Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Jo is sassy, I like this...

It’s Legacy, yet different...
    #MagnetoWasRight

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Someone on reddit said:

spoilers:
    "The idea that all the emotion we see is just 'communication' but none of them actually have emotions is just cool".

So I think I am interpreting this correctly, the emotive reactions are just another form of communication but it doesn't mean that's how these aliens feel, if their faces are contorted into anger, it doesn't mean that they're angry but that what you did or said was wrong.

It's like these 3 aliens species are playing charades or acting, but I still expect a twist.
    end of spoilers
    I'm late to this discussion but my reaction when coming upon this in the story is that this is primarily a practical solution to aid storytelling.

spoilers:
    In world it would make sense that emotionless would mean a flat affect - no facial expressions of emotion. Vulcan-like, but without those flashes of emotion Spock shows. But Jamal has to illustrate this thing. As soon as I saw this idea introduced into the comic, this is what I immediately thought. It's a storytelling choice. Having everyone just stare blankly is going to limit Jamal's choices severely. Comics have to convey a lot compactly and in a static way, and with very few words (not much room for dialog balloons). Take away facial expressions, and limit the number of words, and just how does this story get told well? And also - Vulcans are kind of ridiculous and everyone makes fun of their submerging of emotion.
    end of spoilers

Rereading issue 1, i liked when Jo accidentally creates an alien sitting in the chair.

I just thought it was a cute gag.

I liked the character and setup, but the script was iffy for me. So many comas that I keep pausing and it disrupts the reading flow.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/indie-...-green-lantern

SyfyWire interview with Jemisin and Campbell.

Far Sector #1 is 40th on the November sales chart. We’ll get the number sold to retailers in North America tomorrow.

I'm hoping Janelle Monae plays her in a future movie. .

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

In just it's second issue Jemisin's Far Sector continues to be possibly the best Green Lantern story ever written. Through meaningful and intimate character interactions the mystery and world building going on feel so lush and natural. It would be easy to pile on the details in giving readers a new alien world to explore but instead Jemisin exposes us slowly to it all through three distinct interactions with different supporting characters of differeing races that each have their own different tones which not only creates a compelling read but also gives you the needed time to digest it all and get a real feel for the world with out being overwhelmed. And coupled with it's police procedural feel it makes for the Green Lantern story I've always wanted. Hands down, this is the best comic out there right now.

And on the art side, as amazing as Campbell's alien city-scapes and sci-fi character renderings are(and they truly stunning!) where he really gets to shine in this issue is through the quieter moments of conversation this issue has. Not only does he give each species presented their own look but through the intimate encounters he gets to illustrate how they emote through facial expressions and body language and thrillingly each race does so in ways that are incredibly unique but also clear to the reader. I truly can't get enough.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Having just finished the second issue, this is a comics unicorn for me. Two entertaining issues in a row from a Green Lantern comic. It's so great to not have the interesting space-cop aspects of the franchise drowned out by nonsense with the Corps. I'm getting to know the lead character, the world she's on, and a compelling mystery is taking shape. Not to mention the fantastic art from Campbell, normally I would have been agitated by the presence of a two-page spread devoted to dancing but it worked.

Damn, this is a lovely book and I'll be disappointed when it ends (but looking forward to future comics from Jemisin).
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Spectacular Member

How did it take me till almost the end of this issue to realize that the species with wings have way more than 10 fingers. I had to back to the beginning of the issue just to make sure.

I've been sick so I'll use that as an excuse for why I almost forgot about a new issue coming out and haven't been keeping up with interviews.

Which btw there is an interview in the Washington Post and a little interview from DC daily or whatever back from when the first issue came out.

And speaking of coming out, spoilers:
    Jo is bisexual, my girl just got here and she already got some and has another willing participant ...I made it sound more sexual than it was but you know what I mean.

I like the steady stream of information being provided to us, in issue 1 we got a basic backstory on these species relationship, and issue 2, we got some more information specifically on the plant species while in the background as well in the foreground the mystery is slowly being built up. I like that this comic can take it's time and build up relationships, inform readers of the history, while telling the central story.
    end of spoilers

To the poster who mentioned Spock and Vulcans in relationship to this whole emotion thing, I agree that it's very much like that and probably how we'll have to rationalize their reactions to things spoilers:
    and in this issue we learned that these people's emotions aren't gone that they're just muted and that they can feel traces of it.

Also I know that inner monologue is not really a thing we see a lot of in American comics but I enjoy getting Jo's commentary on things, it adds perspective to so many of her interactions and it even further highlights that the poor thing is not good with heights to the point it breaks her concentration.

And of course the art is just beautiful, I love everything about it, I have no negatives about it.
    end of spoilers

I read the new issue and i liked it alot. If done well, a new character can make an icon feel fresh. Jo's presence and the setting does that for Green Lantern.

I'm not sure i want her outside of Young animal but 5G's could learn a thing or two from Far Sector.

One of the best books out there, with JLO notably. So far I feel so spoiled on the cosmic corner of DC with it, LoSH and JLO !