Incredible Member

Default All Things Disney

Come and discuss all things revolving around the House of Mouse. Which shouldn't be hard, since they own about half of all entertainment now!

Some possible topics:
    What do you think they'll buy next?
    What live-action remake of an animated film will come next?
    What are the best and worst animated films?

IMO, Walt Disney Animation Studios went 99 years and 61 movies without ever making a bad movie...until Wish. Change my mind.
    Last edited by Slimybug; 05-02-2024 at 12:03 PM.

Recently, I have been watching Ducktales (1987) cartoon up to the 19th episode. I used to watch some episodes when the show aired decades ago. I also am watching Ducktales 2017 cartoon up to the 3rd episode.

That was since I started subscribing to Disney Plus+.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    C

IMO, Walt Disney Animation Studios went 99 years and 61 movies without ever making a bad movie...until Wish. Change my mind.
    So you thought Raya and Strange World were good movies despite failing at the box office? Well, I haven't watched either of the films yet. But when I do, I will decide if either one is good.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    So you thought Raya and Strange World were good movies despite failing at the box office? Well, I haven't watched either of the films yet. But when I do, I will decide if either one is good.
    They were both pretty mid, but not outright bad. The Black Cauldron I would also place in that category. But Wish was just awful.

Note that I singled out WDAS, not all Disney animation. Pixar actually made their first really bad film the year before, with Lightyear. Sheesh.

They were both pretty mid, but not outright bad. The Black Cauldron I would also place in that category. But Wish was just awful.

Note that I singled out WDAS, not all Disney animation. Pixar actually made their first really bad film the year before, with Lightyear. Sheesh.
    Yes, I knew you mentioned WDAS. That was why I didn't point the Pixar films. I knew Raya and Strange World were made by WDAS.

Good grief, I forgot about the Black Cauldron. Actually, I still have not watched it. But some people have said it was bad. I read the comments about Cauldron in this forum.

The Black Cauldron is also a relic of the Dark Age of Animation, where everything was done as cheaply as possible, and you could see the lines from the initial rough drawings in the actual film. Think Hanna-Barbera stuff - they are the ones who really perfected the cheap animation style that ruled in those days.

Other Disney stuff like Atlantis, Hercules, and Treasure Planet might not have been overly successful, but are either sleeper films or borderline cult movies.
    Dark does not mean deep.

There was some great creativity/effects/experiments with their live action films during that time, if most of them weren't exactly big hits.

TRON, Flight of the Navigator, The Black Hole, Return to Oz, Natty Gann etc.

I kind of wonder if Disney partly bought Lucasfilm and Marvel since they were having some real trouble trying to recapture the Pirates of The Caribbean magic and were kind of stumbling.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The Black Cauldron is also a relic of the Dark Age of Animation, where everything was done as cheaply as possible, and you could see the lines from the initial rough drawings in the actual film. Think Hanna-Barbera stuff - they are the ones who really perfected the cheap animation style that ruled in those days.

Other Disney stuff like Atlantis, Hercules, and Treasure Planet might not have been overly successful, but are either sleeper films or borderline cult movies.
    I know the Hercules one is in the works. How well that will go, I don't know. The Disney film was vastly different from established mythology, and established mythology is far too graphic for a kids film. Almost went off on a bad tangent there.

Anyway, Sword in the Stone would be one of the few I wouldn't mind getting an overhaul. Its not terrible, but story-telling wise, the film was a mess. It needs to be changed up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I know the Hercules one is in the works. How well that will go, I don't know. The Disney film was vastly different from established mythology, and established mythology is far too graphic for a kids film. Almost went off on a bad tangent there.

Anyway, Sword in the Stone would be one of the few I wouldn't mind getting an overhaul. Its not terrible, but story-telling wise, the film was a mess. It needs to be changed up a bit.
    Any film that has Hades as an actual evil character has already tossed out mythology - which is nearly every single film featuring Greek gods.....ever. The most accurate portrayal of Hades I have ever seen on screen is from Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. When a camp-fest that cares absolutely nothing for accuracy and has more anachronisms than a time travel show gets one of the major Greek gods more right than nearly everybody else combined, you know there's a problem.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Spectacular Member

Come and discuss all things revolving around the House of Mouse. Which shouldn't be hard, since they own about half of all entertainment now!

Some possible topics:
    What do you think they'll buy next?
    What live-action remake of an animated film will come next?
    What are the best and worst animated films?

Did you watch the special features, or just listen to the soundtrack on it's own. I really like all the little touches Wish has.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    I liked both those films. Raya was fun and Strange World had some of the most impressive animation and world building in recent years.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Doubt I'll get my wish, but I'd really like to see Donald Duck return in some form or another. He's my favorite cartoon character of all time.

At least we're getting the upcoming 'What If...Donald Duck was Wolverine" story soon.