Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Far Sector Appreciation 2019

N.K. Jemisin, the acclaimed, award-winning author of The Broken Earth and Inheritance science fiction trilogies, makes her comic book debut with bestselling Naomi artist Jamal Campbell as they thrust you into a stunning sci-fi murder mystery on the other side of the universe!

Screenshot_20190910-071225_Readler.jpg

Solicitation: For the past six months, newly chosen Green Lantern Sojourner “Jo” Mullein has been protecting the City Enduring, a massive metropolis of 20 billion people. The city has maintained peace for over 500 years by stripping its citizens of their ability to feel. As a result, violent crime is virtually unheard of, and murder is nonexistent, but that’s all about to change in this new maxiseries that gives a DC Young Animal spin to the legacy of the Green Lanterns!

Screenshot_20190910-071254_Readler.jpg

If you haven't seen it: First interview from NK Jemisin about this comic with EW.

20190910_074849.jpg

Note: This is an appreciation thread, let's not derail it with comments about how there is too many Green Lanterns and/or too many earth lanterns; threads for those topics already exist.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    N.K. Jemisin, the acclaimed, award-winning author of The Broken Earth and Inheritance science fiction trilogies, makes her comic book debut with bestselling Naomi artist Jamal Campbell as they thrust you into a stunning sci-fi murder mystery on the other side of the universe!

Screenshot_20190910-071225_Readler.jpg

Solicitation: For the past six months, newly chosen Green Lantern Sojourner “Jo” Mullein has been protecting the City Enduring, a massive metropolis of 20 billion people. The city has maintained peace for over 500 years by stripping its citizens of their ability to feel. As a result, violent crime is virtually unheard of, and murder is nonexistent, but that’s all about to change in this new maxiseries that gives a DC Young Animal spin to the legacy of the Green Lanterns!

Screenshot_20190910-071254_Readler.jpg

If you haven't seen it: First interview from NK Jemisin about this comic with EW.

20190910_074849.jpg

Note: This is an appreciation thread, let's not derail it with comments about how there is too many Green Lanterns and/or too many earth lanterns; threads for those topics already exist.
    Re: the third image. Will there be a crossover between this and Naomi or is it just fan art?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Re: the third image. Will there be a crossover between this and Naomi or is it just fan art?
    It's just fan art Jamal did.

It's a good thing Jamal Campbell don't draw too much, because otherwise I would go broke.

I'm so pumped up for this. I can't wait to get my hand on this series !

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    It's just fan art Jamal did.
    Thank you.

10 chars.

I'm so hyped for this book! I think this is the first black drawn and written Lantern book (at least the first big one that I know of) AND they're both top-tier talent! this is about to be my first physical trade.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'm so hyped for this book! I think this is the first black drawn and written Lantern book (at least the first big one that I know of) AND they're both top-tier talent! this is about to be my first physical trade.
    Nah. Christopher Priest and Mark Bright worked on Green Lantern back in the late 80s. Priest was using the name James Owsley at the time.

I had never heard of N.K. Jemisin before... I really need to step up my work on Fantasy novels, damn it ! Because the synopsis for her Broken Earth sounds crazily interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I had never heard of N.K. Jemisin before... I really need to step up my work on Fantasy novels, damn it ! Because the synopsis for her Broken Earth sounds crazily interesting.
    The research and the detail in that trilogy, and just the overall world building ...whew, that series or rather the first book is being worked on for live action on FX, and the series as a whole is being turned into an RPG game.

We can expect that same world building for Far Sector, but I am curious how her writing is gonna translate to comics, is her characters gonna be the same multi-layered/nuanced/3 dimensional written beings she's known for or is the method of writing comics gonna trip her up. I have faith tho.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Never read Jemisin's fantasy novels. I keep putting them off for some reason. Might finally take the dip.

Thanks for starting this - that interview definitely has me intrigued and I appreciate that Jemisin really learned about the GLC even though I'm sure she was given a lot of leeway in terms of what she wanted to do with it. That second profile image really looks like Larry Stroman to me, but I'm not that familiar with Campbell.

And Janelle Monae as a GL? I can dig it. (I buy her less as NYPD though - maybe a rookie...)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Never read Jemisin's fantasy novels. I keep putting them off for some reason. Might finally take the dip.
    They're really great. The duology (Killing Moon and Shadowed Sun) is probably her weakest work and it's still pretty awesome. Her work is definitely not cookie cutter (swords and sorcery) fantasy - the stories take unexpected turns, approach topics in different ways, etc. The Inheritance Trilogy is probably the best place to start - each book is a complete story, so you don't need to have book two sitting right next to book one to find out how the story ends.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Nah. Christopher Priest and Mark Bright worked on Green Lantern back in the late 80s. Priest was using the name James Owsley at the time.

I keep forgetting about Preist on Green Lantern, never heard of Mark Bright (however his style doesn't particularly grab me).
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I keep forgetting about Preist on Green Lantern, never heard of Mark Bright (however his style doesn't particularly grab me).
    Mark Bright is a prolific Green Lantern artist of the late 80s and early 90s. He's notable for doing the Emerald Dawn 1 and 2 series, and a huge amount of Green Lantern Volume 3 before Daryl Banks (also a black man) became the main artist. I would actually say that throughout the 90s, the most influential artists on Green Lantern were black. Not something I've considered before now, but there it is.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 09-10-2019 at 10:36 AM.