Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Your all-time least favorite member of the Avengers?

I saw a topic asking about this in regards to the Justice League on the DC forums, thought I'd make the Marvel equivalent.

Who is your all-time least favorite Avenger, of any era?

It can be for a variety of reasons such as: the character didn't belong, didn't fit in well, got on your nerves, you just flat out hated the character, etc.

It should be noted that you don't have to hate the character itself necessarily, but hate them on the Avengers, how they were written, and so on. Of course, hating them outright is a perfectly good reason.

For me:

The Sentry

Ugh, this guy was such a blight on 2000s Marvel, especially because Marvel pushed and shilled him as hard back then as Captain Carol is now, only even more unlikable. I don't even get it, what did Marvel see in him? He was a Superman rip-off, who had none of the depth or likability, who kept getting even more powers at random than his Silver Age counterpart. Everything about him is bad writing on an elementary level. Of course, he was also forced onto us at every turn, and the Brian Michael Bendis' New Avengers run is something I'm very reluctant to go back to just because he's in it. Thankfully, I think Marvel caught on. The last thing Sentry ever did was a short-lived mini and I hope to God they don't have him return to the core again.

Reed Richards

Reed and Cap definitely shouldn't be on the same Avengers team together. It made Cap look disorganized, and not fully in control of the team.

Sadly, that's how I'll always remember the Simonson/Gruenwald/Macchio run on the Avengers.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 09-11-2019 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Added a few more words.

Wolverine

I don't hate Wolverine. The reason I hated him being an Avenger was not because he's a mutant and I think X-Men should just be X-Men or anything, because I've asked in the past which X-Men could become Avengers. I found it can work very well, like when Cannonball and Sunspot became Avengers during Hickman's run, and their characters felt rejuvenated and saved from just fading away, getting locked entirely into mutant conflicts (especially during the time Marvel was giving X-Men the finger), and it allowed them to do different things outside their norm, while being part of an epic ongoing saga.

However, Wolverine is not such an example.

There was no artistic merit to Wolverine being an Avenger. Rather, it was motivated solely for marketing. Wolverine has a history of being overexposed, and this is such an example. They tagged him on the Avengers just to give the team star power, and I felt he was just a bad fit. He was just so tacked on, and honestly is the least creative use of an X-Man-turned-Avenger ever.

Gilgamesh. just didn't understand the character.
    Also, at whatever point it happens in the future, Venom (Brock).

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Gilgamesh. just didn't understand the character.
    Also, at whatever point it happens in the future, Venom (Brock).
    I'm guessing Savage Avengers doesn't count.

This thread is implying the base original NY team, simply Avengers. No adjectives need apply?

Still thinking on who'd I'd add. Lots of 80/90s candidates come to mind.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

captain universe from hickman's run
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Mantis and Triathlon for being creator's pets
    Wolverine never worked especially as he was hardly ever there
    Snetry was badly written to either being a writer's pet or a whining loser

Starfox. His powers are just creepy.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Wolverine - Was clearly just in the book because he was popular and didn't really offer much in terms of narrative. His best stories are told in his solo or X-Men books rather than Avengers books. Wolverine also being in the Avengers books also lead to the overexposure tag being applied to him by many people.

Controversial pick but I'm going to say Tigra. Never saw the appeal of the character.

Jack Of Hearts. If Kurt Busiek wasn't a fan of the character then I doubt he ever would of been an Avenger. The most notable thing he ever did was kill Scott Lang which didn't stick. He should of stayed an antagonist as he was more interesting in that role than he is as a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Wolverine - Was clearly just in the book because he was popular and didn't really offer much in terms of narrative. His best stories are told in his solo or X-Men books rather than Avengers books. Wolverine also being in the Avengers books also lead to the overexposure tag being applied to him by many people.

Controversial pick but I'm going to say Tigra. Never saw the appeal of the character.

Jack Of Hearts. If Kurt Busiek wasn't a fan of the character then I doubt he ever would of been an Avenger. The most notable thing he ever did was kill Scott Lang which didn't stick. He should of stayed an antagonist as he was more interesting in that role than he is as a hero.
    Tigra got screwed by Avengers membership. She was a much stronger solo character, but Shooter (I think it was Shooter) added her to be the rookie who'd make mistakes and generally be weak; he ignored that she had been a strong, experienced hero, both as the Cat, and Tigra. She's never really recovered.

A lot of the people Hickman added, like Captain Universe and Star Brand are pretty low on my list.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    There was no artistic merit to Wolverine being an Avenger. Rather, it was motivated solely for marketing. Wolverine has a history of being overexposed, and this is such an example. They tagged him on the Avengers just to give the team star power, and I felt he was just a bad fit. He was just so tacked on, and honestly is the least creative use of an X-Man-turned-Avenger ever.
    Welcome to the capitalistic business that is the comic book industry. I suppose the same could be said for Batman, with him usually being on the Justice League even though some would describe him as a loner. lol

Wolverine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Tigra got screwed by Avengers membership. She was a much stronger solo character, but Shooter (I think it was Shooter) added her to be the rookie who'd make mistakes and generally be weak; he ignored that she had been a strong, experienced hero, both as the Cat, and Tigra. She's never really recovered.

do you have some recs for solo tigra/cat?

Ex Nihlo. I mean how did that happen?