Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Side-kicks/Supporting characters who SUCKED!

Jar Jar Binks
    Scrappy doo

There's also Astroboy's taller,thinner (and forgotten) brother (from Wikipedia) : "Cobalt (Kobaruto; "Jetto"; later replaced by a character named Atlas in the 1980 anime version) - Atom's robotic brother. His origins differ in the continuities of the manga and anime versions. In the manga, he is an inferior copy of Astro created as a replacement by Prof. Ochanomizu when he was missing and presumed scrap. In the anime version, he was a defective prototype of Atom built by Dr. Tenma, then sealed within the Ministry of Science archivesand later released. Cobalt has abilities comparable to his brother's, but lacks Astro's intelligence and common sense. Clumsy, accident-prone and gullible, he is a constant source of trouble for Atom's family (and everyone else who crosses his path). Despite these problems, Cobalt is often shown to be extremely kind-hearted and loyal. In addition to the abilities that were copied from Atom, he also shares a kind of telepathic link with his brother that gives him the ability to sense when Atom is in danger and home in his location. He originally died a heroic death at the conclusion of the Midoro Swamp story arc in the Shonen Magazine serial version of the manga, but Tezuka later changed his mind and rewrote the ending for the paperback version so that he survived."

Jackdaw the elf from Captain Britain : Even Alan Moore couldn't fix this character so he was quickly bumped off..

Tom Bombadil (eft out of the Lord of the rings movies) He speaks in a rhyming whimsical way: "Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo! Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow! Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!"[4] He has a jolly, carefree attitude, and little seems to concern him. He sometimes refers to himself in the third person, as if simultaneously weaving his own epic narrative, even as he lives it. In The Lord of the Rings he twice describes himself in his songs as: "Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow."

OTHERS?

I always really hated Spritle and Chim Chim from Speed Racer.

And Snapper Carr
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

Wonder twins and Gleek

7 Zark 7 : Battle of the planets (aka Gatchaman). R2d2 ripoff they ditched when they re-released this as eagle riders in the 90's

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Steamboat from the 1940s WHIZ COMICS (e.g. the Marvel/Shazam Family) takes the cake. You couldn't find a more offensive racial caricature if you tried.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Mighty Member

Does THAT kid from Will Eisner's The Spirit count? A better version of him was created in the Darwyn Cooke version...

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Wonder twins and Gleek...
    Thank You! I despised The Wonder Twins and their freaky pet, even as a pre-teen in their original run.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

The new Wonder Twins series is awesome and I am glad it got extended to more than a six issue mini.

Bad sidekicks?

Danny Chase on Teen Titans.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Bad sidekicks?

He was the cousin Oliver of comics.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I always really hated Spritle and Chim Chim from Speed Racer.

And Snapper Carr
    Silver age Snapper Carr wasn't great, but I enjoyed his appearances in Hourman, Young Justice, Final Crisis: Resist. The running gag with his shirts in Hourman and Young Justice was a lot of fun.

One I've never been able to appreciate is Kennedy the Vampire Slayer from "Buffy." The writers seemed to 'try too hard' I think. Nothing against the actress, by any means, but her character always irritated me to no end.

Scrappy doo
    The later scrappy was better. They made him less annoying and gave him a "velma" like role. He dropped his "puppy power" yell but as a downside lost his super strength.

Worst hands down cape man from inspector gadget. Ugh he was awful.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    The new Wonder Twins series is awesome and I am glad it got extended to more than a six issue mini.

Bad sidekicks?

Comic book Wonder Twins (both now and in the 70s/80s comic run) were much better than the TV Wonder Twins.

Bad side kicks.....Non-super hero, I always hated Sebastian and Bleep from the Josie & the Pussycat cartoon.

If we're going super hero cartoons, I'm thinking Orko and Madame Razz from the He-Man/She-ra cartoons.

Orko might be annoying at times but is not a bad sidekick as he did save he-man a few times and did help out when needed.

Jubilee in the X-men. Kitty Pryde was gone off to England and Excalibur and for some reason they felt Wolverine needed a teen sidekick. So they give her a mall rat origin, horrific costume, and lame powers. The concept of giving Wolvie a sidekick could have worked if not for how horrible everything about Jubilee was.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Percival Popp, the Super Cop.

The Spectre did not need a bumbling sidekick, especially one that all but took over the strip.