Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Event Leviathan issue #4 Preview

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

I'm willing to give it a fair shake but I'm getting naive farmboy vibes from this. The strangest thing to me with modern Superman is how is he suppose to both be a naive farmboy and an experienced hero? Doesn't really make any sense.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I'm willing to give it a fair shake but I'm getting naive farmboy vibes from this. The strangest thing to me with modern Superman is how is he suppose to both be a naive farmboy and an experienced hero? Doesn't really make any sense.
    I don’t really get that vibe, but if it’s any consolation, Batman and friends got beat up by Jason Todd last issue, so if Superman has to job here I’m ok with it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I don’t really get that vibe, but if it’s any consolation, Batman and friends got beat up by Jason Todd last issue, so if Superman has to job here I’m ok with it lol.
    Bruce and Damian were more temporarily distracted then taken out (getting caught in their capes thanks to Jason). The rest... Jason is highly trained. Not just from his Robin days, but also from the League of Shadows/Assassins and the All-Caste (even older order of assassins, but good guys). Bendis didn't job Jason, which I give him credit for. Well, in fighting. The lead up to it though is about as weak as can be though.

AND WHERE IS KATE SPENCER'S KID!?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It's mainly the way he seemed to handle the situation. Very reactively and meek, even Lois sort of points it out as asinine handling of the situation.

As for the the Jason Todd thing, modern comic writing tends to prop up bad boy characters hence the Batman beating Superman phenomenon. American handling of power level dynamics and fight scene choreography is too mediocre and embarrassing to really be fussed about it though. When I want to read a story where combat is central to the story I stick to Japanese stuff.
    Last edited by The World; 09-10-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

It started as a joke but at this rate I could see this being an alternate version of Superman. Flowing red cape, is going out of his way to not harm anyone, doesn't want conflict with Superman but it looks like he holds his own against him here when things get physical.

I mean, that by no means narrows it down and I'm not outright predicting it, just that it could fit at this stage.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    It's mainly the way he seemed to handle the situation. Very reactively and meek, even Lois sort of points it out as asinine handling of the situation.

As for the the Jason Todd thing, modern comic writing tends to prop up bad boy characters hence the Batman beating Superman phenomenon. American handling of power level dynamics and fight scene choreography is too mediocre and embarrassing to really be fussed about it though. When I want to read a story where combat is central to the story I stick to Japanese stuff.
    I don't read it that way either. It's similar to the way Bendis had him confront the Red Cloud. It's not weakness and generally he's reacting from a position of almost absolute strength. I'm assuming something on the next pages indicates they had something he wasn't prepared for though. Again, it's not mean in the sense that he's unsure he can handle them so wants to try to talk it out. The opposite really.

Lois' reaction read as snark is fair, though I don't necessarily think Bendis intends it to be that way.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Anyone else notice the pretty real power creep that Bendis brought with him onto Superman?

Like, now Clark can apparently hear on a global scale. Put that into perspective of how most other writers usually show him to only be able to hear for about the range of a city or a country. I also find it really freakin cool that Clark can "program" his hearing on that scale to filter for those words, and I love that Leviathan counted with their noisy roll out. And he sort of "gears up" his super speed reaction. I bet Bendis is drawing a bit on his time on Iron Man. Due to the fact that he's been fighting and doing this either on or above his level, I'm only just now realizing how powerful his Superman is.

The general respect and reverence that the people of the DCU have for Superman continues here. I like it for my ego as a Superman fan, but I also like the practical story applications that seem to be spinning out of it on multiple fronts.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Bruce and Damian were more temporarily distracted then taken out (getting caught in their capes thanks to Jason). The rest... Jason is highly trained. Not just from his Robin days, but also from the League of Shadows/Assassins and the All-Caste (even older order of assassins, but good guys). Bendis didn't job Jason, which I give him credit for. Well, in fighting. The lead up to it though is about as weak as can be though.

AND WHERE IS KATE SPENCER'S KID!?
    Oh totally. I was very happy Jason won that fight actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It started as a joke but at this rate I could see this being an alternate version of Superman. Flowing red cape, is going out of his way to not harm anyone, doesn't want conflict with Superman but it looks like he holds his own against him here when things get physical.

I mean, that by no means narrows it down and I'm not outright predicting it, just that it could fit at this stage.
    Lmao you want Nuperman back so bad you’re willing to take him back as the antagonist Sacred? I wouldn’t mind seeing Superbro and Superdad clashing but the odds of it being him are nihl. This isn’t going to be some crazy out there alternate universe person, it’s going to be a street level character. I’ve seen people guess it’s Roy, Ted, or Ric and any of those feels more likely.

Heh, I want him back real bad yeah but not as a bad guy. Only reason the theory is amusing to me is because Leviathan is shaping up to not be bad. And its just one thing in a long list of suspects right now. I'm not married to any idea right now, be it someone street level or something maybe more cosmic in scope. Hell my number 1 idea, if I had to have one, would still be that its not even a he. But yeah, this thing screams temporary antagonist whom when revealed is actually a force for good taking misunderstood if not controversial measures. Whoever it ends up being it won't be a heel-turn scenario at its core.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-10-2019 at 04:57 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

i bet amanda shoots superman.

I can't be sure, because I'm not reading it, but I think that the Lois Lane series could be far more connected to this Event than I envisioned. I also think that fans of this character will be greatly pleased (or at least mildly?) once they've reached the last few pages of today's issue.

I am very confused. Not too sure what is going on but I kinda like it!

Is it just me or is Lois very suspicious? Is she working against Batman and Superman?

That was a pretty solid issue. I still think Green Arrow is involved if not actually heading Leviathan (which I'm more convinced than ever that multiple people are wearing the suit) but I think Sam Lane may also be intimately involved as well. That last page was great. spoilers:
    though was that Constantine behind Elongated Man or someone else. Really liked seeing Bullock and Renee there as well. Deathstroke seemed completely out of left field, though I think it plays well with the Lois/Deathstroke fill in issues from the Superman Rebirth run. Curious to see who Silencer was working for. Not sure if it was Leviathan or someone else.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    I am very confused. Not too sure what is going on but I kinda like it!

Is it just me or is Lois very suspicious? Is she working against Batman and Superman?
    I think she's suspicious of Batman, as most people rightly are. Dude's plans always blow up in his face. But I don't think she's working against him. Like they said, everyone on that "team" is actually a suspect in some fashion. So the fact that she did what she did is more based on trying to work things out than working against them. Definitely not working against Superman. I would not be surprised if she suspects her father has some sort of involvement though.

Rucka mentioned in a podcast (word balloon maybe) that the back end of Lois' series will deal with some of the fallout of Event Leviathan.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

My theory holds that this is the Earth Two Kal-l Superman. It would make sense with the reveal of the automobile from the cover of Action Comics 1...