Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Khan quoting "Moby Dick" in "ST:WoK" was cool. (I wonder if they meant it as a rejoinder to Kirk quoting Milton in "Space Seed")
    Kirk exaplained Khan's mention of Milton to his colleagues in TOS after Khan reacted to being told that he would be dumped on a primitive world. Still, you're right that it is a call back the conflict being between classically educated adversaries. Today, the audience would require a social media campaign to give it meaning

Extraordinary Member

"How much can a man take? Shaddup! I asked you how much can a man take?!!" -Vince Mcmahon lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    It's a good scene, but part of what makes it work is that Bill gets Superman so wrong, only seeing the superficial. Clark Kent is who the man is, Superman is what he can do. The guy who becomes himself when he puts on the costume is Batman, with Bruce Wayne being a fake persona.
    Dark does not mean deep.

"Dreams have become reality. And reality doesn't follow stock plots." -- All For One, in response to being told the villain always loses, My Hero Academia

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    It's a good scene, but part of what makes it work is that Bill gets Superman so wrong, only seeing the superficial. Clark Kent is who the man is, Superman is what he can do. The guy who becomes himself when he puts on the costume is Batman, with Bruce Wayne being a fake persona.
    Exactly. It speaks more of Bill's deep-seated cynicism and misanthropy than it does any sort of accurate assessment of Superman's character.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    "Dreams have become reality. And reality doesn't follow stock plots." -- All For One, in response to being told the villain always loses, My Hero Academia
    The great thing about My Hero Academia is how as it's gone on, it's evolved to challenge common assumptions and ideas about who and what heroes and villains actually are. In a lot of ways, the villains are people who've been failed or put at a disadvantage by society because they somehow didn't (or were perceived not to) fit the mold of what a hero should be or look like, while a number of heroes are people who've benefited from a certain level of privilege and status that they've leveraged for the sake of maintaining their position, and the stability of "Hero Society," even if at the expense of the ideals they espouse. Of course, this doesn't justify the damage those villains have done to society overall, and All For One is someone merely exploiting the discontent and dissatisfaction of those failed and/or rejected by "Hero Society" for his own selfish, sadistic gain, though it does still merit looking into the systemic, societal failures that can produce people willing to go to extremes to tear that society down.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Clark Kent is who the man is, Superman is what he can do. The guy who becomes himself when he puts on the costume is Batman, with Bruce Wayne being a fake persona.
    I used to accept this view, these particular conceptions of the dualities, but now I don't really accept either. Grant Morrison seemed to dislike them and think them too simplistic, too unholistic.

And if you look more at Golden Age Superman (and even Silver Age Superman), I think originally Superman was more main side and mild-mannered glasses-wearing always-lying Clark was more like the public-facing version of playboy socialite dilettante Bruce Wayne.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-21-2023 at 09:50 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I used to accept this view, these particular conceptions of the dualities, but now I don't really accept either. Grant Morrison seemed to dislike them and think them too simplistic, too unholistic.

And if you look more at Golden Age Superman (and even Silver Age Superman), I think originally Superman was more main side and mild-mannered glasses-wearing always-lying Clark was more like the public-facing version of playboy socialite dilettante Bruce Wayne.
    Agreed. Originally, S&S' Clark Kent was a riff on The Scarlet Pimpernel's public behavior as Sir Percy, or Zorro's as Don Diego. In the first few issues of Action Comics, he operated out of costume, but not as Kent, and his behavior was much closer to Superman's than Kent's.

Incredible Member

Avengers Endgame

Thanos : You could not live with your own failure. Where did that bring you? Back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Styles View Post
    Avengers Endgame

Thanos : You could not live with your own failure. Where did that bring you? Back to me.
    Still gives me the chills for how applicable that can be to a lot of people and things in real life.

Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3

The High Evolutionary: "THERE IS NO GOD! THAT'S WHY I STEPPED IN!"

Really sells his god complex and further underlines how despicable he is, especially after the flashbacks to Rocket's origin and backstory.

Not a line spoken by a villain, but about one, from Babylon 5: A Call To Arms...

"This is a dream...."

"No! It is a nightmare. And if our dreams can occasionally come true......then what about our nightmares?"
    Dark does not mean deep.

"One does not attempt to step on insects... It simply happens!" - St. Markus Mars of the Five Elders, One Piece Chapter 1111

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    "One does not attempt to step on insects... It simply happens!" - St. Markus Mars of the Five Elders, One Piece Chapter 1111
    The justification of many a genocide, it sounds like.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The justification of many a genocide, it sounds like.
    I might as well give the context.

In context, the Five Elders (who as the presumed highest authorities in the World Government have long been the Greater Scope Antagonists in One Piece - part of the worldbuilding, but not the main antagonists of the current arc until recently), have invaded Egghead Island to stop Dr. Vegapunk from transmitting a message that would reveal forbidden knowledge about the history of their world. Rob Lucci of the intelligence agency Cipher Pol tells the Elder Markus Mars just what has been happening and where everyone is.

The whole island is currently being attacked by a Buster Call - a bombardment by the Marines that is designed to eventually burn an entire island to the ground. Lucci asks the Elder to save fellow Cipher Pol agent Kaku, who was injured earlier. Markus Mars' response (quoted above) makes it clear that he does not really care about the people below him, including those who work for the World Government such as Cipher Pol. They are all just insects to the Elders, beneath their notice.

The Elders have no concern about collateral damage, and this is far from the first time they have ordered a genocidal action. The Island of Scholars, Ohara, was destroyed by a Buster Call because the Scholars were uncovering forbidden knowledge about the Void Century. The Elders, for reasons of their own, do not want the rest of the world to know about the Void Century and its history, and will stop at nothing to keep it hidden.
    Last edited by Chris Lang; 03-24-2024 at 05:47 PM.

It's simple yet effective:

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Indeed, Slade had great lines throughout Teen Titans.
    I know, right?! I mean, there's plenty to choose from...

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."