View Poll Results: Was Cyclops already over Jean before Emma came along?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 20.61%
  • No

59 45.04%
  • It's complicated.

45 34.35%
Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Wonder Woman has good boy steve trevor

Black widow had many love interests and scarlet Witch is dating brother voodoo. it doesn't take away from them
    Exactly, it is not as important as you say. Certainly not the only and most important thing for the character and also shows that an stable relationship in the case of Wondy can work.
    Thank you

Not every good relationship needs to lead to marriage to be important. Emma and Cyclops didn't marry, but i can't deny it wasn't important
    Not everyone needs marriage yes, but this part still misses the point. It is stll not character development.

If every guy falls for Jean, wouldn't she be tempted to try someone? Scott now shouldn't have the same power he had pre-cheating. She should be more free
    Jean feelings are special, they are worth, she isn't looking to feel a void, she is better and worth more than propping literal whos.

Famous beautiful people have lots of fans and tons of people in love for them. Doesn't mean they should feel something for them. Doesn't even mean those people that loves care about them or give them something meaningful

I would give this to spirit, unlike Cyclops, Jean never had any sort of lasting relationship with any other character (Wolverine doesn't count), so the desire to see her with someone that isn't Scott is understandable. I mean Peter was able to date Gwen and Felicia before marrying MJ, Steve has been with a couple of ladies before settling long term with Sharon, Superman has some with Lana and Cat before going steady with Lois, ect. I can see the argument of having Jean with someone else before coming back to Scott.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by LostZargatan View Post
    Exactly, it is not as important as you say. Certainly not the only and most important thing for the character and also shows that an stable relationship in the case of Wondy can work.
    Thank you
    I said what? I just said that having loves interests doesn't take away from these character stories

Not everyone needs marriage yes, but this part still misses the point. It is stll not character development.
    if it is a meaninfula nd long time relationship, it is character development

Jean feelings are special, they are worth, she isn't looking to feel a void, she is better and worth more than propping literal whos.

Famous beautiful people have lots of fans and tons of people in love for them. Doesn't mean they should feel something for them. Doesn't even mean those people that loves care about them or give them something meaningful
    you are putting Jean on a pedestal. Jean is really a good person, but that doesn't mean people doesn't deserve her. ok maybe some people don't

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I would give this to spirit, unlike Cyclops, Jean never had any sort of lasting relationship with any other character (Wolverine doesn't count), so the desire to see her with someone that isn't Scott is understandable. I mean Peter was able to date Gwen and Felicia before marrying MJ, Steve has been with a couple of ladies before settling long term with Sharon, Superman has some with Lana and Cat before going steady with Lois, ect. I can see the argument of having Jean with someone else before coming back to Scott.
    That wouldn't be a problem if Jean/Scott was a long term stable relationship. never saw Invisible Woman on another relationship, but she and reed have been together for so long.
    Now Jean and Scott is completely unbalanced, impossible for me to root for them getting together again
    Last edited by spirit2011; 09-15-2019 at 03:43 PM.

I said what? I just said that having loves interests doesn't take away from these character stories
    Good, Then Cyclops doesn't take away from her. I'm glad.
    I do think when the characters are less popular and interest they are wasting the bigger character time. Specially if the character being carried doesn't have anything more important. It feel like a symbiotic/parasiting connection.

if it is a meaninfula nd long time relationship, it is character development
    Ororo had one serious with Forge than now counts for nothing, outside of she having to carry him and he stalking her sometimes. Cyclops had one with Maddie and outside of Cable had no development. And Marvel acts like Cable is Jean's kid so at the end Maddie wasn't even needed for that. I don't think if tomorrow Black Widow started dating Woverine that would be development, soryr. It isn't, it is just soap opera and that notion that this is the most important thing for Jean that she needs some random at this point interchangable guy is reductive, she doesn't need that. I don't want that waste of her time.

