Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Campbell is killing it on art duty.

So far, the story seems really interesting and even Jo is endearing after just one issue.

However, I find that the author is doing a disservice to her story regarding one point of this world :

spoilers:
    The inhabitants of the City Enduring are supposed to feel nothing, but you absolutely don't feel -eh- it here. They're supposed to be taking a drug suppressing their emotions totally but they are so strong that they are still very emotional... That's just strange to me. I think instead of a drug making them emotionless, it would have been better to state that it just dulled their emotions. As it is, I find it jarring to have such expressive characters and being told that they feel nothing. It's especially sad because Jo doesn't feel so special, in fact she almost comes out as the less emotive of the whole lot.
    end of spoilers

Otherwise, it's spot on!
    This particular part:

spoilers:
    "Facial expressions and body language are just how people communicate, but they don't mean the same thing here as I'm used to."

Makes it sound like these 3 species are now just expressive beings without actually feeling anything, basically instinctually it's like their bodies knows how they should react physically and maybe even vocally but they emotionally feel nothing when they do so, which I think explains the "they don't mean the same thing here as I'm used to" b/c if these 3 species weren't physically expressive that last bit in the quote wouldn't make sense; instead Jo would probably have said "Facial expressions and body language are just how people communicate, except here, aside from me, no one here feels a thing."

Also, idk, maybe the medicine just doesn't work that well ...or maybe there's a twist to this.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by kurenai24; 11-13-2019 at 10:52 AM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

It's been one issue, and I have a new favorite Green Lantern.

Some little tidbits of characterization here, like the chair scene, just made me love her instantly.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Mighty Member

So glad to get Green Lantern content that doesn't center around Hal. I'm more invested in than whatever Morrison is trying to do.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Bought this on a whim, I think this may very well be the first Green Lantern comic I actually liked. Just a cool space cop in an interesting location without any of the Corps nonsense interrupting the flow. I may very well be back for the second issue.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    This particular part:

spoilers:
    "Facial expressions and body language are just how people communicate, but they don't mean the same thing here as I'm used to."

Makes it sound like these 3 species are now just expressive beings without actually feeling anything, basically instinctually it's like their bodies knows how they should react physically and maybe even vocally but they emotionally feel nothing when they do so, which I think explains the "they don't mean the same thing here as I'm used to" b/c if these 3 species weren't physically expressive that last bit in the quote wouldn't make sense; instead Jo would probably have said "Facial expressions and body language are just how people communicate, except here, aside from me, no one here feels a thing."

Also, idk, maybe the medicine just doesn't work that well ...or maybe there's a twist to this.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I see I’m not the only one thrown by this. I’m also wondering if there’s a twist. Facial expressions and body language are nonverbal. And clearly we saw verbal displays of emotion. Shock. Worry. Nervousness. Irritability. Disdain. Anger. Pride. Surprise.
    end of spoilers

Anyway, really enjoyed the first issue. Looking forward to #2.

Someone on reddit said:

spoilers:
    "The idea that all the emotion we see is just 'communication' but none of them actually have emotions is just cool".

So I think I am interpreting this correctly, the emotive reactions are just another form of communication but it doesn't mean that's how these aliens feel, if their faces are contorted into anger, it doesn't mean that they're angry but that what you did or said was wrong.

It's like these 3 aliens species are playing charades or acting, but I still expect a twist.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by kurenai24; 11-14-2019 at 01:10 AM.

Someone on reddit said:

spoilers:
    "The idea that all the emotion we see is just 'communication' but none of them actually have emotions is just cool".

So I think I am interpreting this correctly, the emotive reactions are just another form of communication but it doesn't mean that's how these aliens feel, if their faces are contorted into anger, it doesn't mean that they're angry but that what you did or said was wrong.

It's like these 3 aliens species are playing charades or acting, but I still expect a twist.
    end of spoilers
    I won't lie, I find this "idea" extremely weak and unsatisfying.

spoilers:
    Would you react as if you were deeply offended by some terms if you couldn't feel anything ? Hell, why would you feel the need to not use some slurs and insults if you think that they apply and won't hurt anyone ? Or why would you think to even use them, if you can't feel anything toward those peoples, neither fear nor hate nor contempt ?

