Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

There have been ups and downs due to the Fox X-Men films. Their effect wasn't entirely negative, but not entirely positive either.

It could have been much worse....
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Not really. I think for the most part it will be easily forgotten and those movies will get buried in the disney vault. Should make them collectible items in the future. Marvel negatively impacted the x-men brand because of the rights though but i don't think the damage is irreversible.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Yeah, and with the huge advertising push that the X-Men are getting now, Marvel is pretty much gloating that they have the rights to everything. I just hope they do the movies right, I feel like Xavier, Logan, and Magneto could use a bit of a rest and they could refocus the X-Men on Jean, Scott, Storm, Emma, Rogue, Gambit, Kitty, Kurt, etc...

It sounds like they are going to do a Magneto Disney+, it will probably be his origin and maybe cover the rise of mutant kind in the MCU.

X3, X-Men Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix clearly hurt the X-Men as a brand. No doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    X3, X-Men Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix clearly hurt the X-Men as a brand. No doubt about it.
    Does the general public even know Dark Phoenix was an X-film? If you hadn't seen the previous ones and the way it was marketed i would have never known.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Does the general public even know Dark Phoenix was an X-film? If you hadn't seen the previous ones and the way it was marketed i would have never known.
    Everybody I know knew that was an X-Men movie because of James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and sadly, Jennifer Lawrence. I can only speak for my friends tho (who don't read comics at all).

No, but it did not help either.

So am I the only one that's bugged by everybody thinking of Xavier and Magneto as British

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Yeah, Fox really did push the boundaries of what comic book movies can do. That's why they were so actively ashamed of the source material, removed everything fun about the X-Men, focused solely on Wolverine, and presented all movies as the same with a nonsensical continuity. They marketed them as action movies with some superpowers, not true superhero movies. Their biggest innovation was making R-rated movies, but how long did it take to get one? 16 years. They also had to lose their creative lead. They also had have the test footage leaked and see the demand. They also cut the already minuscule budget they were working with.

So no, that doesn't at all count as pushing any boundary.
    Most of the Fox X-men films are just generic sci-fi action films. They didn't know how or want to be superhero stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Fox raised awareness of the brand but over the years has probably just confused audiences about what the brand actually is, because Fox themselves didn't know. So define "damage."
    I agree totally with this. I think people now see X-Men as whatever FOX made them into, and not the bad ass action heroes people see Avengers as (minus Wolverine).

Yeah, Fox really did push the boundaries of what comic book movies can do. That's why they were so actively ashamed of the source material, removed everything fun about the X-Men, focused solely on Wolverine, and presented all movies as the same with a nonsensical continuity. They marketed them as action movies with some superpowers, not true superhero movies. Their biggest innovation was making R-rated movies, but how long did it take to get one? 16 years. They also had to lose their creative lead. They also had have the test footage leaked and see the demand. They also cut the already minuscule budget they were working with.
    I always felt it was mainly Disney not Fox that was ashamed of the source material of marvel. disney has been telling their own stories for years now and they mask it as marvel movies. it is Disney that doesnt want to accept comic stories are more than silly childish entertainment for the masses, it is MCU that has rejected that comics stories can't compete with the self proclaimed intellectual films out there. to me that is what is shameful because I know how good marvel comics are especially X-men or daredevil. It makes sense they never gave Daredevil a movie.

So no, that doesn't at all count as pushing any boundary.
    Pushing boundaries is when you start a comic film with a realistic take of nazi germany that people will easily get confuse with a world war 2 movie, instead of thinking this is a comic film based on shallow comic stereotypes. that is where x-men 1 begins and that is it where it ends with Logan metaphorically. Disney does not like those type of films because apparently they don't make kids hump on the toys train set fast enough.Boring. Scary too, since most xmen comics usually leaves you with nazi Germany thoughts.