you are putting Jean on a pedestal. Jean is really a good person, but that doesn't mean people doesn't deserve her. ok maybe some people don't
    Yeah, most don't. I feel that even if Scott messed up he has also pinned for her all his life when nobody else outside of Wolverine did. That puts him above any other guy that didn't care that she died.
    Last edited by LostZargatan; 09-15-2019 at 03:59 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I like the couple too and prefer it to Scott/Emma or Jean/Logan and want them to get back together.
    But making it all about who Jean should get with is on the fans or the writers who can't think of anything else to do with her. If she was a complex character with a lot of potential and lore attached to her (and she is), that shouldn't be an issue.
    That's been the problem, hasn't it? People, some who are just fans but unfortunately some folks who make decisions as well, don't want the character to have lore, nor multiple interesting connections. The idea is that she is supposed to be exactly like Maddie and Emma Frost, with one particular waking thought and nothing else. Well that and I guess Rachel and Cable.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I would give this to spirit, unlike Cyclops, Jean never had any sort of lasting relationship with any other character (Wolverine doesn't count), so the desire to see her with someone that isn't Scott is understandable. I mean Peter was able to date Gwen and Felicia before marrying MJn, Steve has been with a couple of ladies before settling long term with Sharon, Superman has some with Lana and Cat before going steady with Lois, ect. I can see the argument of having Jean with someone else before coming back to Scott.
    I feel this way as well. I don't hate Jean/Scott, but I do wish she got a chance to explore another relationship like Scott did. I'm still hoping she gets that chance, but I think the odds are slim. If she's single, that's fine with me though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I feel this way as well. I don't hate Jean/Scott, but I do wish she got a chance to explore another relationship like Scott did. I'm still hoping she gets that chance, but I think the odds are slim. If she's single, that's fine with me though.
    I think the last Uncanny installment confirms, no?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-15-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Yes, I love jott, I hope it comes back bigger and better than ever!
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 09-15-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Not necessarily. Its a strong embrace between the two, but I don't think Hickman will be doing too much with romantic relationships. X-Men is supposed to have a rotating roster, so who knows how long Jean will be present there, but she is on X-Force without Cyclops. So it might be some time before anything significant happens with them. Time will tell.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    same here
    I can't get enough of Scott/Jean
    they are my 4th favorite comic book couple after Peter/Mary Jane, Dick/Kory, Bruce/Selina (in that order)
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

It is a healthy wish for fans of a character want other relationships. If Scott/Jean is so good they gonna get back regardless

Quote Originally Posted by LostZargatan View Post
    Ororo had one serious with Forge than now counts for nothing, outside of she having to carry him and he stalking her sometimes. Cyclops had one with Maddie and outside of Cable had no development. And Marvel acts like Cable is Jean's kid so at the end Maddie wasn't even needed for that. I don't think if tomorrow Black Widow started dating Woverine that would be development, soryr. It isn't, it is just soap opera and that notion that this is the most important thing for Jean that she needs some random at this point interchangable guy is reductive, she doesn't need that. I don't want that waste of her time.
    Maddie and scott was a very short relationship, but it had many consequences. it was meaninful in a way

Yeah, most don't. I feel that even if Scott messed up he has also pinned for her all his life when nobody else outside of Wolverine did. That puts him above any other guy that didn't care that she died.
    He was married with her, why would another guy keep pining for jean all this time? Even Angel that loved her, move on when he saw that nothing would ever happen

Different writer and Rosenberg just wrote it as a meeting, not a definitive.

I think JDW atitute towards the Bishop-Jean romance on AOX pretty telling. he said that they wanted to give her another relationship, I think he knows pretty well that some fans pointing that she never dated anyone else and wanted a new relationship. So he probably knew they JoTT were going to be a couple again and decide that
    Last edited by spirit2011; 09-15-2019 at 06:35 PM.

I don't, with how much Morrison messed up. Any guy/relationship would look stable and have less complications by virtue of the characters being carried being boring
    If some minor character gets with her no way Marvel will screw it as bad as they did Jean/Scott. for the sake of the other character. I don't want Jean carrying somebody and being told that wasting her time propping up someone else is doing her a favor. Everything at the expense of Scott and Jott, no thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Yes, true equals. Jean needs someone that doesn't depend on her. Not propping someone and wasting her time by saying that he/she is hot. She isn't a ladder.

