Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Mark Bright is a prolific Green Lantern artist of the late 80s and early 90s. He's notable for doing the Emerald Dawn 1 and 2 series, and a huge amount of Green Lantern Volume 3 before Daryl Banks (also a black man) became the main artist. I would actually say that throughout the 90s, the most influential artists on Green Lantern were black. Not something I've considered before now, but there it is.
    a lot of that era of Green Lanterns (with some few exceptions) never really grabbed me visual, the older vintage feeling styles have never been my cup of tea
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Screenshot_20190914-031217_Chrome.jpg

FAR SECTOR #2
    written by N.K. JEMISIN
    art and cover by JAMAL CAMPBELL
    Rookie Green Lantern Sojourner “Jo” Mullein’s investigation of the first murder in 500 years hits a snag when the murderer is murdered. Whatever’s going on, it’s something to do with Switchoff, a highly illegal genetic cocktail that restores dangerous feelings to the emotionless citizens of the City Enduring...
    ON SALE 12.11.19
    $3.99 US | 2 OF 12 | 32 PAGES
    FC | DC BLACK LABEL

Screenshot_20190912-194127_Twitter.jpg

I'm always glad at the praise Jamal Campbell gets even from his own collaborators.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Screenshot_20190914-031217_Chrome.jpg

FAR SECTOR #2
    written by N.K. JEMISIN
    art and cover by JAMAL CAMPBELL
    Rookie Green Lantern Sojourner “Jo” Mullein’s investigation of the first murder in 500 years hits a snag when the murderer is murdered. Whatever’s going on, it’s something to do with Switchoff, a highly illegal genetic cocktail that restores dangerous feelings to the emotionless citizens of the City Enduring...
    ON SALE 12.11.19
    $3.99 US | 2 OF 12 | 32 PAGES
    FC | DC BLACK LABEL
    I find the John Stewart Funko-pop adorable XD !

It is adorable, I appreciate Campbell showcasing Vixen too with the Mari posters.

Incredible Member

Is there any galactic stories must be done with a human lead and cannot hold with an alien instead?
    Last edited by HAN9000; 09-14-2019 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Is there any galactic stories must be done with a human lead and cannot hold with an alien instead?
    any story can be done with an alien character but "alien protagonists don't sell" "people can't relate to them" much like how "characters of color just aren't relatable to wider audiences" aka "we lack the creativity or the incentive to write a story about x kind of characters, so let's just say they're unrelatable"
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    any story can be done with an alien character but "alien protagonists don't sell" "people can't relate to them" much like how "characters of color just aren't relatable to wider audiences" aka "we lack the creativity or the incentive to write a story about x kind of characters, so let's just say they're unrelatable"
    And in any case, aliens are often just humans with funny hairs/ears/eyes anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Which is kind of funny since judging by the cover Jo seems to only relate to characters who look like her.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Which is kind of funny since judging by the cover Jo seems to only relate to characters who look like her.
    How does having a funko and a poster showcasing black characters mean Jo only relates to them...

This the type of comment that makes it obvious why McDuffie even coined the term "rule of 3".
    Last edited by kurenai24; 09-28-2019 at 12:20 AM.

A New Interview from NK Jemisin.

Some people are gonna roll their eyes at some things ...oh well.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 09-28-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

A New Interview from NK Jemisin.

Some people are gonna roll their eyes at some things ...oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by NK Jemisin
    I don’t hate the police or anything like that. I want to make that point clear. The reason I reached out to the NYPD was because I wanted to get their take on some stuff I had heard from actual employees, and I wanted to know, “What’s the reasoning behind this? The NYPD is an organization, and there’s some rationale I’m not getting.” And again: I got no response from them. Jo still genuinely wants to be a good cop. How would she then work through her own feelings of complicity, because she was part of an organization who did some shitty stuff? What does justice mean in this context?
    It's a shame this comes so late in the interview because a lot of idiots are going to stop at her mentioning the Black Lives Matter movement and I feel this really affirms she's not just going to strawman the entire argument.

Of all the next wave of Young Animal, this book is the one I'm most excited for, and not just for the sublime artwork. The devil's in the details and obviously execution is key here, but there's real potential for this book to be something special.
    Last edited by Robanker; 09-28-2019 at 12:37 AM.

How does having a funko and a poster showcasing black characters mean Jo only relates to them...

This the type of comment that makes it obvious why McDuffie even coined the term "rule of 3".
    Whatever she's reading also has "Black Fanfic" on the headline, so "blackness" clearly seem to be a reoccurring theme on this cover, which does seem to correlate to the "relatability" aspect that was previously brought up. In any event I recognize I should've worded my comment in a different way.

Not sure what you're specifically referring to, but McDuffie is dearly missed.

Whatever she's reading also has "Black Fanfic" on the headline, so "blackness" clearly seem to be a reoccurring theme on this cover, which does seem to correlate to the "relatability" aspect that was previously brought up. In any event I recognize I should've worded my comment in a different way.

Not sure what you're specifically referring to, but McDuffie is dearly missed.
    they're referring to an observation McDuffie (R.I.P and blest be his name) made about the comics industry where when there are more than 2 black characters (3 or more) in a book it's suddenly a "black book" and the "average" [read:white] comic fan [which would likely extend to the LCS] "can't relate to it" or simply don't care to pick it up.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-28-2019 at 08:27 AM.

currently following:

Context is everything. When a culture had been systematically decimated for over a hundred years, treated less than human and simply not allowed to have icons or heroes that looked like themselves, then marginalized and demonized if not shut out of mainstream culture, then maybe your example does not truly correlate to what lemonpeace is talking about.