Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    is this the offical show discussion thread
    There's a thread that was created back when the show was announced and is active right now. It's in the tv/film section.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...Titans-TV-show

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Unsurprisingly, the second episode was a big step up from the Frankenstein monster that was the season premier.

The tone has shifted noticeably away from the dour grim n' gritty edginess of the first season and settled nicely into a happy medium between the ridiculously pretentious self-seriousness of the Snyderverse and the goofy soap opera of the CW Arrowverse. Each of the characters is being given interesting things to do, there's a lot of fun action to enjoy, and the seeds for future conflicts are being planted in a way that makes me want to come back. It's been a bumpy ride, but it's looking like Titans is finally finding its footing by sticking to the guiding principles that made the Arrowverse shows so successful--the 3 Hs of Heart, Humor & Heroics.

I'm surprised by how much I'm loving Jason Todd, a character I had no strong feelings for prior to this. Now that they've toned him down a tad from the violent sociopath he was in the first season, he's quickly become my favorite part of the show.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I'm enjoying the show every episode more and more.
    At the moment is the only Titans depiction I like in the entire DC Universe.
    Every character has his space and development and I'm happy with it.
    I'm in apprehension for Jason, waiting for what's coming next.

Extraordinary Member

I've said it before, but the only thing really keeping this show from its full potential down is its budget (or lack thereof). The concepts are there. The writing is there. It just needs a more expansive budget to really capture the Titans mythos properly. If Disney can drop $15 million per episode on the Mandalorian, WB should do more for this show (and for all their DC Universe shows).

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I've said it before, but the only thing really keeping this show from its full potential down is its budget (or lack thereof). The concepts are there. The writing is there. It just needs a more expansive budget to really capture the Titans mythos properly. If Disney can drop $15 million per episode on the Mandalorian, WB should do more for this show (and for all their DC Universe shows).
    Let's not pretend that they're going to have the same reach as Disney Plus. We're not in that universe. These are niche shows on a niche app being later sold piecemeal to other platforms, and not all the same ones.

Maybe if they do one of the Trinity, but not for what we've got going otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Let's not pretend that they're going to have the same reach as Disney Plus. We're not in that universe. These are niche shows on a niche app being later sold piecemeal to other platforms, and not all the same ones.

Maybe if they do one of the Trinity, but not for what we've got going otherwise.
    I wonder if HBOMax originals will have distinction from DC Universe originals.

Honestly, this show is so good that I dont even mind the low budget look. I nevet thought I'd say it, especially when the first trailer dropped over a year ago, but this is pretty much all I could ask for in a live action Titans show.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

Oh yeah, I know. But they had the potential to be. WB is one of the largest studios in Hollywood and they're able to churn out major blockbuster-style shows with dazzling special effects like Game of Thrones. They could if they wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if HBOMax originals will have distinction from DC Universe originals.
    I guess we can find out once Watchmen finally airs. There should be at least a few things there that require a good CGI budget, if only to make Dr. Manhattan look good.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 09-23-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Oh yeah, I know. But they had the potential to be. WB is one of the largest studios in Hollywood and they're able to churn out major blockbuster-style shows with dazzling special effects like Game of Thrones. They could if they wanted to.
    But the question is whether they necessarily need to. I mean, I would love super big-budget prestige DC stuff but they have to weight the cost and the potential benefit without having the MCU brand behind them.

Extraordinary Member

But the question is whether they necessarily need to. I mean, I would love super big-budget prestige DC stuff but they have to weight the cost and the potential benefit without having the MCU brand behind them.
    I guess, and I don't want to detract too much from Titans, but I feel like if they ever do want their DC stuff to be competitive with the MCU (and why wouldn't they), they have to start investing in it in a serious way. One of the reasons I think why the MCU movies are successful and why Aquaman was the most successful DC movie was because they are incredible to look at. Aquaman, IMO, isn't as narratively tight as something like Wonder Woman or Shazam, but VISUALLY, it hasn't been matched in the DCEU.

But at the same time, I guess these shows are in the same vein as Marvel's Netflix shows and they didn't have that impressive of CGI either. Though, I'm sure that the Disney+ series are going to be visually stunning.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 09-23-2019 at 05:16 PM.

I guess, and I don't want to detract too much from Titans, but I feel like if they ever do want their DC stuff to be competitive with the MCU (and why wouldn't they), they have to start investing in it in a serious way. One of the reasons I think why the MCU movies are successful and why Aquaman was the most successful DC movie was because they are incredible to look at. Aquaman, IMO, isn't as narratively tight as something like Wonder Woman or Shazam, but VISUALLY, it hasn't been matched in the DCEU.

But at the same time, I guess these shows are in the same vein as Marvel's Netflix shows and they didn't have that impressive of CGI either. Though, I'm sure that the Disney+ series are going to be visually stunning.
    That's on a movie level though. I don't know if they're quite at a point where they will invest in series with movie level budgets like Disney is.

I am really enjoying this season sooooo much more than I did the first season. This is a much more compelling show to watch for sure.

As for the budget, I don't think it's fair to compare this to the Disney+ shows, because that's meant to be a Netflix killer. In contrast, DC Universe was a much more modest affair. The limited budget also gives the creators more freedom to do what they want without too many studio execs sticking their noses in.

Now, if Titans season 2 ends up being a huge success on whatever new streaming service they're setting up, then they'll certainly increase the budget, but that won't happen because the first season just wasn't that good, so only the hardcore comics geeks like ourselves are sticking around for season 2. With so many options for entertainment these days, you've got to come out of the gate already great. The casual viewer doesn't have the time or patience to sit through an entire season of uneven grimdark superhero soap opera to get to a show that finally seems to be working, particularly after that horribly uneven season premier.

Extraordinary Member

That's on a movie level though. I don't know if they're quite at a point where they will invest in series with movie level budgets like Disney is.
    I guess. I just think they need to get to that level if they want their franchises to be taken seriously as an alternative to Marvel/Disney+.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Now, if Titans season 2 ends up being a huge success on whatever new streaming service they're setting up, then they'll certainly increase the budget, but that won't happen because the first season just wasn't that good, so only the hardcore comics geeks like ourselves are sticking around for season 2. With so many options for entertainment these days, you've got to come out of the gate already great. The casual viewer doesn't have the time or patience to sit through an entire season of uneven grimdark superhero soap opera to get to a show that finally seems to be working, particularly after that horribly uneven season premier.
    I actually heard that a lot of people liked the first season. I mean, I loved it and it got great reviews. But if Titans itself doesn't make the case that they should increase the budgets, then Doom Patrol should at least help convince them.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 09-23-2019 at 10:11 PM.

I guess. I just think they need to get to that level if they want their franchises to be taken seriously as an alternative to Marvel/Disney+.

I actually heard that a lot of people liked the first season. I mean, I loved it and it got great reviews. But if Titans itself doesn't make the case that they should increase the budgets, then Doom Patrol should at least help convince them.
    It was also a ratings hit on netflix.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-23-2019 at 11:43 PM.

I'm sure plenty of people loved the first season, but I think the general consensus was that it was too uneven and self-serious for its own good. Hopefully, enough people like it well enough to get to where they are now, but I suspect the audience might have shrunk, not grown.