bond is really a man and animal relationship in this brutal primordial world. It’s their relationship that really is the key to the show's success I think. Early in my career I realized that accessible character relationships [are] the true sign of a successful show and so for Primal I wanted to explore the relationship between man and beast on the most primal level. Even our human is almost a beast himself. A similar horrific tragedy binds these two unlikely characters and they have to learn to rely on each other to survive.

Tartakovsky acknowledged that Primal doesn't exactly follow documented history, as the last dinosaurs died out tens of millions of years before early man came along. He said, "Even though we try to keep some of the creatures historically accurate, this really isn’t a realistic prehistoric land, but rather a fantastically brutal and horrific prehistoric land. The main focus was to have it feel pulpy. The fun of historic beasts fighting beasts from our imagination was the goal, and when you keep some things historically accurate, it gives more substance to the made-up things."

Finally, Tartakovsky revealed that his plans for Primal have grown significantly with time. Initially, he conceived it as a short film before deciding the main characters and their relationship were better suited for a longer series. Initially, Adult Swim will be debuting Primal as a five-part miniseries airing over the course of a single week, but it sounds as though we can look forward to even more stories in this prehistoric world.

"We actually have ten stories that we are currently working on and the world is getting bigger with each one," teased Tartakovsky. "The show is extremely difficult and we didn’t want to rush through it, so it’s taking us much longer than a normal TV production that we’ve done in the past. I’ve done over 25 years of television and to me this isn’t television, it’s something so much more than what those words are connected to, especially in animation. It is a big world and our characters are just discovering it for themselves - where it is heading is freaking nuts! We are trying in some ways to push convention with this subject matter and give the audience something they haven’t seen before."

Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal debuts on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block on Monday, October 7 at 12am EST/PST, with new episodes following every night that week through October 11.

Last edited by GreenScar1990; 09-20-2019 at 08:25 PM.

BANNED

BANNED

Genndy at his most Primal: Samurai Jack creator returns with a grisly new show

https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/26/primal-genndy-tartakovsky/

BANNED

Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal - Reviews

Birth. Movies. Death. - Fantastic Fest

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/09...stone-age-saga

TvWeb

https://tvweb.com/primal-series-revi...y-tartakovsky/

BANNED

Primal - First Look With Genndy Tartakovsky | SYFY WIRE

BANNED

Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal - Episode 1: Spear and Fang

The first episode of Genndy Tartakovsky's PRIMAL is now available to stream/watch on the Adult Swim website and the Adult Swim app. I've watched it several times. It's beautiful, poignant, brutal, fast-paced, action-packed, emotional, heartbreaking masterpiece and one of the absolute best things I've watched in a very long time. I firmly believe this series will go down to become one of the all-time greatest animated sagas.

https://www.adultswim.com/videos/primal/spear-and-fang

Last edited by GreenScar1990; 10-05-2019 at 09:05 PM.

Streamed the first show. Beautifully animated, but man, was that brutal.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!