Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That's a funky Superman. It's weird that the hauntingly beautiful art of Maleev sometimes doesn't stick a landing. You get something like this or his raggedy Namor.

Oh and I'd expect the event villain to get Superman this early. I didn't really like the similar scene last issue because I'm completely against any Robin beating Batman in any sense though.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Yeah, I saw someone say that on Twitter and Bendis actually retweeted that. It’d be kinda ripping himself off since he had Ultron do the same thing in Age of Ultron, have his base in the future.

Maybe Leviathan is Kamandi! Or even someone like Blue Beetle who had access to Boosters time travel tech. Max Lord could work there to.
    It can't be Max Lord. Lord has always been more ruthless, and he'd just as soon take control of Superman than placate him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    I've grown on Superlad's Stephanie Brown theory but yeah, probably.
    That's assuming they ever did anything with Stephanie.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    In his latest interview Bendis said that if a character wasn't already part of the story, then it doesn't make story sense for them to be a suspect let alone Leviathan.

So, with that in mind, and looking at the fact that Oliver, Lois, Kate, Question, and even Plastic Man have all either been approached by Leviathan, or set up by Leviathan, that leaves Damian. And as Bendis puts it, "Damian's one of the wild cards" in the story. He's also the least likely simply due to his age and size.

So, I'm gonna go ahead and tipple down on my Future Damian guess. A future Damian coming back to his past and taking over the name and organization built by his mother, but using it to his own ends makes sense and keeps in "in the family." The current Damian was the first to basically kick off this event by placing doubt on Jason. That's not to say that current Damian is in League with Leviathan, but rather that it's a twist on the age old murder mystery concept of the killer being the one to cast the first stone. Then there's Jason's comment about "daddy issues." Then there's the fact that Leviathan has said that he tried it Batman's way.

Also now his comments to Plastic Man make more sense if it's Damian. The world he was born into almost did swallow him whole, and he had to turn things around. And if it is a future Damian then he likely did fight as part of the Justice League and so on.

While time travel isn't too hard to come by in the DCU, it's just now become of greater importance to Bendis due to his Legion book, and it's possible that Damian gains the tech from a future Jon.
    Oliver wasn't approached by Leviathan. Smart money is still on him, but the Damian thing is a possibility.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Oliver wasn't approached by Leviathan. Smart money is still on him, but the Damian thing is a possibility.
    You're right, I forgot that they didn't take him.

Oliver is the guess that I was persuaded to agree with, but Future Damian is by far my favorite guess.

For those wondering, my Stephanie Brown is pretty self explanatory, but I have pretty much zero faith in it given that she wasn't used or mentioned any book outside of Young Justice at this point. Damian's the hill I'm gonna die on.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-12-2019 at 02:47 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I really think Clark flat out saying "a clue" when he noticed the teleportation tech had some trace amounts of temporal energy to it seems like, well, a clue. And just look at all the Event Leviathan covers and variant covers. It's so Batman related, but he's not the one leading the charge or even driving the investigation. Lois is. And yeah, Batman's image pushes units, but it almost exclusively being Batman is kind of...off, yeah? Plus, the "I tried it your way" teaser with Batman.

I imagine making the next big fixture in the DCU's DNA the Son of Batman reforming how Earthly intelligence works would be a way to give it some cred and put it on the map, so to speak.

Also the irony of Talia shouting out "if you kill me, my son will..." as she's pushed from the aircraft by Leviathan (knowing Superman would get her) would be pretty sweet. And Leviathan calling her a broken women, and hoping that she could move past her upbringing hits all the harder if its a Damian who is old enough to be over his mother's crap.

And, just because I keep noticing this stuff, it "rhymes" with Jon's journey. Under Bendis' pen Jon just set in motion reform on a galactic scale, and now Damian is reforming how the spy game works on Earth. That plays to the idea that, in their own distinct ways, these kids are trying to bringing about change.

That's assuming my guess is correct.

Edit: This would also explain his Batman related stuff he teased on twitter. He says he's not going to be writing any Batman books, but I have to imagine that he'd get his Bat-fill if he were writing Leviathan as Damian because that would absolutely require Bruce showing up.

Edit2: it may not seem like much, but in issue 3 Damian finds the device that Waller left in the Fortress and immediately says "oh we're poaching this tech" in the event where the main bad guy admits to poaching or borrowing other tech. Sure, it's not crazy for a Batman character to say this, but it's at least notable in this event, I feel.

Also in this event Bruce has had several moments of "breaking character" and trying to be a dad. The first being when Damian jumps after Jason, and Bruce foregoes the chase to make sure Damian lands safe. The second is in this issue where Bruce is telling Damian to have more respect for Superman (something Leviathan does have, and would make a lot of sense if it is a future Damian)

Edit3: Damian is also seen admiring Manhunetr's staff and asking if she made the tech herself. Yet another instance of him Damian looking to approrate tech in the story where the mystery bad guy is doing the same but on a grander scale.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-12-2019 at 04:26 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Anyone else notice the pretty real power creep that Bendis brought with him onto Superman?

Like, now Clark can apparently hear on a global scale. Put that into perspective of how most other writers usually show him to only be able to hear for about the range of a city or a country. I also find it really freakin cool that Clark can "program" his hearing on that scale to filter for those words, and I love that Leviathan counted with their noisy roll out. And he sort of "gears up" his super speed reaction. I bet Bendis is drawing a bit on his time on Iron Man. Due to the fact that he's been fighting and doing this either on or above his level, I'm only just now realizing how powerful his Superman is.

The general respect and reverence that the people of the DCU have for Superman continues here. I like it for my ego as a Superman fan, but I also like the practical story applications that seem to be spinning out of it on multiple fronts.
    This is just Bendis being a bad writer and rehashing what he wrote on Daredevil