If we had no emotions at all, if we just knew, deep down, that it's insulting and prejudiced but without the possibility to feel about it, I don't think we would react that way. Those peoples, if they truly are suppressing their emotions, should all be as cold as robots. No fear, no joy, no nothing. Just drones, really. For me, that's a structural weakness of the book and I hope it'll be dealt with sooner rather than later. It doesn't make sense that, after centuries repressing their emotions that way, they'd act as if they still had them.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I won't lie, I find this "idea" extremely weak and unsatisfying.

spoilers:
    Would you react as if you were deeply offended by some terms if you couldn't feel anything ? Hell, why would you feel the need to not use some slurs and insults if you think that they apply and won't hurt anyone ? Or why would you think to even use them, if you can't feel anything toward those peoples, neither fear nor hate nor contempt ?

If we had no emotions at all, if we just knew, deep down, that it's insulting and prejudiced but without the possibility to feel about it, I don't think we would react that way. Those peoples, if they truly are suppressing their emotions, should all be as cold as robots. No fear, no joy, no nothing. Just drones, really. For me, that's a structural weakness of the book and I hope it'll be dealt with sooner rather than later. It doesn't make sense that, after centuries repressing their emotions that way, they'd act as if they still had them.
    end of spoilers
    Yes, I would still react tbh, spoilers:
    I've done so for things that have not personally effected me and I've done it not b/c I was feeling indignation on behalf of others, but b/c it was just a matter of knowing what was right and what was wrong.

Not having emotions doesn't mean you don't know what's right and wrong and it doesn't mean that rules don't apply nor does it mean your actions don't have consequences ...hell they probably don't even know if they can be triggered to the point of cancelling the medicine which is why they have rules, but going by your black and white interpretation of what it means to not have emotions, we essentially wouldn't have a story.

Using hunger as an example for your interpretation, why do they eat, they can't feel that they're hungry, even if they were put on a schedule to do so, why would they care to follow it, why would they care to procreate, why would they care about doing their jobs, how do you have a society like this when it's very obvious that they would be dead b/c being sentient or having instinct is emotion when it comes down to it.

With this type of black and white view, these types of "no emotions" stories can't work, which is why leeway has to be given so that the creator's rules for this world can be applied. Now I can't help or explain away you feeling like the rules of this world are weak b/c I particularly am fine with the idea of their body language and voice pitches being another form of communication like an animal's without them actually feeling those complex emotions ...like animal. So I hope your pros will outweigh the cons in the enjoyment department.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by kurenai24; 11-14-2019 at 03:46 AM.

Last edited by kurenai24; 11-14-2019 at 02:07 AM.

spoilers:
    I'm very much enjoying the book and I suspect I'll love the series down the line. But for me, those people feel emotions, they are just dulled. Animals feels those too, and hunger is a physiological response of the body. Even without emotion, you'd eat, I suspect. I just can't buy into the whole "they feel nothing but still behave as if they did". It's a little too After Earth for me or Equilibrium, where the main antagonist is supposed to feel nothing but always behave like an over the top angry dude. That's why it's a tricky concept that I'm not too fond off personally, because it's extremely ahrd to make compelling characters if they feel nothing.
    end of spoilers

Damn it it looks stunning.

And that Matrix reference. I'm digging it !
    Last edited by Korath; 11-14-2019 at 02:09 AM.

I read the first issue and dug it alot. I can't wait to read the rest.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Really sold on this character already. Jo's voice and attitude was very good right off the bat. Love her design too.

It’s nice to be able to read green lantern again! Great story and crazy good art. A GL finally doing what they ought to have been doing all along.

Honestly I'm not in love with it just yet, I like Jo she a good attitude. I like the lone detective setting and the art is amazing, what I need more time with is the planet and the aliens on it. It didn't really grab me right away but it is only the 1st issue so they have time.

On an unrelated note I love her hairstyle, it reminds me of Janelle Monae.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    On an unrelated note I love her hairstyle, it reminds me of Janelle Monae.
    Yes - the author has stated she was the inspiration for Jo's look.