It is a healthy wish for fans of a character want other relationships. If Scott/Jean is so good they gonna get back regardless
    No, I don't want her propping minor characters by using Jean feeling's. If a character can't stand on his own he shouldn't be near her. If a character becomes important on depends on her that would be so cringe, so weak and convenient. Jott can't come back if some minor chracter disappears the moment Jean stops carrying him.

Maddie and scott was a very short relationship, but it had many consequences. it was meaninful in a way
    It was only meaningful in that we ended with an evil clone of Jean that everybody pretends doesn't exist for the huge damage it's existence does to Cyclops, Cable and Jean herself. An existence that could be totally erased and things would be better, In fact the X-books have pretended she doesn't exists, that she was just a fragment of Jean's soul. not very meaningful.
    As I said everybody acts like Cable is Jean's kid anyway.

He was married with her, why would another guy keep pining for jean all this time?
    This was an answer to the "Scott doesn't care every guy is better" nonsense. Because he cared way more than most or than any other guy that could be show off at his expense thanks to Morrison.
    Bishop-Jean romance on AOX pretty telling. he said that they wanted to give her another relationship, I think he knows pretty well that some fans pointing that she never dated anyone else and wanted a new relationship. So he probably knew they JoTT were going to be a couple again and decide that
    I haven't read it yet. I haven't want to read it yet. I can't understand thinking that Cyclops is bad and then rushing Jean with someone that not only had nothing with her but that the only thing he did should make Jean dislike him. That was strange. I haven't read age of X-man for that.
    I would recomend quoting me I don't want fans of certain characters to take my comments personal. All these critics I will do to any guy.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-15-2019 at 07:08 PM.

If I see any more personal comments/accusations/rude & condescending behavior I will be banning people. And FYI; I don't care if you edit your comments 10 minutes later. Exercise your better judgment before you post.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Incredible Member

There is that Fatal Attractions narration that some people kept bringing up. Outside of that... i got nothing, Jean has show that she cares about him, but not in a romantic way in spite of some insistence. Honestly after Hama's Wolverine, i always though that she pretty much acts like a nurse (not a perfect comparison but is the closest thing that it comes to mind), but without any romantic tones on her part, she even refers to him as a brother at some point.

That is why I said directly from Jean to Logan. That narration absolutely says it. Written by Nicieza. Surprisingly, for me, since I really enjoyed his Jott. He also wrote the only issue where Jean and Scott discussed whatever she feels for Logan. X MEN 28. Well, the only issue before I dropped the books. That's 15 years ago. That's why my question about what issues there were where Jean told Logan she loved him. Jean has been back awhile and I thought she might have said it then. 2003 and before I've read them all and I have no recollection.

Who is JDW ?

Read all the opinions since my last message and, I don't understand what's the point of trying to pinpoint who was wrong and who was right.
    As I stated I'm not a fan of Morrison's run, to me he did so heavy character derailment to convey his story but pretty much like real life, you can seldom blame the end of a relationship on only one person.
    Jean did mistakes, I can recall of three instances she kissed Logan (X-Tinction Agenda, Inferno, Morrison's run) and in one case, it was in front of both the full X-Factor/X-men team (though the X-men weren't really themselves). Cyclops had a fling with Psylocke though I don't remember the specifics. Emma abused of her therapeutic relationship with Scott.
    Many fans (and I'm talking about us) never got over Jean/Scott because how bad the Emma/Scott relationship was presented. Whedon's run was one of the most positive portrayal, this says a thing.
    You'd also noticed, the last time Scott really Smiled was around the Twelve. (I'm off the comics since around AvX so they may have been other instences I'm not aware of) If anything, Cyclops was still depressed and suffering from ptsd.

They were all written dysfuctionnal, they all did hurt each others and never get to fix things.