Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Default Did Adam Warlock suffered from being tied with one or two writers?

So obviously, not counting when he was "Him" (from the classic FF story with alicia in a cult) nor the episode when Him comes back to fight Thor in Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's run (although this one is more significant since that's when Thor goes into Warrior Madness mode for the first time, which leads to Odin condemning him to find the origin of galactus, and all that jazz: plus if you don't know that Thor first got warrior's madness fighting Him, then you can't fully enjoy the cheesy Blood and thunder storyline from 1994).

So starting with the strange tales issues where he was first called warlock, warlock has only been written, up to the mid 2000's, by two writers: roy thomas, for the first saga on counter earth, and Jim starlin.

Warlock should be at least a B+ list character: he's the main character of his own series (warlock, and later warlock and the infinity watch), and of so many important crosovers: Blood and thunder, infinity gauntlet, Infinity war, infinity crusade and infinity abyss, plus Universe X and Paradise X. And YET, we can all agree, he's considered C-list at best. He doesn't even have an ongoing, and freaking Squirrel Girl got multiple ones.

So what's the problem? Obviously, the character has importance in the MU, but it seems like no one knows what to do with him or doesn't care: is he because he was only written by two people, and therefore there isn't much divergent point of view around him (i mean, i know he was written by abnett and lanning in their GOTG stories, and Duggan in Infinity Wars, but in very minor roles) ? What blocks him from truly being close to A-list? Is he too powerful? too linked to one genre of story? too linked to the very surreal Starlin-verse?

Adam is one of my favorite characters but I really don't want to see him every month. If he shows up, it should be because it's about to hit the fan.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Adam is one of my favorite characters but I really don't want to see him every month. If he shows up, it should be because it's about to hit the fan.
    He's a character that works best in small doses.

BTW i liked the DnA version of Adam Warlock as the Merlin to Star-Lord's King Arthur.

Too bad they screwed up by turning him into Magus and killed him off quickly. That's another reason why Starlin's OGN trilogy was needed, because Warlock deserves a better sendoff than that.