You say all the MCU movies are formulaic, but how so? Outside of just "superhero", they fall into a different genre. They've done everything from military sci-fi, spy fiction, war, space operas, urban fantasy, science fantasy, heist, supernatural, teen movie, afrofuturism, and romantic comedy, among others, often mixing them together. You can also add wuxia, horror, sitcom, psychological thriller, and coming of age soon. Oh, and vampires. At the same time, all have a unifying factor and they feel like part of the same franchise, while keeping a tight continuity and embracing the source rather than rejecting it.
    I have said this already , hate repeating myself . all the genre you mentioned are disney take of the genre so they are all formulaic version of the genre that don't carry any real weight in the genre.

Are we going to compare Homecoming to Juno or bring it on because they are both teens films?

Are we going to compare star wars or star trek with GOTG because they are both have heavy elements of the space opera genre?

Are we going to compare Endgame to Dofp or The Terminator or the time machine because they are all time travel films ?

Are we going to compare Ant man to Ocean's 11 because both claim to be heist movies?

Are we going to compare Black panther to Maloclm x because they both claim to be Afrocentric movies?

Are we going to compare whatever mcu calls romantic comedy to Pretty Woman, when harry met sally orBridesmiads?

Even brain done x-men movie fox made from DOFP to Logan to X2 to deadpool can be compared to the best of their genre. That was the quality of xmen films. that is not the standard for the MCU. in the 2000s the goal was to make xmen movies authentic movies not just silly pop corn flicks comic fillms, that is the road MCU has gone with disney helming them. MCU does not even hide it.

That's way more innovative than FoX-Men.
    They were innovating for creating a cinematic universe, remove that and see their movies as stand alone in their own marvel universe like Spiderman 2002 or xmen 2000 or Blade 1998 or Hulk 2002. The nature of these films are there and they are not pretty.

Btw, what you're saying about Marvel Studios being so hard to work with was when they had to answer to Ike Perlmutter. It was so bad that Kevin Feige, the architect of the whole MCU, came this close to quitting. Since Marvel Studios was split from Marvel Entertainment, the overall atmosphere is a lot more positive. Natalie Portman has gone from swearing off the MCU to returning to play Jane Thor, and there have been many more cases of directors returning to the seat (before, the only ones to do more than one were Jon Faverau and Joss Whedon).
    MCU split from marvel entertainment and their movies never got better than phase 1 with the exception of the Captain America movies. all the potential was there. they split from marvel entertainment and somehow their movies of 2019 are more compatible with Disney original films than the marvel films of the past or worse their own source material that I don't think fox fully ever got right even with highs in the series as X2.

The last time a mcu movie was in a xmen conversation as what xmen films may be like if they were in the MCU was in 2014-2015.
    I will make it simple. The MCU forumalic style is beneath the X-men series as much as kinberg's talent were. It won't even have happened in the 90s when marvel came up with X-men TAS.

Fox at least were 60% aware of that. Disney isn't at all and its sad they never will because all what they see is their formula works as it makes money. They could care less about the substance and heart of what makes xmen good. The one big reason their star wars and spiderman movies are shadows of their classic movies made by other studios. The same will likely happen with their x-men movies.

There have been ups and downs due to the Fox X-Men films. Their effect wasn't entirely negative, but not entirely positive either.

It could have been much worse....
    There would still be lows for X-Men in the mcu, see the quality of captain marvel and many of their movies like Ant man, homecoming, thor.

There would never be anything as high again for X-MEN , see the quality of X2 or Logan compared to the manufactured driven MCU movies.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-11-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Incredible Member

I think it has. It's a terrible franchise done in by Fox and Bryan Singer. They took a franchise that was fantastical and removed all the fantastical out of it. too afraid to dress them and too slow to embrace the weirdness.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I don't think so.
    Many people know the X-men thanks to these movies. They weren't very faithful to the source material but where enjoyable for many, maybe not for hardcore comicbook fans.

BANNED

Again, that doesn't mean much. I can guarantee you more have seen Batman & Robin than The Dark Knight Returns. Yeah, that's the saddest thing I've had to say in a while. It's not just about a franchise getting more exposure, but how it's done.
    It’s not sad at all. Batman and Robin is a much better movie.

Wait, what just happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Even brain done x-men movie fox made from DOFP to Logan to X2 to deadpool can be compared to the best of their genre. That was the quality of xmen films. that is not the standard for the MCU.

You have no business being this pretentious about Deadpool of all things.