Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Titans Season 2 Discussion Thread *Latest Episode Spoilers*

Eeesh.

I was lukewarm on the first season, but the cast is just so great that I was hoping that the second season would see a course correction towards something less dire and self-serious. That looks like what they're aiming for here, but they rushed through the leftovers from last season so quickly and in such an unsatisfying way.

I now totally understand why they decided to punt their original season finale to the first half of the season opener in the hopes that the promise of something better in season two would keep viewers coming back. It helps that this show is based upon the subscription model, so anyone who wants to watch it has already signed up for DC Universe, so they might as well watch the next episode.

That said, with the similarly underwhelming non-ending that Swamp Thing got and the mixed bag that was Titans Season 1, Doom Patrol has turned out to be the only success story of DC Universe's live-action shows.

On the bright side, Deathstroke looks perfectly cast, and their Jason Todd remains adorably obnoxious. I was surprised to see Bruce Wayne so early, but I guess they felt the need to bring in the big guns since they had such a lame first half wrapping up Trigon. His accent is dodgy, but I liked what he did with him.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I'm enjoying the show, maybe cause my expectations were so low. Doom Patrol is another level, you're right, but this show has some potential too.
    Some charachters are better than others, maybe Raven and Beast Boys are the weak link, but Donna, Dick and Dove are great.
    I'm still believe this 1st episode of season 2 should have been the final of season 1. Definetely rushed. I don't mind cause Trigon, demons and magic sides are not my cup of tea.
    Anyway, as I said, I'm enjoying it and it's a pleasant weekly fixture for me.

It wasn't really better than the first season yet but the last few minutes do show promise. Slade's introduction was good as well as the reveal of Titans Tower.

As it is right now, I am only watching this for Donna, Kory, and Dick. I like what they are doing with the relationships and that we might seem more od Donna and Kory together too. Also, dialog seems less awkward when their actors are involved. For me, Brenton Thwites demonic beat up of Gar was easily the best-acted scene in the latest Episode.

Deathstroke wasn't bad. I like him already. Iain Glen's Bruce though, hmmm, I minded him more than I thought I would. Just doesn't seem like Bruce to me. Not the accent, not the word choice, not the visuals. The only thing I consider on point was the body language. Maybe it's also because he would have made an amazing Alfred. While I applaud them for going with an old Bruce, considering Batman's age is always in debate, it's kind of jarring, that Bruce is older than Wintergreen.

The defeat of Trigon happened a bit too quickly but I did enjoy the look into how Trigon corrupted them. I also liked the promise of what is to come.

Also, you'd think that after all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over Kory not being orange, the "respect the source material" crowd would have more to say about Garth having blonde hair and lacking his distinctive purple eyes.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-11-2019 at 05:13 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Also, you'd think that after all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over Kory not being orange, the "respect the source material" crowd would have more to say about Garth having blonde hair and lacking his distinctive purple eyes.
    True, but the actor is so pretty. lol

The first half was so half-assed. Raven just waves her hands and Trigon disappears. Seriously? It was nice to see Donna's classic origin though (let's hope they won't be changing it each new season). And Bruce looked and sounded more like Alfred than Bruce.

Bruce is too old. It'd be fine if this was a retired Batman, but at the beginning of the episode he was supposedly on the other side of the world with the Justice League. And he's still teaming with Robin (Jason), so he's supposed to be active. This guy does not come off as someone still fighting crime. Great actor, but miscast in my opinion. He even has thinning hair, to the point where I think you can see a bald spot on the back.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

I had high hopes this season would be better than the last but I was disappointed in this episode. And I was very surprised to see Johns co-wrote it. I can't imagine him ever turning in such a lackluster script for a comic book.

Re: Iain Glen, I couldn't stop thinking he makes a better Alfred than Bruce Wayne.

And that Trigon resolution was extra lame. Here's hoping it gets better.

Yeah, the Trigon ending was weak. Had that closed last season, I might not have come back. After Trigon is dispatched all too easily, the episode just sort of meanders along for a while. Not a great start.

The likability of the cast is really carrying this show. Brenton Thwaites is consistently good, Ryan Potter is likable as Gar, Minka Kelly is appealing as Dove and Conor Leslie is pretty perfect as Donna. Curran Walters is stealing the show as Jason, though.

It's hard to buy a member of the Batfamily jumping in front of a TV camera these days, but I like the character enough that I don't care.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, last season was definitely a better premiere. It seems like they realized they didn’t have the budget to pull off Trigon convincingly halfway through filming (evidenced by Trigon’s World of Warcraft-like appearance). And that sucks because if they had the proper budget, this resolution could have been much more satisfying. That being said, I don’t think we’ve seen the last of Trigon. In the original NTT run, they “defeated” him once only to have him come back stronger than ever. I think they might be trying something similar here.

Ideally, though, WB really should be giving them a bigger budget to work with. They should be getting as much as the Disney+ shows get. And WB has the resources to pull it off too.

Though, it’s honestly the rest of the episode that saves this premiere. The Deathstroke stuff is awesome. The tour of Titans Tower builds anticipation of great stuff yet to come. It would be a DC fan’s dream come true (if there was more of a budget to pull off the big, CGI villains).

Considering S2Ep1 was filmed long ago before the writers had a chance to regroup after Season 1....I feel like the 2nd episode will probably be a better reflection of what they learned.

Dick and Donna are still my favorites on the show (as well as the actors Thwaites and Leslie), and looking forward to what they do with Deathstroke and Superboy.

I loved Donna, “what the **** is that”.

Extraordinary Member

is this the offical show discussion thread

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    is this the offical show discussion thread
    It can be. There’s nothing official about it though. I just didn’t see a thread already about season 2, so I started one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    It can be. There’s nothing official about it though. I just didn’t see a thread already about season 2, so I started one.
    Well, there was one in the TV/Films forum, but I'm not complaining about another thread.