Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    And he can be plenty campy. I'm okay with that. That's less of a problem and it's more that he feels like a saturday morning cartoon villain.

Gillen at least wrote him interestingly.
    He is a Saturday morning cartoon villain. Now he is not generic Saturday morning cartoon villain.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    This is my favorite thing ever

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I wish he was closer to Gillen's Sinister aesthetically.

Attachment 86940
    Seems Gillen’s Sinister is like Oscar Wilde.
    Hickman’s hues closer to Tim Curry in Rocky Horror.

BANNED

The real question that no one is asking: where is Kat in all this?

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The complaining about Mr. Sinster is weird, What was his personality before Gillen? He is was a generic mad scientist. Now he is flamboyantly over the top mad scientist with a clearly identifiable personality. But it doesn't matter it is clear what the writers prefer to write.
    I kind of thought of him as a twisted version of Xavier. After that Cyclops and Phoenix mini, his backstory was paired with Apocalypse who seemed like a twisted Magneto.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    Seems Gillen’s Sinister is like Oscar Wilde.
    Hickman’s hues closer to Tim Curry in Rocky Horror.
    I’m also getting a hint of Vincent Price.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    Fun issue. Definitely a palate cleanser after last week's X-men deaths.

I'm really enjoying Gillen's and Hickman's use of Sinister. I never really got into him, as his design just seemed like a Colossus knock-off and he just seemed to have an unhealthy obsession with Jean Grey, and Scott Summers. Why didn't he ever go after Havok as much, who would presumably be less defended? Now, with Sinister and his clone army, we have a villain who can have charisma and different personality quirks while still being quite menacing due to his varied abilities and long term planning.

Sinister's secrets gives us a lot to puzzle over. Its unclear what time period this is from, but I presume its from everything that has happened in the X-men history so far.
    #1 "red shoes" seems to refer to a female Sinister
    #2 speaks of a "trendsetting mutant who was cut down in his prime", which seems to most likely refer to the death and return of Cyclops, but could also seem to refer to Wolverine, and Cable. I dunno what the 'island full of flowers to the flower that's the fullest' means (maybe flowers = mutant, so Cyclops to Jean?)
    #3 speaks of a 'deceased red pretender' and a 'pack with the devil' seems to refer to Madelyne. Dunno what secrets she had though.
    #4 speaks of 'current events' and something 'washed ashore' and to not 'embrace the revelry'. Dunno what that means.
    #5 speaks of essentially adultery involving four mutants. Implies Wolverine involved, and thus theoretically Cyclops, Madelyne (who had a kid), and Emma. Could be another group of three, but one of them would have to be married with a kid.
    #6. Speaks of a 'progerian mutant' with Sinister ties, and some 'destroyed' samples. Dunno who this refers to.
    #7. Speaks of Summers brothers, and how there are possibly more out there.
    #8 Speaks of Apocalypse and his four horseman, and how he prefers the originals.
    #9 Speaks of 'kids are all right' and 'non-couple couple' being apart 'that when they see each other again fireworks are going to ensue.' Non-couple couple implies non-romantic pairing, and with fireworks suggests Wolverine and Jubilee. Could be wrong.
    #10 Says that Sinister managed to ignore Xavier's mind wipe and so will ruin Xavier's plan.

There are also two Sinister secrets revealed - the John Proudstar DNA as Sinister's primary mutant power, and Inferno as the word that will bring everything crumbling down.

This goes with what we learned in the previous issues - Xavier got Sinister to create mutants from multiple sources, and some generations had pre-programmed code by Sinister to ruin everything. #10 partly explains why Xavier 'trusted' Sinister not to betray him, thinking that his telepathy could prevent Sinister from consciously knowing the plan.

With the story of Cypher speaking the Krakoa and creating a language, the revelation that Black Tom Cassidy is essentially a part of the island defense, and Sinister Secret reveal of 'Inferno', it makes me worried that Sinister will burn down Krakoa.

As others have said, not really caring about the future storyline with the Phalanx. It seems this story is just about finding a way to assimilate with the Phalanx. Dunno how this is affected with what happens in the previous eras (X^0, X^1, X^2). Only possible link would be how Cypher is able to understand and create language, so potentially he came up with a way for language of assimilation?
    You should read the posts before you for answers

BANNED

Gillen's was better. Hickman's reads like it's trying too hard and is also very silly. Gillen Sinister was a haughty, well-dressed lad with a biting wit who just happened to have nothing for the ladies. Gillen was more subtle. More fun.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I knew the name was familiar, but I also kept thinking it had to be about the soulsword.
    I've seen some speculation it might have to do with Limbo. Funnily enough, Surtur has spent time in a place called Limbo.

im.jpg

tw.jpg

BANNED

Could Apocalypse and his Horsemen defeat Surtur? Maybe they were just minions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Gillen's was better. Hickman's reads like it's trying too hard and is also very silly. Gillen Sinister was a haughty, well-dressed lad with a biting wit who just happened to have nothing for the ladies. Gillen was more subtle. More fun.
    To be fair, Gillen's could be camp on occasion.

want.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Could Apocalypse and his Horsemen defeat Surtur? Maybe they were just minions.
    Well, it didn't seem like a full-on rout, but that they figured out a way to seal them away (along with a whole half of Okkara), and that seems within Apocalypse's capabilities.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Yikes. The Sinister stuff was terrible, the Cypher stuff seemed to drag on forever and the future stuff was just plain boring. Oh well, had to happen eventually.

LMAO at those Sinister Secrets, though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Republicanesque X-Men fans. I will never understand how that's a thing.

On the non-Byrne, real topic of the thread: you folks are really drawn in by this issue? I don't get it. I'm finding out Secret History stories make me sleepy.
    I mean the art was beautiful, the dialogue was enjoyable, the Sinister Secrets stoked discussion, we got to see the origin of Krakoa with added lore and a hint towards future antagonist not to mention Hickman seems to be positioning the First Horsemen to be a big plot point down the line, the Ascension Er remains the most far removed but also a powder keg just waiting to explode we now know that the Phalanx serve some sort of universal Machine Empire that I'm sure will be brought up later on down the line.

I mean...it was a good fun issue especially compared to the more serious HoX issue.
    Last edited by loke13; 09-11-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

Do you guys think that knowing Jean and Cyclops will die fighting for him is enough to make Charles come to Sinister and get the ball rolling on a cloning safety net for his sacrificial students? Even seeemingly....knowing Sinister will try to betray him.