Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brian71

Question Which actor do you think stars as the best Batman on live-cinema?

Ever since the revival of Batman as a hot movie commodity thanks to Christopher Nolan's "Dark Knight" franchise, fan-bases have raged about which actor plays the best Batman. Especially after the massive "Ben Affleck as Batman" controversy and the very recent protests against Robert Pattinson being cast as the Batman in future movies.
    Like many before, I have decided to add my own two cents to the debate; I have done my research on the matter and scripted this article https://www.gamersdecide.com/article...-batman-actors with my own ranked list of Batman live actors ranging from Clooney to Affleck.

I welcome any decent discussion on my choices.

https://www.gamersdecide.com/article...-batman-actors

Extraordinary Member

It's hard to judge the actors because of the widely differing quality of the scripts they had to work with.

Bale had a huge advantage in having great scripts that gave him a lot to do with both Bruce and Batman. His performances were still very good, especially in Rises.

At the other end of the spectrum is Clooney, who was stuck with a script which even Adam West probably might have struggled with.

Keaton stands out for giving a good performance despite having next to nothing to work with with his script, but I didn't think he was playing Batman, but a random psychopath who happens to be in a bat costume. That's again on the script. Affleck has some of the same problems with killing in BvS that Keaton has in his 2 movies, but his character is capable of growth and feeling remorse, which Keaton's character was completely incapable of doing.

I definitely think Kilmer is underrated. He was Bob Kane's favorite Batman for a reason. I think Forever actually had the best look at the psychology of Batman of any of the live-action movies, even if the Nolan trilogy are better films overall.

West is perfect for the camp interpretation he played.

Well look wise for me its Ben Afflek by a mile. As far as the chatacter and the actual movies I'll go Val Kilmer too. He felt the most like what I imagine Bruce Wayne to be. Bale had wya better movies but I felt he was Miscast. Now if we judge based on the movie quality Bale gets the win.

Astonishing Member

My fave is Keaton.

Bale was good too.

The rest were meh...

My Dynamic Duo of Batmen are West and Keaton.

I thought Bale was a good Bruce but like many that voice is hard to get past and Affleck was good too.

But my fav will probably be Kevin Conroy once he gets to play a live action Bruce on the CW crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Probably the best scene of the entire series.

Physically and in terms of the look of the costume and the fight scenes, Affleck, but in terms of how his Batman was written, he was too brutal, sadistic, and impulsive for my liking.

In terms of how the character was written and the performance, voice aside, Bale.

Two nitpicks about the article; lest we forget, Kilmer also had nipples on his first Batsuit,

And this quote, "No one apart from Adam West could have pulled off the challenge of playing Batman during this era." That's not something anyone can possibly know. Maybe, if someone else had been cast instead, he could have done it better. We simply can't know what might have been.

OK, maybe not Lyle Waggoner.

Extraordinary Member

I'd give it to Affleck he was the most bad-ass. Keaton a close second even though he was a little guy.

Astonishing Member

Bruce Wayne: Christian Bale. Honourable mention to Adam West. Liked Michael Keaton also.

Batman: Keaton or Bale. Leaning to Keaton. Bale's best Bat voice was in Batman Begins.

Overall: Kevin Conroy.

Keaton for me (with a special place for Adam West who was a force of nature). They need to have a DKR or Batman Beyond movie so he (Keaton) can reprise the role.

Couldn’t stand Bale or Clooney in the role(s), Kilmer was fine, really. Affleck was easily the most intimidating; I just wish RL hadn’t reared its ugly head so as to keep him from continuing in the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Keaton for me (with a special place for Adam West who was a force of nature). They need to have a DKR or Batman Beyond movie so he (Keaton) can reprise the role.

Couldn’t stand Bale or Clooney in the role(s), Kilmer was fine, really. Affleck was easily the most intimidating; I just wish RL hadn’t reared its ugly head so as to keep him from continuing in the role.
    What's RL?

I don't think we have ever had a full out bad batman.

1. Adam west was great for the campy first generation comic book take of batman

2. George Clooney was good . it was the script and direction that failed him.

3. Ben Affleck was good but again another script and directing problem

4.Val Kilmer was fine in the role, a little dull as Bruce though

5. I would say the best batman was Michael Keaton, who slightly edges out Christian Bale.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-11-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Retired

I would say Keaton then West then Bale then Affleck. I've never sat all the way through the Kilmer or Clooney movies--either could have pulled off a good Batman if they were given a chance. West is the only one who really got to do a lot with the character. But for the limited screen time that he had, Keaton was able to do a lot of good acting as Batman and Bruce. I don't feel that Bale or Affleck were given enough to work with, but they were both good actors for the part.

Ultimate Member

My favorite Batman was and still remain Keaton.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I would say Keaton then West then Bale then Affleck. I've never sat all the way through the Kilmer or Clooney movies--either could have pulled off a good Batman if they were given a chance. West is the only one who really got to do a lot with the character. But for the limited screen time that he had, Keaton was able to do a lot of good acting as Batman and Bruce. I don't feel that Bale or Affleck were given enough to work with, but they were both good actors for the part.
    Well its beyond obvious the main issues with the Kilmer and Clooney movies . Joel Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Well its beyond obvious the main issues with the Kilmer and Clooney movies . Joel Schumacher
    Original Flatliners, St. Elmo's Fire, Cousins, DC Cab (Hey I like it), A Time to Kill, Phone Booth, 8mm, Lost Boys, and Freaking Falling Down to name some movies.

Comic fans need to let the Schumacher thing go the guy is talented filmmaker WB wanted more colorful kid friendly films to sell toys after Batman Returns want to blame someone blame WB Schumacher was doing what he was hired to do and has apologized to fans for dissapointing them.

He's a good filmmaker, a class act, and doesn't deserve to have his career defined by two Batman movies.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 09-11-2019 at 08:38 AM.